Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Are GT86 Headlights Plug and Play with FRS? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24352)

tbwoodlee 12-15-2012 11:02 AM

Are GT86 Headlights Plug and Play with FRS?

EDIT
I just wanted to put in a quick edit to let newer members of the thread know the answer the question I asked in December. No they are not directly compatible, but it is a very easy fix to be honest.

In this thread Moto-P has provided an excellent source of information on how to repin them to make them functional. So, if you are thinking about getting the lights, but are worried you cannot install them, have no fear. It is actually one of the easier DIY's I have done to the car. I made a quick DIY that you can read here:
Installing GT86 Headlamps on your FR-S

Original Post below
-------------------
Hey guys, I am about to order the LHD w/ Eurospec leveling GT86 headlights. For those who have done this, are they plug and play or am going to have to do additional work once I receive the lights? I have tried searching but I am not having any luck.

I guess if no one knows I will have to be the test subject. Thanks guys.

Frostyman 12-15-2012 01:27 PM

Go to speedhunters. I'm almost 100% certain there was a step by step article they did on using EDM lights in an FRS

tbwoodlee 12-15-2012 01:32 PM

Awesome, thanks man, I will check it out. I appreciate the help.

86_ZN6 12-15-2012 01:38 PM

no. wiring harness and connectors are different

paperboy42190 12-17-2012 02:13 PM

yea its a bit different, might need work

WWEVOX 12-17-2012 03:07 PM

I've done it and it's not too hard.
The connectors are different, jdm/eudm is an 8 pin connector (only six live pins), and the usdm is a 6 pin connector (only 4 live pins). So I de-pinned each and put all 6 pins from the jdm lamp into the 6 pin usdm connector. (I don't know the wiring off the top of my head but maybe I'll do a DIY write up.)
Reference: the wiring harness has 6 live pins but the usdm lamp is only using 4 (since High beams and DRLs are on the same line). The two unused pins are live when parking lights or headlights are turned on, so I pinned up the LEDs to those. And now I have full LED DRL and HID low/high functionality.

If you feel okay to take off the bumper and re-pin, it's not too bad.

GT86drifter 12-17-2012 03:22 PM

http://www.garagefrs.com/jdm-headlight-conversion/

you are welcome

plan to do the same later next year

tbwoodlee 12-17-2012 03:35 PM

I expected a wiring change, but I was being hopeful there would not be one, however this seems really easy. Thank you very much guys.

tripjammer 12-17-2012 07:01 PM

How much are these lights going for these days?

Kurenai 12-17-2012 09:54 PM

Thats.. interesting.. are there no 'brights' with the EUDM/JDM HIDs?

WWEVOX 12-18-2012 02:29 AM

So I looked at FRSgarage and how they did it but I prefer it my way. So the FRS High beams and DRLs are on the same wire. So what they did is plug that wire into the JDM LED DRLs and just left the high beams out. So they only get low and DRL, no high beams.

Instead of doing that, I removed the DRL resistor so that the DRL/high beam wire only works for the high beams (resistor is under the right lamp when you take off the bumper). Low beam wires go to the low beams. And the unused wires turn on the LEDs whenever the parking, low, or high beam lights are on. You lose the DRLs but I just run with the parking lights on.

You can see them here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20956

tbwoodlee 12-18-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripjammer (Post 614185)
How much are these lights going for these days?

There has not been much of a change in price to my knowledge, still about 2k.

Quote:

Instead of doing that, I removed the DRL resistor so that the DRL/high beam wire only works for the high beams (resistor is under the right lamp when you take off the bumper). Low beam wires go to the low beams. And the unused wires turn on the LEDs whenever the parking, low, or high beam lights are on. You lose the DRLs but I just run with the parking lights on.
Hmm... I like the sound of that. I would prefer that my LEDs be on all the time.

So I am about to order these, clearly I need the LHD euro spec, but do I need the leveling sensor? I am assuming that I do.

Thanks again for all the help and input fellas.

WWEVOX 12-18-2012 12:31 PM

LHD eauro spec is the best way to go. You would likely get the high light cutoff on the correct side. However, I understand that if you order right from the factory, you will get the lamp unadjusted for either side, meaning you wouldn't blind people in either direction but you also don't benefit from a little extra lighting. My lamps are like this. Since I'm not being a blinding jerk to anyone, I don't mind not having the extra lumination off to the side.

The leveling sensor isn't necessary. The default position is the "0" height so it's where you would have your lights set most of the time. (but in case you want leveling, you need the sensor and leveling ecu).

tripjammer 12-18-2012 07:56 PM

I don't understand why these are still $2k! Hopefully the price will drop next year or the 2014 model FR-S will have hids...