![]() |
Boost Issues on Stock Internals
Hey Guys,
I am venturing into the world of forced induction with my 86 (stock internals). Was hoping some of you could clear a few things up. I understand that boosting any car comes with more maintenance and better diligence. I will be upgrading the Clutch and Flywheel to a Stage 2. The vehicle will be used for daily driving and the occasional autocross. These questions are more directed toward the engine. - Since the FA20 is high compression, wouldn't boost just increase heat and cause the stock internals to wear faster? - I am aiming on 7 PSI. Is anyone running similar boost levels? If so, how many miles have you gone and have you had any major issues? I guess the overall question is "how reliable is the stock FA20 at around 7-8 psi?" - Thanks! |
It's been shown to be quite reliable at reasonable power levels, especially if running E85 for fuel. But the problem in my experience is, 8psi gets boring and you very quickly want more.
|
Save up money for a built block or spare engine! Do some research on the topic and you will find engines lasting seemingly forever and some that let go almost immediately. Tuning is a huge issue, but sometimes when everything is right the motor still goes. All depends!
|
Very true. Best not to even start. That way I don't get addicted to boost haha
|
Quote:
|
I have almost 55k miles on my turbo kit. I haven't had any issues with it, other than needing to replace the clutch. And I didn't even do that until 45k miles. I daily drive my car,a and have only tracked it once. I usually leave it at 8psi, but occasionally bump it to 12psi if I want to have a little fun. I have a flex fuel that I'll install in a month or 2 to have even more fun. Hope that helps.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Do not my friends, become addicted to boost. It will take hold of you, and you will resent it's absence.
|
My stock '13 motor lasted 3000 miles of daily abuse at 470hp (19psi w/ 5558). With how hard I beat on the car, I'm surprised it didn't blow up sooner.
Keep the car around 10psi with e85 (flex fuel), and it should last you a long time. |
We have customers on our turbo kit with over 30k miles, daily driven with some track time. Pump gas and E85, still on the stock motor.
|
i usually run around 10-12 psi depending on weather with flexfuel as well. Been to several track events, only thing was clutch needed to be replaced, and the PSA of clamping your evap line otherwise it will pop off under boost. probably have over 10k miles boosted
|
#YOLO
|
It's not only the amount of psi, but how many cfm the turbo can push. 7psi on a gt28 is different than 7psi on a gt35.
|
My tuner didnt recommend going over 10psi with either 93 or flex fuel on a stock block. Our rods are paper thin and tuning for tomuch lowend torque may also bend the factory rods.
Needless to say, save for a block right away so you dont need to make that call to AAA. |
ran a mix of 93 and e85 for 19k miles on 10lbs with greddy t620z. Lots of daily and spirited drivings with 0 track days.
no issues at all. |
Quote:
2. 7 psi is relatively standard for boost on this engine, and alot of people have run 7-10 psi on pump or e85 and have done so for 10's of thousands of miles. Check build threads and owners threads for those kinds of anecdotes. 3. Pretty reliable. The one thing you should put emphasis on is the tune. The tune is the glue that will hold most of it together. Failsafes, boost cuts, ECBS, all those things can be incorperated into your tune assuming the proper hardware. Reliability also falls down to quality of parts. Dont expect an ebay turbo to last just as long as a properly taken care of garrett or borg warner. |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by
Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) -
vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.