Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Borla UEL Header installed = CEL! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50524)

jordanrw260 11-01-2013 09:30 PM

Borla UEL Header installed = CEL!

I just had my Borla UEL Header installed today. I reset the ECU and drove about 17 miles I got the CEL. I had a bung welded after my HFC on my Berk Front Pipe for the o2 sensor to go after the cat. The shop also used the o2 spacer I provided to them (Vibrant Performance o2 spacer). The option with the smallest hole was used. I bought it from FT86SpeedFactory here http://ft86speedfactory.com/o2-spacer-for-cel-1090.html

My other mods are a drop in filter, kartboy pulley, and a UniChip with the All Drop in + All Cat back + All Headers +Standard Fuel and Timing map.

I thought the route I took would be a pretty sure bet on me not getting a CEL. Should I not use the o2 spacer since it is already behind the cat?

Thanks for any input

And right now I'm happy with the unichip and will not be getting any other tune.

CodyFRS 11-01-2013 09:33 PM

This makes me nervous about installing my Borla UEL. I have no tube and vibrant o2 spacer as well.

BlueDubbinTDI 11-01-2013 09:40 PM

Its totaled

SmsAlSuwaidi 11-01-2013 11:08 PM

why weld something into your HFC when you already got a spacer ?

I have the borla UEL with the vibrant spacer and i get a cell rarely every now, and then it goes away

Kelbyat07 11-02-2013 01:03 AM

Is it necessary to get a sensor with the headers?

And you have borla headers with berks pipe right? If so, how loud is it because i am planning to go with the same set up.

lgunnz 11-02-2013 02:03 AM

I installed mine a month ago with no spacer and still no CEL. Can't you get rid of the CEL with the Unichip

FR-S Matt 11-02-2013 02:06 AM

Get it tuned properly and all this goes away. Spacers are hit or miss, and O2 extensions might be the same as well. Haven't seen many try that. You don't need a spacer if you have a bung welded in your front pipe.

jordanrw260 11-02-2013 12:36 PM

The sound is barely louder than stock with the HFC on the front pipe and a catless header. It sounds meaner when you rev it out but standard driving is barely impacted. Cold start is louder but I was kind of shocked at how quiet it still was.

jordanrw260 11-02-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy (Post 1308812)
Which CEL did you get? lean or rich? It makes a big difference!

Can you point me to another thread that would possibly tell me how to check the code? I'm not even aware on how to do that.

jordanrw260 11-02-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S Matt (Post 1308714)
Get it tuned properly and all this goes away. Spacers are hit or miss, and O2 extensions might be the same as well. Haven't seen many try that. You don't need a spacer if you have a bung welded in your front pipe.

I wonder if I remove the spacer everything would be fine then?

TopGearSolutions 11-02-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanrw260 (Post 1309108)
Can you point me to another thread that would possibly tell me how to check the code? I'm not even aware on how to do that.

You could go to something like an autozone to get the code pulled for free.
You may want to try running without the o2 spacer and see if it goes away.
Otherwise tuning will get rid of the CEL for sure assuming it's from being catless.

You still have the primary o2 sensor before the cat and the secondary o2 sensor after the high flow cat, right?

jordanrw260 11-02-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopGearSolutions (Post 1309160)
You could go to something like an autozone to get the code pulled for free.
You may want to try running without the o2 spacer and see if it goes away.
Otherwise tuning will get rid of the CEL for sure assuming it's from being catless.

You still have the primary o2 sensor before the cat and the secondary o2 sensor after the high flow cat, right?

That is correct, the only thing I noticed that the shop did was put the primary o2 in the secondary o2 spot on the borla and then plugged the original primary o2 spot. Now the secondary is behind the cat on the front pipe.

TopGearSolutions 11-02-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanrw260 (Post 1309254)
That is correct, the only thing I noticed that the shop did was put the primary o2 in the secondary o2 spot on the borla and then plugged the original primary o2 spot. Now the secondary is behind the cat on the front pipe.

I would personally put the primary back in it's intended spot. Definitely pull the CEL code now as it might not be a cat efficiency code but a lean code or something from the primary o2 sensor being in the wrong spot.

If you dont have the tool you can also get a o2 sensor removal tool at a local auto parts store. It will make it easier.

jordanrw260 11-02-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopGearSolutions (Post 1309377)
I would personally put the primary back in it's intended spot. Definitely pull the CEL code now as it might not be a cat efficiency code but a lean code or something from the primary o2 sensor being in the wrong spot.

If you dont have the tool you can also get a o2 sensor removal tool at a local auto parts store. It will make it easier.

Thanks, I'll talk with the Shop on Monday to see if they can relocate the primary sensor back to its intended spot. Also do you agree with FR-S Matt above saying I do not need the spacer in the 2nd o2 sensor behind the HFC?