Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Squealing noise coming from pulley (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141708)

White142 07-31-2020 12:47 PM

Squealing noise coming from pulley

Moved across the country around 8 months ago and is now parked outside 24/7 about 500 feet from the ocean. Car used to make weird noise and I browsed the forums and figured it was the belt. Replaced the belt last week and now the noise is worse than ever. It begins at around 2000 RPM it gets worse as it goes up. I lifted the hood up and had a friend rev the engine and the pulley for the A/C compressor is seizing up. Putting 2 and 2 together I figure that the noise is the belt running over the seized pulley.

Anyone have any guesses on what caused this problem and how I can fix it?

p1l0t 07-31-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White142 (Post 3353816)
Moved across the country around 8 months ago and is now parked outside 24/7 about 500 feet from the ocean. Car used to make weird noise and I browsed the forums and figured it was the belt. Replaced the belt last week and now the noise is worse than ever. It begins at around 2000 RPM it gets worse as it goes up. I lifted the hood up and had a friend rev the engine and the pulley for the A/C compressor is seizing up. Putting 2 and 2 together I figure that the noise is the belt running over the seized pulley.

Tighten the belt?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

humfrz 07-31-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White142 (Post 3353816)

Hi ya, White142 and welcome to our forum - :clap:

As ol p1l0t mentioned, your first thing to try would be to tighten up the belt using the adjustment on the idler pulley.

While you have the idler pulley loosen up, you may wish to check to see if the pulley on the AC compressor runs free.

Try those things then come back.

White142 07-31-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3353871)
Hi ya, White142 and welcome to our forum - :clap:

As ol p1l0t mentioned, your first thing to try would be to tighten up the belt using the adjustment on the idler pulley.

While you have the idler pulley loosen up, you may wish to check to see if the pulley on the AC compressor runs free.

Try those things then come back.

Do you have a guide or video on how to tighten the belt?
Thanks for your help.

humfrz 07-31-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White142 (Post 3353888)
Do you have a guide or video on how to tighten the belt?
Thanks for your help.

You may find these helpful:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10227

"Turn the adjustment bolt on the side, top or bottom of the pulley counterclockwise with the ratchet and socket until the accessory belt is loose enough to remove. Tighten the tensioner pulley by turning the adjustment bolt clockwise with the ratchet and socket until the belt is tight."

;)

Ultramaroon 08-02-2020 12:25 AM

There is no accessory belt adjustment. None. If there's a squealing-screeching sound and it's not from the alternator right after a cold start, something is seriously wrong.

soundman98 08-02-2020 12:55 PM

sounds like you need a new a/c compressor-- either the pulley assembly, or the entire thing.

White142 08-02-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3354230)
There is no accessory belt adjustment. None. If there's a squealing-screeching sound and it's not from the alternator right after a cold start, something is seriously wrong.

Fixed it (I hope). Took off the new belt and wiped pretty much all the surface rust off pulleys and put the OLD belt that I replaced back on. No noise at all after driving around for an hour. I don't know if it was the new belt or the rust but I guess it's fixed now. The new belt in question is some continental rubber one I got on AutoZone; maybe it wasn't the correct size or something? I will be ordering an OEM belt to replace the old one that's on currently on since it is a little rough in the first place.

p1l0t 08-03-2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White142 (Post 3354515)
Fixed it (I hope). Took off the new belt and wiped pretty much all the surface rust off pulleys and put the OLD belt that I replaced back on. No noise at all after driving around for an hour. I don't know if it was the new belt or the rust but I guess it's fixed now. The new belt in question is some continental rubber one I got on AutoZone; maybe it wasn't the correct size or something? I will be ordering an OEM belt to replace the old one that's on currently on since it is a little rough in the first place.

Wrong size could definitely do it... it is a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ultramaroon 08-03-2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White142 (Post 3354515)

If the belt was too long, that would do it. Would be much easier to install, though. ;)

humfrz 08-03-2020 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3354230)

Oh? How does one adjust (change) the tension on the accessory belt?

:iono:

Ultramaroon 08-03-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3354548)
Oh? How does one adjust (change) the tension on the accessory belt?

:iono:

One does not. Tension is maintained automatically.

humfrz 08-03-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3354678)
One does not. Tension is maintained automatically.

WOW! Ol @Ultramaroon schooled old humfrz ..... again - :thumbsup:

Sorry, @White142 for me putting out bad info - :bonk:

Self adjusting, what won't they think of next! - :iono:

:sigh:

LimitedSlip 08-03-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3354548)
How does one adjust (change) the tension on the accessory belt? :iono:

Part number 6 on the page below is a spring loaded tensioning pulley. Not quit as big an improvement as the electric starter but close.

https://www.sparksparts.com/auto-par...d-pulleys-scat

@White142 Maybe get a spray can of fan belt dressing. With the engine idling CAREFULLY squirt some on the belt surface that contacts the pulleys. This helps eliminate any glazing on the belt and will instantly eliminate belt squeal.