Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719)

Target70 02-19-2025 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WNDSRFR (Post 3612332)
Yea
I would definitely build one if I didn't already have one. I've been building ebikes the last few years and learned alot about batteries, controllers and bldc motors. I build my own battery packs with lithium cells. I was thinking that a 48 volt system using lithium cells could get you 10 psi. Or go with 72 volts. I wouldn't even worry about the charging system instead just charge the batteries at home overnite like a Tesla. You could get like a 100 amps of power good for a few minutes of boost. In real everyday use you're only going to use boost for a few seconds at a time (otherwise you could lose your license in no time).
Maybe my system will fail forcing me into building my own But I hope not.

It's an interesting idea but I like having the charging system, as I don't have a garage or power outlet near my parking. I do agree on the lithium batteries though. I want to swap out the current dump packs for some, but I know the charging circuit would just destroy them. Plus I don't know enough to design my own circuits. If you had to start from scratch I figure a simple off the shelf 12v to 48v/72v lithium charger has to exist. Maybe even a small solar charge controller could be used to trickle charge them. A relay to stop the charging while the motor is activated should not be difficult.

Something else to note is the quality of life improvements. Like the two stage switch, or better yet that canbus box that was available that provided a smoother motor ramp up based on throttle position. I think that could all be done with the motor controller via a variable pot instead of the on/off foot petal switch.

WNDSRFR 02-20-2025 10:42 AM

If you're going to convert to lithium, here are some good cells to consider. EVE 40PL 21700. It holds 4000 mah of power, continuous discharge rate of 70 AMPS @ 4.2 volts. 7 in series will give you 29.4 volts which should be within the systems range. 5 in parallel will give you 20 A/Hr of power and 350 continuous discharge amps. That's 10,290 watts! The cells cost $6.50 apiece so the battery pack would cost $218. But it would last for years. They have OTS chargers that charge at 50 amps. An easy but costly way would be just use an inverter to power the charger. You could probably use the original controller but I would use an OTS controller with a thumb throttle type speed control which is pretty much a variable pot. The next step would be to change out the motor to something that can handle 10,000 watts. Then you would have one scary screaming machine.

WNDSRFR 02-20-2025 12:00 PM

Here's a little light reading for you.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...90116819300116

CY86 04-07-2025 06:42 PM

hey guys... for all that are interested in electric turbos, this is probably the best site:
https://www.electrifiedboost.com
please come on over and let's help each other out to get this tech again. Alex is doing a lot of work with the echargers and a lot of members are trying to build their own. they were never aware of the phantom until i brought it to their attention and it would be great to have people there with previous experience with the echargers.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.