Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Handgun hiding spot in brz (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64107)

primalT 04-22-2014 09:53 PM

Handgun hiding spot in brz

I guess this is the best topic to post this in?

I have a 2014 BRZ. I didn't realize when buying it that the glove box didn't lock, so I currently have my handgun in a lockbox under the drive seat that is attached to the bottom of the seat frame by a cable, so it can't be stolen unless bolt-cutters are used.

The main issue is that it is 100% inaccessible which defeats the purpose of having it in there.

Missouri law requires it must be pretty well concealed if someone were to look inside my car through the windows.

Has anyone else found a solution to this?

My best thought was getting some sort of holster that hangs down from the steering wheel column, but I've only found these on google: http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server58...0.1280.jpg?c=1

I need it more hidden than that, like FULLY under the steering column so I can't see it, but I could reach underneath and grab it at a moments notice.

Kiske 04-22-2014 09:58 PM

Your worried about someone stealing it so you keep it in a lock box, yet the alternative is a holster clipped under the steering wheel? Why not just put a holster under the seat then?

primalT 04-22-2014 10:05 PM

I'm not as worried about someone stealing it, plus if it's down there they probably wouldn't find it anyway.

I'm 6'6" tall so my seat is all the way down, I can't even fit my hand under the seat so it can't go there either. The only way I get the lockbox down there is by sliding the seat forward and putting it down there from behind.

It's a decent sized gun too. Medium. Glock 19 gen 4

SkAsphalt 04-22-2014 10:24 PM

Wow...this is certainly a unique thread

boonFRS 04-22-2014 10:28 PM

Subbed. Maybe have a fabricator make you something like what they did in the Expendables.

wrb 04-22-2014 10:32 PM

Not an expert in gun holster/compartment..

but if you are 6-6 and have your seat all the way, why not think about putting it on the passenger side?

You probably have a long arm, and you do not have to push passenger seat all the way back either.

maybe between passenger seat and center console?
right behind the passenger seat?

Chimera 04-22-2014 10:33 PM

how about behind the dash trim on the passenger side?
there's a surprising amount of blank space there.

Turbo95eg6 04-22-2014 10:35 PM

If you must feel like you need a side arm with you at all times, why would you ever leave it in a car? Locks will be useless if your car gets stolen.

I have a CCW permit as well btw.

speedrye 04-22-2014 10:41 PM

Are you left-handed or right-handed, and how accessible does it need to be? Something good for a quick draw, or something accessible, but not in a hurry?

s2d4 04-22-2014 10:49 PM

why would you need a gun in your car?

Reaper 04-22-2014 10:51 PM

I will try and get pictures tomorrow but I use a pretty vanilla kydex paddle holster clipped over the lower plastic under the steering column much like in the picture above. Its actually the holster that comes with springfield xdms. It stays there while I'm driving since its very uncomfortable to carry a 5.25 inch barreled firearm in these seats. I then transfer it to my holster for carry when I leave the vehicle or if I'm going somewhere its unlawful to carry I put it between the driverside seat and the door. Not in the door cup holder thingy literally next to the seat. Its deep enough that you cant see it at all with the door closed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

nelsmar 04-22-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo95eg6 (Post 1691198)
If you must feel like you need a side arm with you at all times, why would you ever leave it in a car? Locks will be useless if your car gets stolen.

I have a CCW permit as well btw.

In the OP's defense... Post offices for one do not have regulated lock boxes and you are not permitted even with a CCW to cary inside. In some states you have special requirements (such as the OP) so as there are no lock boxes at the post office and you cant carry you have to drive home and drop it off. I have this problem on my motorcycle... No where to store it. Luckily AZ law doesn't have anything crazy for storing in a car.

Reaper 04-22-2014 10:55 PM

If you dont mind drilling blackhawk serpa holsters come with diffrent attachment mounts and you could mount one on the passanger side of the shifter/center console area. That's where my garage door thingy is Velcrod

Reaper 04-22-2014 10:58 PM

I carry everday and the car holsters purpose is its just plain uncomfortable to wear your firearm in these seats. But as far as unauthorized carry locations and needing to store it while going into a school or federal building check out how much room is next to the seat and the doorsill. My xdm5.25 and spare mags fit there.