Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Rear Deck "popping/clicking/tapping/ticking" noise. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13451)

Sigh-on-Rice 08-01-2012 02:11 PM

Rear Deck "popping/clicking/tapping/ticking" noise.

Description of the noise:
- Sounds like a plastic bottle popping back into the original shape after it has pressed in.
- Noise comes from rear that sounds like clicking/tapping.
- With the rear seats down, the noise becomes sharper that sounds more like popping/ticking.
- It happens regardless of the vehicle speed.
- It happens even on a smooth road.
- It starts after some miles are put on. As early as 600 miles and as late as 3500 miles. Mine started after 1k miles.
- You may not notice the noise if you always have the radio on.
- It happens as often as 10 times in 1/4 mile, but sometimes as seldom as once every 5 minutes.
- This is not any of the 6 noises below:
-- 1 --The rattling noise of the 3rd brake light housing.
-- 2 -- The tapping noise of the emergency trunk release cable in the trunk.
-- 3 -- The noise caused by the rear seats not fully locked in place.
-- 4 -- The rattling/buzzing noise caused by the transmitter not being snug. LINK
-- 5 -- The rattling noise caused by the white plastic clips under the foam layer below the trunk liner. LINK
-- 6 -- The popping noise caused by the rear seats latch. LINK

Video of the Noise:

[ame]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNdbWnXqwps[/ame]

The sources of the noise:
Source #1
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=3096
Source #2
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=3098

Solution
:
TSB
(11/13/2012): Subaru released TSB for this noise. 12-140-12
Quick and Easy Fix:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=3097
For source #1, press the red circle in the above picture with your thumb firmly and apply a lube spray (silicon lube spray, W
hite Lithium Grease spray, WD40, or etc.) as shown in the above picture.
No easy fix for source #2 as of now since it requires to remove the rear deck panel.

Fix done by the dealers in Japan: Adjust the spacing of the sources of the noise to stop them from rubbing. No spraying or center punching is done.
Fix done by the dealers in U.S. (Prior to TSB):Center punch the spot welds..

What to do after the noise is gone:
[Thanks :thumbsup:] all my posts in this thread. j/k :happyanim:

Another popping noise fix found by CJB:
Where to access the location from.
Source of the noise and the fix.

Another one by Mikepage:
DIY - Fix your Rear Deck "popping/clicking/tapping/ticking" noise.

Old news from here. Leaving them here for the record only.

8/3/2012

I just found a new information posted on a Japanese message board dated 8/4 (Japan is a day ahead of U.S.)

Description of the defect:
Below the 3rd brake light mount, there is a panel that is welded on to the body. Some cars don't have enough weld and the panel rubs against the body causing the noise. This issue is registered as a known defect at the dealers (... in Japan).

8/7/2012
Scion reference number is 1208070591, if anyone is willing to contact them.
LINK >>>>> HERE!

8/20/2012
First FR-S in U.S. is fixed.
TAS# 122230369
LINK >>>>> HERE!

8/23/2012
The more of us taking an action for this problem, the earlier we get our cars fixed. It only takes 5 minutes of your time to help yourself and everyone else with this problem.
Scion Contact >>>>> LINK!
Subaru Contact >>>>> LINK!

9/5/2012
Most likely the first BRZ fixed in U.S.
LINK >>>>> HERE!

9/6/2012
Just the center punch seems to fix the problem.
LINK >>>>> HERE!

9/21/2012
A one minute quick and easy fix that is to apply a silicon lube spray in two spots in the trunk behind the rear seats & below the rear deck gets rid of the noise.
LINK >>>>> HERE!

The source of the noise:
The two spots in the red circles below.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=1962

Solution:
Quick and Easy Fix (9/21/2012): Apply a silicon lube spray,
White Lithium Grease spray, or etc. inside of the two spots circled in red in the above picture.
I sprayed WD-40 for three to five seconds in each hole until it started to drip and there has been no pop since 9/21/2012. *UPDATE (11/13/2012)* Subaru's TSB shows more specific locations to spray the lube.

Tt3Sheppard 08-01-2012 05:30 PM

I have some engineers looking at my car right now at the dealer. I'll mention this along with the ethanol issue as well although I'm sure they know about it already.

davisk6 08-01-2012 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info. Now I can stop wondering what it is. Right now, it's not too annoying, so I'll leave it be. If a full TSB comes out, I'll get it taken care of.

NRGBalanced 08-01-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 352630)
Description of the noise:

Can't thank you enough for summarizing this! You've nailed all the symptoms I've had so far and I even had mine start happening on the trip where I crossed 1k miles. How did you figure out these were all the common symptoms?

It's just a relief to know I'm not losing my mind or being too picky -- I went to the dealer where they told me they could not reproduce it, and I've spent a few hours poking around in the trunk trying to diagnose it. I was about ready to pay my brother to ride around in the back to listen for it!

Sigh-on-Rice 08-01-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tt3Sheppard (Post 353098)
I have some engineers looking at my car right now at the dealer.

I hope you'll get a good news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisk6 (Post 353196)
If a full TSB comes out, I'll get it taken care of.

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRGBalanced (Post 353267)
How did you figure out these were all the common symptoms?

Since I couldn't find any information while googling in English, I started to google in Japanese (my 1st language). Then I found some people with this problem with their 86s and BRZs. I mentioned my symptoms in a message board and they had exactly the same symptoms.

Subie 08-01-2012 08:02 PM

I'm hearing what sounds like plastic bottles rubbing together from the back of the car (what a case of water bottles sounds like when it flexes); does that sounds like this noise?

Sigh-on-Rice 08-01-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subie (Post 353459)
a case of water bottles sounds like when it flexes

I think that would sound more like a metal squeaking sound. Something like:
squeaaaak... squeak........ squeaaaaak.

This noise is more like quick tick/click noises. Something like:
tick!..... click!.. click!............ tick!

neutron256 08-01-2012 08:15 PM

So the fix is rear seats up and radio on. Done that's pretty much all the time :)

mr. slim 08-02-2012 12:55 AM

Finally someone diagnosed it!
Hope a TSB comes out soon cause I rather have my car getting warranty done for everything in a day rather than coming back and forth

Thanks again!

NRGBalanced 08-02-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 353492)
So the fix is rear seats up and radio on. Done that's pretty much all the time :)

Sounds like the typical Click & Clack repair solution.

Liquidsnake 08-02-2012 12:41 PM

That sound has been driving me mad for almost 3 weeks. Can I fix it myself by placing 3m tape or some kind of buffer between the plastic, and the metal frame?

Sigh-on-Rice 08-02-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 353492)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRGBalanced (Post 354816)
Sounds like the typical Click & Clack repair solution.

Yes, if you always have the radio on, then it won't affect you until when you try to sell the car and the buyer notices the noise. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. slim (Post 354086)
Finally someone diagnosed it!
Hope a TSB comes out soon cause I rather have my car getting warranty done for everything in a day rather than coming back and forth

Thanks again!

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I learned it the hard way :sigh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquidsnake (Post 354882)
That sound has been driving me mad for almost 3 weeks. Can I fix it myself by placing 3m tape or some kind of buffer between the plastic, and the metal frame?

I understand how annoying this noise gets. Not so bad in the beginning, but it gets more and more annoying as you hear it every single trip.

By reading what was done to get some of the owners' cars fixed, it did not sound like something you could do on your own. They used a special tool to pin point the cause of noise. Some dealers even had to send the cars to a factory to get the welding or adjustment corrected. Although some sound deadening might get rid of the noise, it won't fix the source of the noise. I would still be worrying that the source of the noise might get worse and the noise might come back.

Liquidsnake 08-02-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 354970)
Yes, if you always have the radio on, then it won't affect you until when you try to sell the car and the buyer notices the noise. :)

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I learned it the hard way :sigh:

I understand how annoying this noise gets. Not so bad in the beginning, but it gets more and more annoying as you hear it every single trip.

By reading what was done to get some of the owners' cars fixed, it did not sound like something you could do on your own. They used a special tool to pin point the cause of noise. Some dealers even had to send the cars to a factory to get the welding or adjustment corrected. Although some sound deadening might get rid of the noise, it won't fix the source of the noise. I would still be worrying that the source of the noise might get worse and the noise might come back.

:brokenheart::brokenheart::brokenheart:

civicdrivr 08-03-2012 12:23 AM

I have this noise. Im a bit worried that the dealers were unable to fix the issue, and instead had to send the car back to the factory.

I dont see that happening in the US, but still...