follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Toyota Denso Oil filter

Hey, about to do an oil change and was curious to know how many of you have used the Toyota oem oil filter (Denso, black, 90915-yzzs1). anyone notice any difference with this from the Subaru Tokyo one?

Just curious as I would assume their performance is similar but I can get a much better deal for the Toyota denso (5$ Canadian per filter from the dealer) so if it works just as good as the Tokyo black one I'll definitely get a bunch.

Thanks
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Probably are the same.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
toeout

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've used the Denso filter for all my oil changes - I'm at 40K miles. I'm not sure what difference there could be, it's specified for this motor.
toeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Aweome, figured the difference would be marginal if any but wanted to make sure no one had issues with it. 5$ filters and cheap(in price) oem oil here I come
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
It will be fine. It is Toyota's filter for a car they sell. Absolutely nothing to worry about.
As for differences, IIRC it is a little taller, a little smaller around than the 15208AA130 Subaru filter, and the metal it is made of is thinner. It is made in Taiwan VS the Japanese made Subi filter. I'll spend an extra 2 or 3 dollars for the Subi filter every time (not because its necessary, but because I'm weird like that).
Trac Toy (10-30-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 02:55 AM   #6
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The S1 filter is made in Thailand. I am glad that i stocked up on the original filter before i left Toyota.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muaddib For This Useful Post:
roddy (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib View Post
The S1 filter is made in Thailand. I am glad that i stocked up on the original filter before i left Toyota.

Thanks for clearing that up...I thought it was Taiwan, but after reading your post, Thailand sounds right.
There was a post a while back that said Subaru may also be discontinuing the 130 filter. I checked with my local parts guy, and Subaru Canada is showing over 3500 of them in the warehouse, so they will be around for a while yet.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
mhughett

Drives: 2015 Crystal White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Thanks for clearing that up...I thought it was Taiwan, but after reading your post, Thailand sounds right.
There was a post a while back that said Subaru may also be discontinuing the 130 filter. I checked with my local parts guy, and Subaru Canada is showing over 3500 of them in the warehouse, so they will be around for a while yet.

I just had my free 6k service done at the Subie dealer in Fayetteville, Arkansas and they used the 130 black filter. When I asked about whether this filter was discontinued, they knew nothing about it.
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhughett For This Useful Post:
roddy (11-04-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
As for differences, IIRC it is a little taller, a little smaller around than the 15208AA130 Subaru filter,
Actually, they are the same diameter. I just changed my oil and the same filter wrench fit both the Subaru filter and the Toyota filter.

Quote:
and the metal it is made of is thinner.
Hmmm... Do you know for sure? If this is true then maybe I will switch to Subaru filters.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 AM   #10
roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post
Actually, they are the same diameter. I just changed my oil and the same filter wrench fit both the Subaru filter and the Toyota filter.

Hmmm... Do you know for sure? If this is true then maybe I will switch to Subaru filters.

Really? Hmm...maybe an optical illusion then. I was very sure it looked to be a smaller diameter than the O.E. Subaru filter. Perhaps not as small as the blue filters I have seen on the shelf at the Subie dealer, but still not the same. Are you sure it was the 15208AA130 filter you were comparing it to?

Yes. If you have both filters, give them a squeeze with your hand...you can feel the difference. There is nothing wrong with the Toyota filter, and switching brands over a tiny difference in material thickness isn't necessary.

My post wasn't meant to bash the Toyota filter...someone asked about differences, and I stated my observations.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Really? Hmm...maybe an optical illusion then. I was very sure it looked to be a smaller diameter than the O.E. Subaru filter. Perhaps not as small as the blue filters I have seen on the shelf at the Subie dealer, but still not the same. Are you sure it was the 15208AA130 filter you were comparing it to?
I don't know/remember the Subaru part number. The Subaru filter I removed is the original one that came on the car from the factory and the Toyota filter was the YZZS1 I bought from the Toyota/Scion dealer.

Quote:
Yes. If you have both filters, give them a squeeze with your hand...you can feel the difference. There is nothing wrong with the Toyota filter, and switching brands over a tiny difference in material thickness isn't necessary.
I did notice that the Subaru filter also has a baffle or restrictor or something in the core of the filter that the Toyota filter does not that you can see if you look inside. I am curious/intrigued about the metal thickness, though, now...

Quote:
My post wasn't meant to bash the Toyota filter...someone asked about differences, and I stated my observations.
I didn't take it that way. I just had information that didn't match yours so I thought I'd mention it.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
roddy (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
roddy

You've piqued my interest on that now...Next time I'm by the Toyota dealer, I'll have to pick up one of the new filters, and compare it to the 130s I have on the shelf.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #13
roddy

Wow, I was all kinds of wrong there... I'm wondering if I actually got the wrong filter, and it just happened to screw on and have the seal in the right place. I swear it looked taller and thinner. Anyhoo, I went and picked up a new # Toyota filter yesterday for comparison. You are correct...they are the same diameter as the Subaru 130 filter. Not only that, but it is actually about 1/4" SHORTER than the Subie filter. I think I was off on the metal thickness as well...this one seems fine. One thing that is thinner though is the paint on the filter. LOL, at least there is one area where Subaru's paint quality is better than Toyota's...too bad it is under the hood where you can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDinkleman View Post
I did notice that the Subaru filter also has a baffle or restrictor or something in the core of the filter that the Toyota filter does not that you can see if you look inside. I am curious/intrigued about the metal thickness, though, now...

What you see inside the Subie filter is part of the bypass valve. It is there in the Toyota filter as well, but doesn't stick out into the center as much. It's just a different design. I suspect the Subie filter uses a coil spring, and the Toyota uses a stamped steel spring, but couldn't say for sure without cutting them open.