Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   O2 sensor removal without an O2 socket? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136483)

H_K 08-22-2019 12:20 PM

O2 sensor removal without an O2 socket?

Just wondering, would using a regular wrench be alright when removing the o2 sensor during a header install? Not sure if buying the o2 sensor is really necessary.

Sportsguy83 08-22-2019 12:23 PM

The problem with an exhaust component is that they are pretty much seized by the heat. A socket is your best bet to avoid stripping the O2 sensor and getting into bigger, more expensive problems.

H_K 08-22-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 3250473)
The problem with an exhaust component is that they are pretty much seized by the heat. A socket is your best bet to avoid stripping the O2 sensor and getting into bigger, more expensive problems.

Ok. It's a tool that I think I'll only use the one time so I was hoping to avoid it. I think maybe I'll need it after all but was on the fence about it.

I plan to do the header install with hand tools but now I'm scared I won't be able to muscle off all the bolts on the header if they're all going to be seized... Any advice?

SpankNapkin 08-22-2019 12:41 PM

I did this job two weeks ago on my 2013, the exhaust bolts weren't terrible, just make sure you have a variety of short and long wrenches, as well as a variety of shallow and deep sockets. If your socket set does not have an extension and a swivel/ujoint you would be wise to get these before getting under your car.

The show stopper I ran into was the rear O2 was completely, utterly seized onto my OEM manifold. I had to install the plug into the bung my new header, and run without for a week until I ordered a new one off rockauto. I was able to disable some of the rear o2 compensations via my OFT/romraider so that I could get by, but this isn't a long term solution. I would suggest sourcing both rear and front O2's that you could pick up nearby at a moments notice if you get stuck in the middle of the job.

MX-5RACER 08-22-2019 12:41 PM

Not sure about the plug on these cars, but with my Miata I am able to get the plug through the box end of a 7/8" combination wrench. 7/8" is the O2 size, using a quality combination wrench I have been able to remove them when my O2 wrench bends too much.

Make sure you get a few of the little anti-seize packets at the parts store. Apply this to the threads ONLY, before you re-install the sensor.

EndlessAzure 08-22-2019 02:36 PM

Flare nut wrenches work great too and can be used in other situations, if you don't want to buy a single/whole socket set for one job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX-5RACER (Post 3250482)
Not sure about the plug on these cars, but with my Miata I am able to get the plug through the box end of a 7/8" combination wrench. 7/8" is the O2 size, using a quality combination wrench I have been able to remove them when my O2 wrench bends too much.

Make sure you get a few of the little anti-seize packets at the parts store. Apply this to the threads ONLY, before you re-install the sensor.

Also, buy 22 millimeter for the FRS. Don't buy the "universal" or 7/8: they are just slightly large and you run a high risk of rounding off the sides

---

As far as getting another O2 sensor, it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Get a generic replacement at an auto parts store or exact replacement at the dealer in case. At worst, you lose some shoe leather and a restocking fee.

As others have mentioned, the risk is there that the O2 sensor is seized on and the threads simply get mangled when you pull the sensor off. Mine took some elbow grease to get off, but luckily the threads were good.

That being said, it's worth getting an O2 sensor thread chaser as well.

Sportsguy83 08-22-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_K (Post 3250477)
Ok. It's a tool that I think I'll only use the one time so I was hoping to avoid it. I think maybe I'll need it after all but was on the fence about it.

I plan to do the header install with hand tools but now I'm scared I won't be able to muscle off all the bolts on the header if they're all going to be seized... Any advice?

Unless your car is rusted up because of salt, you shouldn't worry much.

You could rent the O2 socket from advanced auto parts, (at least here in the states) for free.

mswbrz 08-22-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_K (Post 3250469)
Just wondering, would using a regular wrench be alright when removing the o2 sensor during a header install? Not sure if buying the o2 sensor is really necessary.

Liquid wrench and a crows foot bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ermax 08-22-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_K (Post 3250477)

Dude they cost like three pennies. Just go buy one. Also, make sure the manifold is completely cold (like over night cold) before touching it or it will eat itself and force you to buy another cheap tool (thread tap) and new sensor.

Turdinator 08-23-2019 02:30 AM

I used and adjustable wrench for mine. But I do live in Australia where the roads are never salted and a non-stainless exhaust will easily live 10 years without issue...
:thumbup:

wparsons 08-23-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 3250541)
Unless your car is rusted up because of salt, you shouldn't worry much.

You could rent the O2 socket from advanced auto parts, (at least here in the states) for free.

He's from Canada, so I'd bet it's going to be pretty nasty.

Alpha86 08-23-2019 04:07 PM

My stock manifold was pretty rust free, i managed to get it off with an adjustable wrench ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its a lot easier to work on if you unplug them from the top, pull the header and unbolt the sensors when its off the car.