Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   CEL and hard downshift to 1st(AT) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75813)

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 04:40 PM

CEL and hard downshift to 1st(AT)
 
I made a muffler delete just as Berk's was made. Sounded great but he drone started to get to me. So I put a resonator in the middle between the two tips similar to Work's exhale AB-R exhaust. After I left the shop it was fine and everything sounded perfect barely any drone. By now the next day after install I have a CEL and when I downshift from 2nd to 1st its like a small jerk (Automatic transmission). This happened before, when I put in a K&N drop in filter but the symptoms were right away, But went away the next day. Any ideas on whats going on? I barely have 6000 miles.

Tye300 10-12-2014 04:53 PM

Did you try pulling the code?

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 05:08 PM

I would've but don't have a device or anything to pull it.

drewbot 10-12-2014 05:10 PM

Just don't initiate a downshift to 1st unless you're moving above 20 mph

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 05:14 PM

Its whenever I come to a stop under (10-15 ) mph like a stop sign or a light.

Krovi 10-12-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle (Post 1981453)
(Automatic transmission)


Well...

steve99 10-12-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle (Post 1981453)
I made a muffler delete just as Berk's was made. Sounded great but he drone started to get to me. So I put a resonator in the middle between the two tips similar to Work's exhale AB-R exhaust. After I left the shop it was fine and everything sounded perfect barely any drone. By now the next day after install I have a CEL and when I downshift from 2nd to 1st its like a small jerk (Automatic transmission). This happened before, when I put in a K&N drop in filter but the symptoms were right away, But went away the next day. Any ideas on whats going on? I barely have 6000 miles.

neither a drop in filter or catback exhaust changes should cause cel code. unless something was damaged or dislodged during install ie maf sensor or hoses causing air leak or connections , O2 sensors are miles away from catback.

you need to get the code it may be totally unrelated to your mods. but car should not be getting cel light, put it back to stock tak it back to dealer

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 06:32 PM

But wouldn't the CEL go on right after the install of the resonated muffler delete? Not a day later?

drewbot 10-12-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle (Post 1981470)
Its whenever I come to a stop under (10-15 ) mph like a stop sign or a light.

This is a useless downshift. Let the tranny and TQ converter do it for you with less jerkiness.

-fellow AT driver

Sent from my OnePlus One

chaoskaze 10-12-2014 07:09 PM

Why are ppl trying to downshift into 1st is beyond my....

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 07:13 PM

I'm not downshifting it, the transmission downshifts it.... I'm not using the manual mode( or whatever the thing is called). When I approach a stop around 5-10 it'll go into 1st I'm assuming and I feel that jerk

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 07:58 PM

Update its 2nd gear my bad

steve99 10-12-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle (Post 1981513)
But wouldn't the CEL go on right after the install of the resonated muffler delete? Not a day later?

not necessarily for example the cat efficiency cel code P0420 can take a week to appear as the ecu compares reading from the two 02 to determine if cat is working to spec. Maf cels can be like that as well its got to be outside certain limits for a period of time.

it may also be a transmission code, or cam actuator code who knows but best to get it sorted before any damage done its under warantee take it to dealer (remove your mods first)

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 08:45 PM

So unbolt my muffler delete put OEM back and should I take out the k&n filter or just leave it

steve99 10-12-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle (Post 1981609)
So unbolt my muffler delete put OEM back and should I take out the k&n filter or just leave it

do both only 10 minute jobs, best to have it stock then they won't winge and bleat that your mods caused issue ect. its the safest way

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 1981613)
do both only 10 minute jobs, best to have it stock then they won't winge and bleat that your mods caused issue ect. its the safest way


Alright thanks! Will unbolt on my day off tomorrow and bring it in.

Laika 10-12-2014 09:03 PM

Why haven't you gone to an autozone or equivalent to just get the code read for free yet?

KungFuWaffle 10-12-2014 09:18 PM

Called my local auto parts store, they said in California it was made illegal to pull codes about 5 years ago.

martinEZ 10-13-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle (Post 1981634)
Called my local auto parts store, they said in California it was made illegal to pull codes about 5 years ago.


WTF California...

woode 10-13-2014 11:51 AM

You can buy a bluetooth OBD2 reader on amazon for ~$10. I'd recommend one for the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle (Post 1981634)
Called my local auto parts store, they said in California it was made illegal to pull codes about 5 years ago.

Just when I thought California was the must ass-backward state in America and couldn't get any more retarded...

KungFuWaffle 10-13-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinEZ (Post 1982093)
WTF California...

Exactly my thoughts.
I'll buy the obII reader after this. Just put the stock muffler on and at dealer awaiting results

KungFuWaffle 10-13-2014 02:56 PM

UPDATE: came back from dealer, they said it was a loose fuel cap? (Im pretty sure its something else but arent telling me. Anyways my front driver carpet where my heel was was wearing away so I got a Dr carpet too

dem00n 10-13-2014 07:47 PM

Ahh, the loose fuel cap. Oddly enough a common problem on this forum...

But you don't live in Jersey...

BRZBYE 10-13-2014 10:49 PM

Disconnect your battery cable for 10 minutes. Saw it somewhere in the forums after installing an exhaust. Something to do with soft-resetting the ecu


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.