Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   BMW ZF Getrag transmission into a BRZ mated to 2jz, ANYONE? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123722)

Irace86.2.0 03-22-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3199259)
Lmbo. How did you not know this hahaha. I'm only intrested in the ZF transmission because I'm using an IRP short shifter which would bolt up easily to that transmission. And they are cheap to find https://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-favq...t-frs/brz.aspx

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks. Seems like the kit includes a lot, but still feels rich for me. I could probably find a used transmission for less and fab up most of the stuff myself.

EAGLE5 03-22-2019 08:37 PM

That's over 3k for transmission adapting. Crazy.

wparsons 03-22-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimon7777 (Post 3199303)
That's over 3k for transmission adapting. Crazy.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3199279)
Thanks. Seems like the kit includes a lot, but still feels rich for me. I could probably find a used transmission for less and fab up most of the stuff myself.

Read the details, they have to machine the input shaft to make it work... it also includes the new driveshaft.

I'd bet you'd have a really hard time doing it significantly cheaper all said and done.


New OEM Nissan 350Z (CD009) transmission with machine input shaft
FAVQ Adapter bell housing already installed on transmission
Extended shifter assembly with short shifter
Transmission mount and crossmember
Crossmember to body mounts (requires welding)
Reverse lights pigtail
Carbon Fiber one-piece driveshaft

Irace86.2.0 03-22-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimon7777 (Post 3199303)
That's over 3k for transmission adapting. Crazy.

Yea it seems like a lot. It does include a carbon fiber driveshaft, short shifter with FA20 adapter, custom bellhousing, machined input shaft, custom mounts, etc on top of a brand new transmission. I wonder if they sell individual components.

Irace86.2.0 03-22-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3199343)
Read the details, they have to machine the input shaft to make it work... it also includes the new driveshaft.

I'd bet you'd have a really hard time doing it significantly cheaper all said and done.


New OEM Nissan 350Z (CD009) transmission with machine input shaft
FAVQ Adapter bell housing already installed on transmission
Extended shifter assembly with short shifter
Transmission mount and crossmember
Crossmember to body mounts (requires welding)
Reverse lights pigtail
Carbon Fiber one-piece driveshaft

You beat me to it. I got busy once I started a reply and never saw this post.

Here is the thing: a used tranny could be bought for under $750 easily, so that is on the high end to buy it new. The input shaft could be sold separately or machining could be as easy as taking off a quarter inch off the end—who knows? The mounts I could weld myself for cheap, but usually aren’t too expensive anyways. I don’t know the alignment of the CD009, so I don’t know if the extensor is needed, but the short shifter isn’t necessary. An aluminum shaft would be fine over a more expensive carbon fiber shaft.

1stGenBRZ86 03-23-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3199360)
You beat me to it. I got busy once I started a reply and never saw this post.

Here is the thing: a used tranny could be bought for under $750 easily, so that is on the high end to buy it new. The input shaft could be sold separately or machining could be as easy as taking off a quarter inch off the end—who knows? The mounts I could weld myself for cheap, but usually aren’t too expensive anyways. I don’t know the alignment of the CD009, so I don’t know if the extensor is needed, but the short shifter isn’t necessary. An aluminum shaft would be fine over a more expensive carbon fiber shaft.

pretty sure its including a brand new trans which is about $1500-$1800

Joveen 03-23-2019 12:45 AM

I think prices spot on for what you're getting. If you have 15K to modify your car I stage one short block and this transmission and a budget Turbo kit would be great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Irace86.2.0 03-23-2019 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stGenBRZ86 (Post 3199379)
pretty sure its including a brand new trans which is about $1500-$1800

Correct. Carbon fiber driveshafts are over a grand, so $2500-3000 just for those two items. Mounts are usually under $500, short shifters are under $500, shifter relocates are usually under $500, bell housings are under $500, machining the input shaft is cheap, but there is the other $2k. The kit is a quality, new-parts kit, which is probably worth what a person is getting.

I was just saying a used transmission could be half that; an aluminum driveshaft could be done for $500; the short shifter could be omitted; I've seen transmission mounts for under $500, but I could weld up a set myself for much cheaper; I've seen adapter plates or bell housings for $350ish for other engine to transmission kits; I'm confused why a custom bell housing is used with an extension set, like couldn't a larger bell housing be used, so an extension set isn't needed? I could see saving some bucks and being just as satisfied with the finished project.

1stGenBRZ86 03-24-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3199389)
Correct. Carbon fiber driveshafts are over a grand, so $2500-3000 just for those two items. Mounts are usually under $500, short shifters are under $500, shifter relocates are usually under $500, bell housings are under $500, machining the input shaft is cheap, but there is the other $2k. The kit is a quality, new-parts kit, which is probably worth what a person is getting.

I was just saying a used transmission could be half that; an aluminum driveshaft could be done for $500; the short shifter could be omitted; I've seen transmission mounts for under $500, but I could weld up a set myself for much cheaper; I've seen adapter plates or bell housings for $350ish for other engine to transmission kits; I'm confused why a custom bell housing is used with an extension set, like couldn't a larger bell housing be used, so an extension set isn't needed? I could see saving some bucks and being just as satisfied with the finished project.

oh for sure. I've seen these engine/transmission adaptors done many different ways. I guess they could release an option for aluminum driveshaft in the future.

wparsons 03-25-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3199360)
Here is the thing: a used tranny could be bought for under $750 easily, so that is on the high end to buy it new. The input shaft could be sold separately or machining could be as easy as taking off a quarter inch off the end—who knows?


Ha! Labour to install a new input shaft would make that completely not worth it. Without knowing exactly what they're machining on it, it's hard to comment on what the cost would be.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3199389)
I'm confused why a custom bell housing is used with an extension set, like couldn't a larger bell housing be used, so an extension set isn't needed?


You can't just keep extending the bellhousing or the input shaft won't reach the clutch disc. The custom bellhousing is used to adapt the transmission to the engine it was never built for, not for positioning it far enough back that the shifter lands in the stock location in the FRS/BRZ.

Irace86.2.0 03-25-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3199986)
Ha! Labour to install a new input shaft would make that completely not worth it. Without knowing exactly what they're machining on it, it's hard to comment on what the cost would be.

You can't just keep extending the bellhousing or the input shaft won't reach the clutch disc. The custom bellhousing is used to adapt the transmission to the engine it was never built for, not for positioning it far enough back that the shifter lands in the stock location in the FRS/BRZ.

If they are already machining the input shaft then just replace it with a new input shaft that complements an extended bell housing so a complicated and large adapter isn’t also needed. Wouldn’t that be simplier? Input shafts aren’t very expensive. Obviously there are limitations to the length of the bell housing and input shaft.

I was confused by your first comment. How do you think they are machining the input shaft? I’m guessing they are removing it, machining it then installing it then charging for that time and labor, so what is the difference between doing the same with a used tranny locally? Better yet, I could install it myself. They could even offer a core exchange so the cost is just machining the end or just release the specs if they are feeling generous or someone could measure and tell everyone.

wparsons 03-25-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3199360)
If they are already machining the input shaft then just replace it with a new input shaft that complements an extended bell housing so a complicated and large adapter isn’t also needed. Wouldn’t that be simplier? Input shafts aren’t very expensive. Obviously there are limitations to the length of the bell housing and input shaft.


I'm going to go out on a limb and state that if it was really much simpler to do it that way, they would've done it. They have nothing to gain by making it harder and more expensive...


Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3199360)
I was confused by your first comment. How do you think they are machining the input shaft? I’m guessing they are removing it, machining it then installing it then charging for that time and labor, so what is the difference between doing the same with a used tranny locally? Better yet, I could install it myself. They could even offer a core exchange so the cost is just machining the end or just release the specs if they are feeling generous or someone could measure and tell everyone.


My assumption is they're machining it while the transmission is assembled and the input shaft is in place. Labour to tear down and reassemble a transmission isn't cheap (I've seen bills over $3k for replacing all the bearings).

Like I said above, they don't stand to gain anything by making it harder and more expensive, there's probably very good reasons they did it the way they did.

WhiteBRZ4 03-25-2019 07:11 PM

excited to see how this goes, i'm currently running an R154 and was looking to switch to CD009 after/if it gives up on me.

Irace86.2.0 03-25-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3200113)
I'm going to go out on a limb and state that if it was really much simpler to do it that way, they would've done it. They have nothing to gain by making it harder and more expensive...

My assumption is they're machining it while the transmission is assembled and the input shaft is in place. Labour to tear down and reassemble a transmission isn't cheap (I've seen bills over $3k for replacing all the bearings).

Like I said above, they don't stand to gain anything by making it harder and more expensive, there's probably very good reasons they did it the way they did.

What they have to gain is creating a complete package that is less intimidating to buyers who don't want to source a transmission or aren't DIYers, and it also bundles multiple things in an all-or-none way, so they can force the purchase of the carbon vs aluminum driveshaft or short shifter. In fact, I could imagine them selling the individual components if I was to call or email them. Unless they were a set of parts that they didn't want to divide up, or if the components get shipped separately like from a transmission/machine shop and their shop. Who knows?

As far as the machining, unless they got a really interested setup or the machining is super amateur like removing an inch from the end and cambering the edge (a hack job) then my assumption is that they remove the input shaft. It shouldn't be hard to remove and reinstall like this generic example (there is a snorkel that needs to be unbolted/removed usually and then retention clips and basic stuff) and obviously the bell housing would be easy to remove:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPF32RF0bhk[/ame]

The other savings would probably be shipping. Freight shipping a transmission versus shipping a bell housing or other components is probably much different.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2026 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.


Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.