Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Cold weather start (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80318)

oppiee 01-07-2015 06:23 PM

Cold weather start

Freezing today, took a good 5 seconds before the car started.
Then I hear some knocking. I have had that knocking since winter, but its worse in the cold. Anyone have the same issue?

Bergen23 01-07-2015 06:27 PM

I once had a long start. However, I let the fuel injectors warm up before I start the car. Usually 15-20 seconds before I crank it. That could be the long start issue if you tried to just turn it over immediately.

As for the knocking, not a clue. Have you ever taken it to the dealer or a shop to get it diagnosed?

BRZZZZZZZZZZ 01-07-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2081531)
I let the fuel injectors warm up before I start the car.

Uhmmmm wat?

Do you mean let the fuel pump prime to build pressure?

Sweet48 01-07-2015 07:28 PM

Knocking could be from the ultra cold oil and it not flowing into the motor fast enough. Not 100% on that one but someone feel free to say "shut up, you dont know what you're talking about".

Also priming the fuel pump prior to very cold starts is a good practice.

D_Thissen 01-07-2015 07:42 PM

It was freezing up here in Tbay (-30 before the wind last night). I plugged in the block heater for about an hour and a half this morning and she fired right up. 0W20 oil is amazing! I never had a problem in Whitby with the cold though.

Bergen23 01-07-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ (Post 2081583)
Uhmmmm wat?

Do you mean let the fuel pump prime to build pressure?

Oh dear, sorry I used an incorrect terminology. Maybe for someone who I presume has been an auto enthusiast for a while, you could be less of a ****head to someone new to the game and cut the condescension.

pushrod 01-07-2015 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oppiee (Post 2081527)
Freezing today, took a good 5 seconds before the car started.
Then I hear some knocking. I have had that knocking since winter, but its worse in the cold. Anyone have the same issue?

Don't worry about the "knocking". It's just small afterfires. Anyone that has heard an old rotary starting up will know exactly what I'm talking about.

The only thing I do in the winter is let the fuel pump run before turning the key, and then I let the engine run while I scrape all the snow and ice off of the car.

After that, I drive in first gear slowly all the way down my street. That helps circulate things in the transmission a bit. Without it, I can't get into second gear easily.

Two minutes later the car is as ready as it will ever be. HTH.

pushrod 01-07-2015 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2081628)
Oh dear, sorry I used an incorrect terminology. Maybe for someone who I presume has been an auto enthusiast for a while, you could be less of a ****head to someone new to the game and cut the condescension.

Welcome to the internet.

Bergen23 01-07-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 2081782)
Welcome to the internet.

I always forget that people aren't exactly patient, or polite. I blame my motorcycle, as it has a red light with FI underneath it while the fuel pump is priming and that's what I thought of when I typed the post.

wparsons 01-08-2015 06:57 AM

Forget about cold starts, you *should* always let the pump fully prime before cranking the engine over. You can hear it if you listen, but if you wait for the fuel gauge to move to however much gas you have left that's typically long enough.

As for the cold starts, I definitely get some after fires or mis fires when it's really cold, they go away once there's a bit of heat in the engine (like 30 seconds of idling).

It was cold enough last night that with the clutch out in neutral the idle actually dropped a couple hundred RPM from the drag of the gearbox fluid, and even made the car lurch forward a couple inches.

BRZZZZZZZZZZ 01-08-2015 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2081628)

I suggest you leave the forum now if you think that was rude, because your gonna be butthurt about a lot more things around here.

FLYFISHR 01-08-2015 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=wparsons;208215
It was cold enough last night that with the clutch out in neutral the idle actually dropped a couple hundred RPM from the drag of the gearbox fluid, and even made the car lurch forward a couple inches.[/QUOTE]

I find mine does the same any time it's been sitting in the real cold weather.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 01-08-2015 11:22 AM

Don't boxer engines get piston slap when really cold?

daiheadjai 01-08-2015 12:00 PM

Good to know - I have not been priming my fuel pump before starting.
It hasn't been an issue since I park in underground garages most of the time, but this is certainly going to be useful...