Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Tire help for DD please (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142593)

ZionsWrath 10-01-2020 03:17 AM

Tire help for DD please

I am DD a 2015 Mazda 3 sToruing
OEM size is 215/45/18 on 7"
I switched to 16x7 and running 225/55/16 as I like the ride quality and fat tire look

I need a summer tire/"performance" tire that fits on my 16x7, I am open to other sizes

I am currently running BFGoodrich GForce Sport Comp 2. I am happy with their performance so if I can't find anything else I will just buy them again.

I purchased these 3 years ago as it was the only thing decent in this size on Tire Rack. I replace my summers every 3 years, and I just got 3 punctures in one of them so I'm in the market now...

You guys here are very knowledgeable that's why I'm posting here

ZDan 10-01-2020 06:18 AM

Why summer instead of all-seasons? Surely you'd like the option to be able to drive this car in snow, ice, cold, etc. should you have to, right?
BFG GForce Sport Comp 2 A/S Plus looks like a good choice. General GMax AS-05 are also very good for less $$$
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=253

*IF* warmer-weather performance is so uber-important, *and* you *know* no one will have to drive the car in cold/snow/ice/etc, *and* you need to get 30k, 40k+ out of a set of tires then maybe a Ultra-High Performance summer tire is indeed what you want. In which case BFG Gforce Sport Comp 2 is your only good choice in that size. But it is lacking a bit in wet grip vs. others in that class:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=235

But in NY, why would you *need* summer tires *now*?

You might consider UHP all-seasons. For sure you could get tires with better performance in the wet. Which for a street car, for me, is the metric to go by. In addition to snow performance if you might have to drive in snow...

Regarding size, there are a lot more higher-performance tire options in 225/50-16 and 205/55-16 that would fit 16x7, but those sizes are a bit smaller in diameter than OEM for '15 Mazda3 (too bad they deviated from "normal" 25" diameter IMO!), so if not lowered it might look a little funny...

ZionsWrath 10-01-2020 01:23 PM

All seasons don't work for me, i damage them from cornering.

I am the only one driving and I have a winter set.

Mileage not really an issue, i probably put 20k over 3 "summers" on a set. I have the OEM 18s with all seasons as backup/spare

I would have consider 4s if it was available. Maybe I should get 17s....

dragoontwo 10-01-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath (Post 3372135)

I am the only one driving and I have a winter set.

Mileage not really an issue, i probably put 20k over 3 "summers" on a set. I have the OEM 18s with all seasons as backup/spare

I would have consider 4s if it was available. Maybe I should get 17s....

What does your alignment look like?

ZDan 10-01-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath (Post 3372135)

On the street, in a (stock?) '15 Mazda3? Ha-ha, OK!
I bet you could use some front camber! In any case IMO at this point you may as well skip UHP summers (which I chewed up my fair share of sets of before sticking strictly to EP category, sometimes MP).

If you want performance street tires that will stand up to hard cornering on a front-heavy fwd car with 16x7 wheels, I'd go 225/50-16 Max Perf (Conti ECS) or Extreme Perf (RT660, ZIII, etc).

Quote:

Maybe I should get 17s....
Maybe 235/45-17 on 17x8 or 8.5?

TunaNoCrust 10-01-2020 02:57 PM

I run Yokohama V105 on my DD during the summer and had on the GForce Comp2 A/S before....I would rather run my Blizzaks in the summer than get the Comp2 tires again. The V105 beat them out in every single aspect. The V105 have great dry grip, exceptional wet grip, wear well for 240 treadwear, quiet, and were cheaper. I think Yokohama's new version is the V601?

Spuds 10-06-2020 06:10 PM

My opinion, get the Yokohama Advan Sport V105s (or whatever supersedes them) if they come in the right size. I run those in the summer on my FRS having retired my BFG Sport comp 2 AS to winter duty. The v105s are better across the board.

weederr33 10-07-2020 12:05 AM

I have the Yokohama Fleva V701's on order and will update how they are for DD once I get them.

Muskoka800 10-07-2020 02:32 PM

I ran the Comp 2 on my supercharges Yaris and enjoyed them until they started howling at half tread depth.
Currently running Conti Extreme Contact Sport on my FRS and can’t imagine a better tire for my high mileage DD. And the work and last decently when lapping TMP although dedicated track rubber is in the plan for 2021.

wil5bart 10-14-2020 10:31 PM

Last month, I bought Hankook V12 Evo2 from 4wheelonline to replace my Continental tires and I noticed a huge improvement. Cornering is impressive and controllable. In wet pavement, they stick far better than I expected.