Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Greddy T620z (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100552)

Cuztomizer 01-25-2016 08:27 PM

Greddy T620z

Hey
Anyone here already running greddy T620z?
Whats best way to tune T620z, OFT or EcuTek?

Xero-Limit 01-26-2016 08:11 PM

We've done a bunch of these kits and they work very well. For the price difference it is a no-brainer. We only use EcuTek to tune them. Always a better result than anything else as you have the custom mapping ability and hybrid speed density. With the t620z you can break 300 on pump, get high 300's on e85.

Eazy-V 04-28-2016 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 2523533)
We've done a bunch of these kits and they work very well. For the price difference it is a no-brainer. We only use EcuTek to tune them. Always a better result than anything else as you have the custom mapping ability and hybrid speed density. With the t620z you can break 300 on pump, get high 300's on e85.

Is this on stock internals?

I'm not looking to build my motor until next summer, but want to get a turbo in a few weeks. So how well does the Greddy T620Z kit work on a stock FRS with upgraded clutch and Greddy cat-back exhaust on 91 octane?

Xero-Limit 04-28-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-V (Post 2636265)
Is this on stock internals?

I'm not looking to build my motor until next summer, but want to get a turbo in a few weeks. So how well does the Greddy T620Z kit work on a stock FRS with upgraded clutch and Greddy cat-back exhaust on 91 octane?

You got it, stock internals. The 620z will hold 7-8 psi no problem without creep.

Eazy-V 04-28-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 2636344)
You got it, stock internals. The 620z will hold 7-8 psi no problem without creep.

Ok that sounds great!

How are you lowering/controlling the boost because Greddy said that the wastegate is set on a specific psi and they have no info on the actuator?

Jaden 04-29-2016 02:20 PM

look into how boost controllers work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-V (Post 2637057)
Ok that sounds great!

How are you lowering/controlling the boost because Greddy said that the wastegate is set on a specific psi and they have no info on the actuator?

whether mechanical or electronic, boost controllers work by giving the waste gate a lower reference than the actual boost, so even with a 7 psi spring in the waste gate, you can have 20 psi through a boost controller if you want, because regardless what the input to the controller is(determined by what you set it to), the output will be what the waste gate needs to open up.

Jaden

stevo585 04-29-2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 2523533)

I would think more like mid 400's on e85. Can't the T518z hit nearly 400whp? Maybe I'm getting this confused with the SBD kit.

Eazy-V 04-29-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaden (Post 2637952)
whether mechanical or electronic, boost controllers work by giving the waste gate a lower reference than the actual boost, so even with a 7 psi spring in the waste gate, you can have 20 psi through a boost controller if you want, because regardless what the input to the controller is(determined by what you set it to), the output will be what the waste gate needs to open up.

Jaden

Ok, that makes sense for increasing boost, but can I lower it from the factory wastegate with a boost controller?

I want to be able to run the T620z kit on all stock for about a year. I'm assuming the set pressure by the factory wastegate in the T620z is too high for all stock or no?

Jaden 04-29-2016 05:11 PM

nope...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-V (Post 2638109)
Ok, that makes sense for increasing boost, but can I lower it from the factory wastegate with a boost controller?

I want to be able to run the T620z kit on all stock for about a year. I'm assuming the set pressure by the factory wastegate in the T620z is too high for all stock or no?

I don't know of any controller that will allow you to run LOWER than spring pressure, you would need to replace the spring with one set for the lowest maximum boost you would want to run then you can use a boost controller to raise it if you want.

The only way you could would be for the controller to give MORE pressure to the waste gate than the manifold pressure, so it would need a built in pump to increase from the reference off of the manifold pressure, don't see too much call for that to be marketable, when you can just replace a 50 cent spring...

For instance, say your waste gate has a 14psi spring in it and you want to run 7 psi boost, you would have to add 7 psi of pressure to the reference in order to open your waste gate and run 7 psi of boost.

Jaden

I would check the spring for the t620z that you end up with. I wouldn't imagine that a 7 psi spring would be too much for a stock twin, especially if you reference off of the compressor housing because you will have some boost drop before it gets to the manifold if you're intercooled.

Eazy-V 04-29-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaden (Post 2638123)
I don't know of any controller that will allow you to run LOWER than spring pressure, you would need to replace the spring with one set for the lowest maximum boost you would want to run then you can use a boost controller to raise it if you want.

Jaden

Ok yeah thats what I was confused about since I heard people are running the T620z kit on stock engine, but Greddy said PSI is set at 15-20.

Anyone running it on stock engine?

fz6r 04-29-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-V (Post 2638109)

Stock wastegate had me at 12lbs of boost. But I've been running that without any issues. I stay out of boost for the most part. You'll be fine on stock motor. Just make sure to have a conservative tune

Jaden 04-29-2016 05:26 PM

12 lbs with stock fuel system?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fz6r (Post 2638130)
Stock wastegate had me at 12lbs of boost. But I've been running that without any issues. I stay out of boost for the most part. You'll be fine on stock motor. Just make sure to have a conservative tune

Does the greddy kit upgrade injectors fuel pump etc? I wouldn't run 12 lbs of boost, conservative or not on a completely stock twin. Most I would run is 8...

Jaden

Crazypinoy9 04-29-2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaden (Post 2638140)
Does the greddy kit upgrade injectors fuel pump etc? I wouldn't run 12 lbs of boost, conservative or not on a completely stock twin. Most I would run is 8...

Jaden

NOPE. but you really don't need to upgrade your injectors unless you're gonna go with e85. at 8psi you'll be more than fine. won't even need to upgrade your pump either. as long as you have a good tuner you can go 10psi on crappy SoCal 91oct for daily use :thumbsup:

*I've been running 10psi for about 12K miles now and still running strong. definitely get an oil cooler though

fz6r 04-29-2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaden (Post 2638140)

Jaden

No. It's just the turbo and piping. I bought injectors, map sensor, and fuel pump separate. The stock wastegate with the 620z is 12lbs. with the 518z you'd be at 7-8lbs. If you want to stay under 12lbs... go with the 518 over the 620.