Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Car doesn't want to shift into any gear when stopped (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142590)

BRZBoosted 09-30-2020 07:36 PM

Car doesn't want to shift into any gear when stopped

I'm new to this platform and this is the first problem I have run into. My car won't shift into any gear when it is standing still and on, but if I turn the car off it will shift into any gear with ease. To get the car to move I have to shut the car off put it into first then start it and it will run through the gears. Then it has the same problem when I come to a stop again. When I'm trying to shift into first gear with the clutch fully depressed the car drops slightly in rpm but doesn't move.
Thanks,
Matt

BlOody_BoOger 09-30-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZBoosted (Post 3371898)
I'm new to this platform and this is the first problem I have run into. My car won't shift into any gear when it is standing still and on, but if I turn the car off it will shift into any gear with ease. To get the car to move I have to shut the car off put it into first then start it and it will run through the gears. Then it has the same problem when I come to a stop again. When I'm trying to shift into first gear with the clutch fully depressed the car drops slightly in rpm but doesn't move.

Thanks,

Matt

Are u letting it warm up when u start it?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Oxyg3n 09-30-2020 07:39 PM

Have you tried to let go of the brake slightly to let the car move a bit so that it gives the internals some slack and enables you to shift into 1st? Sometimes I do d that when it's difficult to shift into 1st when stopped, that has helped.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

soundman98 09-30-2020 11:26 PM

are you pushing the clutch all the way to the floor? sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

BRZBoosted 10-01-2020 04:09 AM

The car is warm and the clutch is all the way to the floor. I filled the clutch reservoir and bled the system with no results. Tomorrow I'm going to check and make sure that the trans is full.

RZNT4R 10-01-2020 05:37 AM

Clutch not releasing completely, if it's bled properly, confirm the pedal linkage is working correctly, check for a fluid leak at the master cylinder rod under the dash, if everything checks out your issue will be in the bell housing, either a worn clutch, bad slave or damaged fork.

Tcoat 10-01-2020 06:45 AM

Stock clutch? Flywheel?
Has the TOB been changed?

Spuds 10-01-2020 09:20 AM

+1 sounds like a clutch issue

BigTuna 10-01-2020 09:25 AM

Have you tried slowly coming off the clutch pedal while trying to get into gear? Sometimes as I have to let it out a bit to get it to engage. It mostly happens to me when going into reverse, but I have felt it a few other times too.

dasting 10-01-2020 11:07 AM

If this is happening every time it is not a user error issue, some part of the system is not working correctly. Either you have a bad seal in the master or slave cylinder and fluid is getting past and therefore the clutch fork is not fully moving, or the clutch fork is bent, or there is air in the system unlikely since you said you bled it) or there is a pressure plate issue (worn spring diaphragm, bent clutch fork, etc). I would chase master/slave faults first.

NoHaveMSG 10-01-2020 11:54 AM

Any bets on another ACT clutch? Anyone?

humfrz 10-01-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZBoosted (Post 3371898)
Thanks,
Matt

Hello BRZBoosted and welcome to our forum - :clap:

Have you tried adjusting the clutch?

Tcoat 10-01-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3372112)
Any bets on another ACT clutch? Anyone?

This is why I asked if stock. The car is boosted so probably a safe bet the clutch is changed.
Everybody is trying to diagnose something when we don't even know what parts are in there.

NoHaveMSG 10-01-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3372131)
This is why I asked if stock. The car is boosted so probably a safe bet the clutch is changed.
Everybody is trying to diagnose something when we don't even know what parts are in there.

After the threads that have been popping up the past few weeks, we almost need a sticky on "how to ask a question."