Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   steering turn-in (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46661)

notout86 09-13-2013 01:51 AM

steering turn-in
 
Compared with our previous car we find the '86 is very different in that it does not turn into angle parking spaces as quickly. Is there anything we can do to quicken the steering progression without messing up the more straight ahead range? I know it sounds pathetic but after six months I still overshoot.


At least I have become adept at handbrake skids

autobrz 09-13-2013 03:23 AM

You can change the tires and front camber and caster so the front responds faster and follows steering input better.

Captain Snooze 09-13-2013 06:06 AM

I am suggesting it is more of a problem with the operator than the machinery.

Muskokan 09-13-2013 06:49 AM

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying the turning radius is to long?

jhstealth 09-13-2013 10:55 AM

You can drive slower lol. I keed I keed.

7thgear 09-13-2013 10:59 AM

the car has a pretty low steering ratio as it is... what car did you have previously?

notout86 09-14-2013 02:31 AM

I agree with you all and you are all correct but I JUST REMEMBERED.

Our previous car was said to have a small degree of passive rear-wheel steering built in. That would also explain the feeling I have always had that the back of the '86 is never coming round like I expect.

FYI the old car was a 1994 Nissan 200SX turbo, rear wheel drive, and at lowish speeds it would glide around a constant radius bend as if it was anchored on the end of a cable.

boredom.is.me 09-14-2013 02:45 AM

The only way to do it quicker would be to drive faster, but be careful not to oversteer going in. Haha

I have to agree though. Out turn radius isn't that great.

stockysnail 09-14-2013 03:33 AM

If you think the turn radius isn't great in our cars, try owning a Evo 9! Worst turning radius ever. I was embarrassed when trying to do any kind of turn arounds on a street as it would take about 5 lanes to do a u-turn.

SortaFlushed 09-14-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockysnail (Post 1211550)
If you think the turn radius isn't great in our cars, try owning a Evo 9! Worst turning radius ever. I was embarrassed when trying to do any kind of turn arounds on a street as it would take about 5 lanes to do a u-turn.

Lol i know your struggle.

Suberman 09-14-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autobrz (Post 1209216)
You can change the tires and front camber and caster so the front responds faster and follows steering input better.

Toe out works much better for this. About half an inch each side should do the trick. The car may wander a bit at highway speeds but parking should be a breeze.

In fact, matching rear toe out should tighten up the whole turning circle and make the handbrake turns more effective.

Suberman 09-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stockysnail (Post 1211550)
If you think the turn radius isn't great in our cars, try owning a Evo 9! Worst turning radius ever. I was embarrassed when trying to do any kind of turn arounds on a street as it would take about 5 lanes to do a u-turn.

He's talking about steering rack rate, not ultimate turning circle.

I'm fairly sure he's pulling your leg, also. Australians are known for this.

Draco-REX 09-14-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suberman (Post 1211778)
Toe out works much better for this. About half an inch each side should do the trick. The car may wander a bit at highway speeds but parking should be a breeze.

In fact, matching rear toe out should tighten up the whole turning circle and make the handbrake turns more effective.

Rear toe-out is a VERY tricky thing to set up and use. It can very easily turn into uncontrolled oversteer. Best to leave the rear at 0 toe or a little toe-in.

wbradley 09-14-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notout86 (Post 1211506)
I agree with you all and you are all correct but I JUST REMEMBERED.

Our previous car was said to have a small degree of passive rear-wheel steering built in. That would also explain the feeling I have always had that the back of the '86 is never coming round like I expect.

FYI the old car was a 1994 Nissan 200SX turbo, rear wheel drive, and at lowish speeds it would glide around a constant radius bend as if it was anchored on the end of a cable.

At first I thought your old car was a 240SX. Then you might have had Super HICAS, with 1 degree of mechanical turn-in that operates in opposite phase at low speeds to turn sharper for parking. Maybe that's what you need. Passive rear steering like Mazda and others claimed in the 90's is negligible.

Suberman 09-14-2013 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=Draco-REX;1211915]Rear toe-out is a VERY tricky thing to set up and use. It can very easily turn into uncontrolled oversteer. Best to leave the rear at 0 toe or a little toe-in.[/

Our Oz friend is not a skilled driver. He needs all the alignment help he can get to park his car. The giveaway is he says he uses the handbrake turn to angle park. Only a complete nut would need to do that.


I use handbrake turns only for parallel parking. Much more efficient than the new park assist software. You can slide into a space only slightly longer than your car.

Suberman 09-14-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 1209282)
I am suggesting it is more of a problem with the operator than the machinery.

This would be correct.

Captain Snooze 09-14-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suberman (Post 1212505)
I use handbrake turns only for parallel parking.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOtQiE-HwAQ"]Parking the car - YouTube[/ame]

notout86 09-15-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suberman (Post 1211781)
He's talking about steering rack rate, not ultimate turning circle.

I'm fairly sure he's pulling your leg, also. Australians are known for this.

Trust me... I was not pulling anyone's leg (except about doing handbrake turns).

Yes I was thinking of steering rack rates OR if electric steering motor does the progressive steering, then perhaps it could be tweaked there.

I'm pretty much convinced that the 200SX passive rear steering, however small, is the explanation. Not to belittle the '86 steering/handling, I do miss the different seat-of-the-pants feeling from the old 200SX.

The parking solution I have adopted is to find two parking spaces side by side. Aim for the nearest but end up in the furthest. Simple. NOW I am pulling your leg.

wbradley 09-15-2013 06:47 PM

Just looked up the Aus 200 SX.It's an S chassis. Super HICAS was optional.

It is also undesired for high speed cornering instability.

Just relearn.

notout86 05-20-2014 09:16 PM

The latest Golf GTI has introduced variable steering. I took it for a test drive and liked that feature.
Hint... if you take one out, experiment with the handling/suspension settings.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.