follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Another Android radio (KGL/Klyde/RoadMaster/GS/JY/MD)

I created this thread for discussion on these Android units that are available from China. They are manufactured by a handful of companies and may be sold by various other companies marketed as their own. My particular unit (pictured) was purchased at Eonon.com but it is really a unit produced by Klyde Electronics. Many have purchased similar units off of Alibaba.com. The units produced by these manufactures (in thread title) use identical or close-to identical hardware.

Active and thorough discussion of these units can be found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662

My radio, purchased from Eonon.com, unit GA5167 which is meant for Toyota's that have a similar sized stock radio. It fits without the need of any special adapters\kits. There may be more units that have the same fit as this unit; I didn't look thoroughly prior to ordering so you may be able to find other units that are the same internally, but have a different shell\face.
http://www.eonon.com/Car-DVD-Players...ta/GA5167.html

Behind the llittle door on the bottom right is 2 microsd slots, one for storage and other for GPS maps (not really needed IMO). The largest supported microsd is 32gb. You will also find a usb port (small type) and a AUX 3.5mm jack. The GPS button can be set to open a navigation app of your liking. Once I installed Waze, it was able to be set in settings under GPS menu item.

The unit comes with everything needed to get it up and running EXCEPT for the antenna adapter, this includes:
  • Wiring harness (same Toyota plug used by the BRZ\FR-S)
  • GPS antenna
  • RCA output for front\rear\sub [sub is single RCA]
  • RCA input for aux, backup camera
  • 2 USB inputs -- USB hubs work if you need more than 2
  • ipod connector (not sure if it works)
  • For more details and\or anything I may have missed, visit the link above at eonon.com which includes pictures of everything
If you want to maintain factory dash USB\Aux functionality, then you need to purchase 2 other adapters. I don't have the PN's handy but they are noted in the CaFi thread IIRC.

The firmware from each manufacturer is universal, so on a Klyde unit you can run KGL or JY firmware and vice versa. Each firmware type has its own home screen style and slight variances. Available android versions are 4.2.2, 4.4.2, and 4.4.4. I've only tried two different firmwares myself so if you want more details, look around in the XDA thread.

Rooting\flashing:
Rooting the unit is insanely easy. You just enable the installation of apps from unknown sources in settings and then download an app referenced in the XDA thread, run it and click ROOT and a minute later you are rooted. You can also just flash a pre-rooted and debloated firmware which kills 2 birds with one stone. Flashing firmware is really easy and is done by putting the firmware on a microsd card and putting the card in the GPS card slot. If the unit is on, a prompt should show saying an update was detected and asks if you want to update. If not prompted, you can boot into recovery by holding down the reset button while holding the power button (more details in XDA thread).

Sound quality:
Sound quality is good. Just be aware that if you are running an aftermarket sub with the remaining speakers running from the radio built-in amp, the volume level is going to be weird. Your speakers will start distorting before the sub starts making any decent bass. This was driving me crazy but it makes sense since this unit outputs 50x4 and the factory radio I believe outputs much less than that. I am now running everything off of external amps and it sounds awesome.

Internet:
My phone service (Verizon) does not allow free tethering so I bought a FreedomPop acct which gives me 3g/4g 500mb\month for $4. This is plenty for me as I just need it for Waze navigation and whatever else may come up. It was $20 to sign up which included 2 devices--one that provides internet wirelessly, and the other is a USB dongle. I am still working on getting the dongle to work through discussion with the developer of PPP Widget.

Torque:
It works with bluetooth OBD2 adapter on certain versions of Android. I am using 4.4.4 which is the latest available and it works. USB OBD2 also works but only certain chipsets are supported. ELM327 I believe is not because that's what I bought and it does not work. Someone said that a OBDLink SX cable with FTDI chipset will work.

Interface:
The home screen has a clock which is always a clock, to the right the default is a weather widget which changes into music controls depending on which player is being used (music player, radio, bluetooth). The boot screen is customizable for your car manufacturer and it is animated, which is nice. Boot time is roughly 30 seconds, and when ignition is cut, it will turn off but it does not fully shut down until a few minutes. So if you turn your car back on, it starts up instantly. Also, once you start up and go into reverse, your backup cam will work even though the unit has not finished booting which is awesome.

Here's a few pics I took:

Booting up

Stock music player

Homescreen with music widget

Torque. It's not connected in the pic because my car was in the garage and I didn't want it running.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 05-21-2015 at 06:42 PM.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (01-14-2015), fstlane (01-15-2015), HATED1 (02-28-2015), PNW-BRZ (06-18-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
xclusive_brett

Drives: 08 scion xb
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
just got this unit, excited to get it all installed.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How'd you get the Subaru start screen I still have the Toyota one. And does your Bluetooth player sometimes drop in volume around every 30 secs? I'm still on 4.4.2 right now maybe the update will fix it?

Edit: seems like deleting the initial Bluetooth pair to the phone and creating a new one fixed the volume problems.

Last edited by brandonblt2; 01-14-2015 at 10:49 AM.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Go into Factory settings, the password is 126.
The Following User Says Thank You to B-R-Z For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
brandonblt2

Ok I updated to 4.4.4 and tried missing with the new equalizer but I just can't get any bass out the unit everything else sounds clear tho, just the bass is really weak.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Ok I updated to 4.4.4 and tried missing with the new equalizer but I just can't get any bass out the unit everything else sounds clear tho, just the bass is really weak.
Are you using the RCA output going to an amp or just stock door speakers? Did you try turning Loud on?

Last edited by B-R-Z; 01-14-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:49 PM   #7
brandonblt2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Are you using the RCA output going to an amp or just stock door speakers? Did you try turning Loud on?
I have it going to the stock speakers and yea I have loud on. Apparently a couple people on xda forum say that updating the MCU improved the sound quality greatly I just dont want to brick my unit by doing it wrong tho.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Go into the about section and check MCU Version. The middle combination of letters tell you the manufacturer. Its probably same as mine which is KLD which is Klyde. This means you can only use MCU for Klyde units. MCU can only be flashed from the same manufacturer while firmware is interchangeable between manufacturers. There's more details on the first page of the XDA thread.

I had a similar issue with even an aftermarket amp/sub. My sub was hardly putting out bass. It would begin making bass at around vol 15 but then at vol 20 my dash/rear speakers would begin to distort. I think the stock speakers cannot handle the 50 watts this unit claims to output. To solve my issue I connected a crossover I had laying around which has its own gain control so I turned up the gain to balance it out. I am currently replacing door and dash speakers and will be running those off an amplifier as well. I'm hoping that once everything is upgraded and running off of amps and properly crossed over it will balance out.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 01-15-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
brandonblt2

Quote:
Go into the about section and check MCU Version. The middle combination of letters tell you the manufacturer. Its probably same as mine which is KLD which is Klyde. This means you can only use MCU for Klyde units. MCU can only be flashed from the same manufacturer while firmware is interchangeable between manufacturers. There's more details on the first page of the XDA thread.

I had a similar issue with even an aftermarket amp/sub. My sub was hardly putting out bass. It would begin making bass at around vol 15 but then at vol 20 my dash/rear speakers would begin to distort. I think the stock speakers cannot handle the 50 watts this unit claims to output. To solve my issue I connected a crossover I had laying around which has its own gain control so I turned up the gain to balance it out. I am currently replacing door and dash speakers and will be running those off an amplifier as well. I'm hoping that once everything is upgraded and running off of amps and properly crossed over it will balance out.
I think I figured out the problem it seems that the Headunit is not playing sound through the door speakers! Its just using the 2 speakers in the dash and the back speaker. This explains why the bass is so weak the smallest speakers are trying to play it. Im trying to figure out how to turn the door speakers back on. Are your door speakers on?
Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
I disconnected the amp that powers those speakers intentionally before I even had this unit.

I'm 99.9% sure you need to re-pin the remote turn-on wire in the wiring harness.

Compare this with how the plug is pinned. The pin layout is also on eonon.com

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...28&postcount=9
Old 01-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
brandonblt2

Quote:
I disconnected the amp that powers those speakers intentionally before I even had this unit.

I'm 99.9% sure you need to re-pin the remote turn-on wire in the wiring harness.

Compare this with how the plug is pinned. The pin layout is also on eonon.com

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...28&postcount=9
Ok so re-pinning this will bring my door subs back online thats good to know thanks! I'm kinda of a noob when it comes to sound systems lol
Old 01-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Yes, the wire that tells the amp to turn on is in the wrong location on the harness.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Based on the diagram at eonon.com and the link I posted at nasioc, it should be wired correctly out of the box. I believe I re-pinned something on my harness though, so double check the harness itself.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:20 PM   #14
brandonblt2

Quote:
Based on the diagram at eonon.com and the link I posted at nasioc, it should be wired correctly out of the box. I believe I re-pinned something on my harness though, so double check the harness itself.
Yea looking at it. Its not wired wrong its just not wired into the adapter at all. I'm currently trying to take the antenna switch pin and use that pin for the amp but its a pain in the ass removing the pin.