Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   TRD Lowering Springs (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74881)

aaguilar3 09-25-2014 11:35 PM

TRD Lowering Springs
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I purchased a new set of wheels for my car and had them mounted today. Love the look but now I notice the wheel gap more for some reason even though i'm still on 17's. I was looking into lowering springs before but now I really want them. The TRD lowering springs from what I read drop the car about an inch which I think should be more than enough. Does anyone have any experience with the TRD springs or have any other suggestions. Like I said i'm not looking for a huge drop just something to make the car look sportier. I don't plan on using the car for anything else besides dd and fun drives on the weekend on skyline and such. Also, does anyone know any places near San Jose where I could get the springs installed for a decent price? Maybe even a fellow member???

Kostamojen 09-25-2014 11:52 PM

I have the Racecomp yellows and love them, they cost less than the TRD's (I think) and drop the car less (~.5-.75") but it looks great IMO like it should come like this from the factory.

aaguilar3 09-26-2014 12:04 AM

@Kostamojen
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostamojen (Post 1961493)
I have the Racecomp yellows and love them, they cost less than the TRD's (I think) and drop the car less (~.5-.75") but it looks great IMO like it should come like this from the factory.

TRD's are $200. Do you have any pics of yours?

shayangh 09-26-2014 02:10 AM

i have recently installed sportlines and i love the drop and the install was pretty straight forward but i have to say the ride is much more stiff.
Paid- $237 from amazon
drop- 1.4inch

kALMIGHTY 09-26-2014 02:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have TRD springs on mine. Love them. Handling is much better, ride is smoother than stock, and shocks remain under warranty, and these springs are cheap. Can't really beat that when you put all that together. Car looks good too with them.

Mine is the Ultramarine.
Attachment 91940
Attachment 91941
Attachment 91942

Kostamojen 09-26-2014 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaguilar3 (Post 1961506)
@Kostamojen

TRD's are $200. Do you have any pics of yours?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...20BRZ/bbs2.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0BRZ/bbs15.jpg

funwheeldrive 09-26-2014 06:32 AM

Wow. :wub:

Can you tell me the name and specs on those wheels?

aaguilar3 09-26-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shayangh (Post 1961592)
i have recently installed sportlines and i love the drop and the install was pretty straight forward but i have to say the ride is much more stiff.
Paid- $237 from amazon
drop- 1.4inch

I love the look of the sportlines but i don't want that drastic a drop. Don't want to have to hassle with the bumpier ride, scraping, and making it difficult to get into a driveway. I appreciate the feedback though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY (Post 1961602)
I have TRD springs on mine. Love them. Handling is much better, ride is smoother than stock, and shocks remain under warranty, and these springs are cheap. Can't really beat that when you put all that together. Car looks good too with them.

Mine is the Ultramarine.
Attachment 91940
Attachment 91941
Attachment 91942

That looks like the right amount for me. It is about an inch after it settles right? Are those 17" or 18"? Where did you get these installed and how much if you dont mind me asking. Was thinking of trying to do it myself with help of my roomate.


That looks pretty good too. They are a bit pricier and i'm trying to stick to a tighter budget since I just got the wheels and want to get OFT and OFH in a couple months.

Kostamojen 09-26-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 1961651)
Wow. :wub:

Can you tell me the name and specs on those wheels?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60761

aaguilar3 09-26-2014 04:09 PM

So I ended up ordering the TRD lowering springs. I should have them Wednesday and then use the DIY to install them with help of my roomate. Thanks for the info guys. Will post pics once it's settled!

Rachey's FR-S 09-26-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaguilar3 (Post 1961474)
Hey guys,

I purchased a new set of wheels for my car and had them mounted today. Love the look but now I notice the wheel gap more for some reason even though i'm still on 17's. I was looking into lowering springs before but now I really want them. The TRD lowering springs from what I read drop the car about an inch which I think should be more than enough. Does anyone have any experience with the TRD springs or have any other suggestions. Like I said i'm not looking for a huge drop just something to make the car look sportier. I don't plan on using the car for anything else besides dd and fun drives on the weekend on skyline and such. Also, does anyone know any places near San Jose where I could get the springs installed for a decent price? Maybe even a fellow member???

Thanks for this! I've been looking at coilovers but having a hard time justifying the price for my needs.

After the bf bought the RS1.0 yesterday, that comes with the TRD lowering springs, I decided that I might just go without the coilovers since I'm the same as you as far as ease of use, ride, DD, occasional spirited canyon carving.

Thinking of installing myself too. Could you update on how your experience was with that? :thumbsup:

aaguilar3 09-26-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachey's FR-S (Post 1962391)
Thanks for this! I've been looking at coilovers but having a hard time justifying the price for my needs.

After the bf bought the RS1.0 yesterday, that comes with the TRD lowering springs, I decided that I might just go without the coilovers since I'm the same as you as far as ease of use, ride, DD, occasional spirited canyon carving.

Thinking of installing myself too. Could you update on how your experience was with that? :thumbsup:

Oh sweet! How does he like it? The height looks good with the springs right?
Yeah, I will definitely update once I get them on. I will have to take it to the meet for you to see in person too. :thumbsup:
@Rachey's FR-S

kALMIGHTY 09-26-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaguilar3 (Post 1962254)
So I ended up ordering the TRD lowering springs. I should have them Wednesday and then use the DIY to install them with help of my roomate. Thanks for the info guys. Will post pics once it's settled!

Yeah it's about an inch dropped after settling. Mine were actually just slightly more than an inch. I installed them myself with the help of a friend. There's a good springs install video by slaux86 I think on YouTube.

Jolaessss 09-26-2014 06:27 PM

I think a 1 inch drop is good enough if you're running 17's. I currently have a 1 inch drop with the Eibach Pro-Kit. With stock wheels, the car looked good. Now that im running 18x8.75 wheels, the car is too high. I'm thinking about selling my Pro-kit and purchasing a set of sportlines.

aaguilar3 09-26-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY (Post 1962414)
Yeah it's about an inch dropped after settling. Mine were actually just slightly more than an inch. I installed them myself with the help of a friend. There's a good springs install video by slaux86 I think on YouTube.

Cool, i'll check that one out also.

@kALMIGHTY
Did you not use the spring compressor like he did in the video?

Rachey's FR-S 09-26-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaguilar3 (Post 1962410)
Oh sweet! How does he like it? The height looks good with the springs right?
Yeah, I will definitely update once I get them on. I will have to take it to the meet for you to see in person too. :thumbsup:
@Rachey's FR-S

He loves it and of course I'm jealous haha... mostly of the sound of the TRD quad tip exhaust <3

Grateful Dave 09-26-2014 08:38 PM

My car lowered 1" in the front and 3/4" in the back. I have 225 45 17" Michelin AS-3 tires and they look better in the wheel well. With the TRD antisway bars, Bilstein B-6's, and the Whiteline bushings the ride is Awesome!

Virtual86 09-27-2014 09:29 PM

Can someone point me in the right direction, I'm from Melbourne Australia and want a set of the trd springs for my 86. Shipping is not cheap so need to compensate by finding a good, reliable, cheap dealer. Cheers

Raven240 09-28-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachey's FR-S (Post 1962463)
He loves it and of course I'm jealous haha... mostly of the sound of the TRD quad tip exhaust <3

The exhaust note is mostly intake piping.

Still sounds great though.

demonracer200d 09-28-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY (Post 1961602)
I have TRD springs on mine. Love them. Handling is much better, ride is smoother than stock, and shocks remain under warranty, and these springs are cheap. Can't really beat that when you put all that together. Car looks good too with them.

Mine is the Ultramarine.
Attachment 91940
Attachment 91941
Attachment 91942

Where did you buy your springs? I see some on eBay for 200 bit also seen people say they go for 500 so don't really know what's what?

kALMIGHTY 09-28-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonracer200d (Post 1963813)
Where did you buy your springs? I see some on eBay for 200 bit also seen people say they go for 500 so don't really know what's what?

I bought mine off ebay for around 200. With shipping and everything else to canada, I paid about $270 or so total.

demonracer200d 09-28-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY (Post 1963905)
I bought mine off ebay for around 200. With shipping and everything else to canada, I paid about $270 or so total.

Alright just wanted to make sure those were it. Thank you

ck-GT86 09-29-2014 04:03 AM

Aren't TRD springs the same as the Eibach Pro-kit? I thought I read somewhere that TRD rebranded the Eibach's on several other platforms. Anyone know how true this is?
.ck

aaguilar3 09-30-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck-GT86 (Post 1964461)
Aren't TRD springs the same as the Eibach Pro-kit? I thought I read somewhere that TRD rebranded the Eibach's on several other platforms. Anyone know how true this is?
.ck

I've heard the same thing. Don't have verification though. @ck-GT86

BoxRZ_86 09-30-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck-GT86 (Post 1964461)
Aren't TRD springs the same as the Eibach Pro-kit? I thought I read somewhere that TRD rebranded the Eibach's on several other platforms. Anyone know how true this is?
.ck

that's probably true. but the benefit of going with TRD would be maintaining warranty for your shocks I would imagine.

aaguilar3 10-03-2014 11:07 AM

@Rachey's FR-S And everyone here!

After getting my car fixed (read thread here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75254)

I headed home to install my TRD lowering springs following the DIY (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32414)

So the instructions are pretty straight forward. I was never really a car guy who did work on my cars before this one. Besides the oil change and changing a car stereo. I started and ran into trouble as soon as i got to the part where you have to unclip the abs line. This thing was a pain in the butt. I finally got it off and proceeded. Got one side down. Went over to the other side and got that done pretty quick too. A lot of time was consumed on basic stuff like not being prepared with all the tools at the ready, having to go back and forth getting the right sockets and such. I also ran into complications when setting the Front right passenger side strut back in place. For some reason it was not coming all the way through the top and sitting correctly to properly secure the strut top nut. Anywhos, after setting it down and driving around and then going back to re-tighten it finally was set. In total I spent close to 2hrs 45mins just for the front. By this time I was starving and decided to hold off on the back springs till tonight. All in all pretty easy but like I said you have to prepare everything and stay organized and make sure you do things right the first time to save time. :bonk:

Rachey's FR-S 10-03-2014 01:18 PM

Thanks for the update @aaguilar3!

The bf finally let me switch cars with him today so I could feel the ride. It's a slightly stiffer and bumpier ride, but that's how I like 'em! ;)

Still not sure on the ride height though. I have 18"s and the TRD springs might not take it down as low as I want.

finch1750 10-03-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck-GT86 (Post 1964461)
Aren't TRD springs the same as the Eibach Pro-kit? I thought I read somewhere that TRD rebranded the Eibach's on several other platforms. Anyone know how true this is?
.ck

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaguilar3 (Post 1966068)
I've heard the same thing. Don't have verification though. @ck-GT86

Eibach makes the TRD USA stuff, but it might not be the pro-kit per se. I don't know one way or the other.

aaguilar3 10-04-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachey's FR-S (Post 1970837)
Thanks for the update @aaguilar3!

The bf finally let me switch cars with him today so I could feel the ride. It's a slightly stiffer and bumpier ride, but that's how I like 'em! ;)

Still not sure on the ride height though. I have 18"s and the TRD springs might not take it down as low as I want.

Cool. Yeah it's a bit bumpier but not too bad. For 18s it might not look as nice but I love it with my 17s. Looks perfect. @Rachey's FR-S

aaguilar3 10-07-2014 10:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
UPDATE: Here's the pics. I drove to Sac over the weekend so hopefully that helped them settle a bit.

peachsnow 10-07-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachey's FR-S (Post 1962463)
He loves it and of course I'm jealous haha... mostly of the sound of the TRD quad tip exhaust <3

Haha hey were you guys parked at the Curtner Plaza? if it was you guys I couldn't stop checking it out the yellow paint is mean.

Rachey's FR-S 10-07-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peachsnow (Post 1975864)
Haha hey were you guys parked at the Curtner Plaza? if it was you guys I couldn't stop checking it out the yellow paint is mean.

We were there with both our cars yesterday at lunch :)

Were you the blue one?

peachsnow 10-07-2014 11:22 PM

Yeah that was me, I was going to turn left towards tapx but the yellow paint called me

JoeyBareBones 11-02-2017 09:28 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone's shocks blown with TRD springs? Might be a stupid question, but I'm getting some conflicting information from a local shop.

finch1750 11-03-2017 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBareBones (Post 2999807)
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone's shocks blown with TRD springs? Might be a stupid question, but I'm getting some conflicting information from a local shop.

How many miles?

They are a smalll drop but shocks are technically wear items. Improper install can also easly blow shocks when installing springs

ermax 11-03-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyBareBones (Post 2999807)
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone's shocks blown with TRD springs? Might be a stupid question, but I'm getting some conflicting information from a local shop.

I was under the impression the RS1.0 and 2.0 come with these springs but still have the same shocks as the normal models. Where did you see people complaining about blown OEM shocks? I can't believe Toyota would install these as a factory (or rather dealer) option if it blew shocks.

Tokay444 11-03-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 2999910)
I was under the impression the RS1.0 and 2.0 come with these springs but still have the same shocks as the normal models. Where did you see people complaining about blown OEM shocks? I can't believe Toyota would install these as a factory option if it blew shocks.

No. The RS2.0 did not come with these pre-installed.

Tcoat 11-08-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 2999949)
No. The RS2.0 did not come with these pre-installed.

They did in the US. Neither Canadian version of the RS got the drop.
I think they stereotyped us and said the drop was no good in the snow.

Tokay444 11-08-2017 07:14 PM

I couldn’t find a single RS2.0 advert, American or not, that made mention of lowering springs.

Cole 11-08-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3002394)
They did in the US. Neither Canadian version of the RS got the drop.
I think they stereotyped us and said the drop was no good in the snow.

IIRC, neither did California. Something about minimum height for lighting or something?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.