![]() |
Traction/VSC Setting Preference
How do you guys plan to have the settings for traction control and VSC on a normal dry day, for casual driving (commuting but not bumper to bumper)?
Since my other car is an NA Miata with neither traction nor VSC (or even a torsen or abs) I don't think I will miss traction control much. (allow me to spin the rears on takeoff a tad). I'm thinking the sport VSC setting would be fine for my driving style. Does the car default to both systems on at every startup, or remember your last setting? |
If I recall reading the manual right we have to turn it off everytime we start the car. I will keep it on and see what it does. Once I get used to the limits of the car I am sure it will be off all the time. My MR2 was no thrills either
|
My car has neither, so traction/VSC would be new for me :D
Turning it off would have no effect on me lol. |
My current ride lacks even ABS, though I've driven many cars with traction/stability control.
From Autoblog's review: Quote:
A rant about misusing traction control: It's intended as a safety feature in case you encounter an unexpected situation, so it should be left on. But don't use it to drive faster than you can without it. I knew two drivers who had 2006 and 2007 Civic Sis (I'll refer to them as 6 and 7). Only the latter had Honda's TCS/VSA. 7 would fly around corners much faster than 6, not realizing that the computer was the only reason he wasn't crashing. We all went to an autox, and 6 wasn't doing that well while 7 did great. He was talking a lot of smack about crushing 6's times, so before 7's next run I suggested he disable his traction control (he didn't know how, and I had to show him how to override it). I've never seen anyone hit so many cones. Hopefully 7 learned a lesson that day, but probably not. I used to warn him that if he ever came around a corner into a patch of leaves/sand/oil, his crash could be even worse than if he didn't have TCS/VSA (because he was traveling at such high speed). He moved away shortly after and I don't know if he ever had any mishaps. |
I don't drive like a punk so it'll stay on for the street. I see no reason to turn it off. On the track/Autocross it'll be completely off.
|
Quote:
|
How would I *want* the settings? Off and Off.
How will they likely be set if you were to catch me on a drive to work? On and On. I tend to forget to turn stuff like that off when I start the car. But I remember to shut them off when I'm about to go hooning. |
Unless having it on some how effects mpg, I don't see the point of turning it off until it's time to play. So, just normal daily driving, I'll leave mine on full.
|
Shut that shit off! Unless I have to turn it off every time I turn the car on, then I'll just leave it be until I decide to play around.
In overly-safety-concerned America, car drives you! |
Quote:
I really don't understand the point of turning it off to drive to work, or the mall, or to get food, etc. Why bother? I never turned it off on the street in my S2000 and I never once had it engage either. |
Everything on full for the street.
|
Full Power Scotty!!
But yea, keeping them on unless hooning about. |
Considering my current AWD coffin of a car; I am turning the TC/VSC off ASAP when I get the BRZ! I want to have some fun!
|
turn off everything of the track/auto-x
My previous car was a E90 m3 with the tech package and it had a M button. I had it enable MDM which is equivalent to VSC sport and would push it every time I got into the car. Might be lazy with the BRZ but guess it depends how aggressive normal VSC is. |
I'd leave everything on unless I'm in a spirited mood, in which case I would put the VSC in sport mode. Wouldn't turn everything off unless I was in a controlled environment and wanted to have some fun.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
+1. Keep the safety features on unless you are heading to a track. Anything else is just immature and risks the safety of others. Play Mr. Drift boy at the track, not on public roads. |
Plus, remember that the VSC Sport mode will let you hang the tail out a fair amount, just not to Formula D slip angles.
|
In my old 5 series, I would usually leave it on - but when stopped at a light, if I knew I wanted to accelerate quickly, I'd have to turn it off first. Leaving the system on meant that at some point hitting the gas harder just made the car go slower, as the system stepped in and cut power to avoid any wheel spin.
Driving my Miata, I quickly learned the threshhold of wheel spin accelerating from a stop. Knowing how much to rev and clutch engagement to not spin the tires. The feeling of having TC cut on when you're trying to go is frustrating, as you have to feather back the gas to some magical point until the system stops cutting in. There's no actual feedback though, unlike wheel spin. I'm just glad there's a button there to turn it completely off. I might leave VSC on normal mode unless I'm somewhere I can get the back end a little loose safely, or need to pull a quick 180. |
Quote:
|
VSC SPORT ERY DAY ERY DAY
|
Is there a way to have TC Off and VSC in Sport (option 5)?
|
holy necro
|
Quote:
|
Usually full on, if I want to feel the back end then it goes into track mode.
Occasionally I turn it all off. Which i do on some of my favorite corners around town where I can safely play with the balance of the car. |
Sorry that I'm a little slow, but how are the options on the first post selected on a 2017 BRZ manual? that manual has a table but it wasn't clear to me.
thanks in advance. |
Quote:
Both On, normal driving Track, both on but put further out than previous sport mode. Both off Unless someone has figured out somthing different? |
Quote:
Tap TC off > TC turns off until 31mph. This is for accelerating from a stop in snow or gravel. Tap Track mode > stability control will let you push things further before cutting in Hold TC button for 3 seconds > TC off; SC pretty much off, but EBFD remains on Pedal dance > everything off except ABS |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 PM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.