follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Exclamation WINJET LED DRL PROBLEM

Hi Guys,

So I was installing the winjet DRL always on mod kit and cut the wires correctly and it worked perfectly on one side, on the other my friend pulled too much slack out of the connector and the red wire for the leds got disconnected somewhere within the light and the red wire terminates at the end of some sort of two pin connector. The other male side of that small connector is (what I' guessing) not accessible from the rear of the light. So I need to either bake the headlights or find someone who is selling a single passenger side winjet or both and replace them. Need to know the best course of action Here

Thanks !
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Really 73 ppl and no responses?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 10-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I assume the other 73, like I, have no good advice.

I'm sure the cheapest option would be to bake and be ready to solder the connection back together, because in my experience with electronics, LEDs are usually not designed to be pulled like bulbs and will have all of their connections soldered.

I'd probably try and find a thread where someone baked their winjets if for no other reason than to see the inside of the unit and where things might have been damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatalelement For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
I assume the other 73, like I, have no good advice.

I'm sure the cheapest option would be to bake and be ready to solder the connection back together, because in my experience with electronics, LEDs are usually not designed to be pulled like bulbs and will have all of their connections soldered.

I'd probably try and find a thread where someone baked their winjets if for no other reason than to see the inside of the unit and where things might have been damaged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thank you. If someone else stumbles across the post the answer is to heat them @200 degrees fahrenheit for 10 minutes and they essentially can be pulled apart quite easily. To reseal them remove the old sealant and use this to replace that sealant: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039752R2/"]Amazon.com: 3M 08620 Window-Weld 1/4" x 15' Round Ribbon Sealer Roll: Automotive[/ame]

Then reheat the headlight and use clamps and small clip clamps to apply pressure to the lenses.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 AM   #5
mike7792

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Not really related to the topic but winjet related and didn't want to start a new thread

I recently bought Winjet headlights and the guy I bought them from had a H7 55w HID kit installed so I used them. But I found that the bulbs were very dim (6000k) , I've had 6000k previously and they weren't this dim

Would I be better off changing the whole kit to a 35W hid kit or just change the bulbs?
I tried to use my previous H11 35W ballast to fire up the H7 bulbs, they worked but the LED strip didn't light all the way up to max brightness.

any suggestions?

Thanks
mike7792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:38 AM   #6
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7792 View Post
Not really related to the topic but winjet related and didn't want to start a new thread

I recently bought Winjet headlights and the guy I bought them from had a H7 55w HID kit installed so I used them. But I found that the bulbs were very dim (6000k) , I've had 6000k previously and they weren't this dim

Would I be better off changing the whole kit to a 35W hid kit or just change the bulbs?
I tried to use my previous H11 35W ballast to fire up the H7 bulbs, they worked but the LED strip didn't light all the way up to max brightness.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Personally I use a 35 Watt H7 hid kit, 55 Watt risks melting or burning things and electrical issues within the headlight (i,e over draw). Honestly swap over two a 5000K 35 Watt H7 HID kit, the kelvin color will match the LEDs that way and it's less of a pain to aim the cutoff to not bother other drivers. As for LED not reaching max brightness, could you show pics? Including pics of the wiring inside the headlight?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
mike7792

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the help, I have fixed the problem. I replaced the whole hid kit and it solved the issue
I think it was just simply a crappy hid kit that was given to me to begin with
mike7792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:43 AM   #8
HATED1

Drives: 86
Thanked 1,045 Times in 443 Posts
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Hi Guys,

So I was installing the winjet DRL always on mod kit and cut the wires correctly and it worked perfectly on one side, on the other my friend pulled too much slack out of the connector and the red wire for the leds got disconnected somewhere within the light and the red wire terminates at the end of some sort of two pin connector. The other male side of that small connector is (what I' guessing) not accessible from the rear of the light. So I need to either bake the headlights or find someone who is selling a single passenger side winjet or both and replace them. Need to know the best course of action Here

Thanks !
I have a passenger Chrome Winjet light I can sell you in fairly good condition. Let me know, thanks.

86 SESSIONS on Facebook!
HATED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #9
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Why not reach out to a shop who does retrofits get your headlights fixed and upgraded at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:09 AM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
Why not reach out to a shop who does retrofits get your headlights fixed and upgraded at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol nearest retro fitter is in new york I believe
Old 10-11-2015, 04:12 AM   #11
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATED1 View Post
I have a passenger Chrome Winjet light I can sell you in fairly good condition. Let me know, thanks.
I'm going to order new Winjets next month pre-installed with the DRL mod from fteightysix.com. I ended up giving the DRL to said friend that ruined my passenger side light in the first place for the drivers side I simply reconnected the wires cut for the mod and butt connected them back together. My originals came from eBay used anyway and have scratches near the hood area. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:15 AM   #12
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7792 View Post
Thanks for the help, I have fixed the problem. I replaced the whole hid kit and it solved the issue
I think it was just simply a crappy hid kit that was given to me to begin with
Was this the under $50 ones from amazon or eBay? I have the OLM kit which is really good quality for $110, but if it ever fails in the future I am so going for the Diode Dynamics or Morimoto elite kit I've heard literally zero problems with them and they have an awesome pedigree. With HIDs you get what you pay for and the cheap ones honestly are hit or miss.