follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Breeeep

Drives: 2013 Grey BRZ / 1995 Trooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Worth repairing ??

So I'm driving along and hit what seems to be a piece of concrete on the road. The entire right side of the car lifts up, I hear a racket along the bottom of the car. I immeadiately look in the mirror to look for parts of the car scattered on the road... thankfully nothing falling off.

The end result seems to be that my front right rim is almost 1cm out of round, and is loosing air. The underside of the car is banged up all to hell.. I even found a bit of concrete still stuck under there.

Ugghh, not even 2000 miles on her! I guess this is a good excuse to get a fresh set of new rims !?

So the question is: repair / replace / upgrade ?
Attached Images

Breeeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Insurance will give you a nice chunk for the wheels that are damaged. Should be able to get a whole new set of less expensive aftermarket wheels.
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
Breeeep

Drives: 2013 Grey BRZ / 1995 Trooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
Insurance will give you a nice chunk for the wheels that are damaged. Should be able to get a whole new set of less expensive aftermarket wheels.

Only one is busted, and my deductible is $500. I can buy 4 knock off rims in the DFW area for $400 I guess I just answered my own question.

Maybe this should be: Whats the worst thing that you have run over? Seems from my point of view that a chuck of concete is fairly bad... although I realize it could have been much worse.
Breeeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
lfuentes92
master boxxy driver

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeeep View Post
Only one is busted, and my deductible is $500. I can buy 4 knock off rims in the DFW area for $400 I guess I just answered my own question.

Maybe this should be: Whats the worst thing that you have run over? Seems from my point of view that a chuck of concete is fairly bad... although I realize it could have been much worse.
i would say the worst thing ive ran over and almost ran over was a motorcyclist helmet and almost ran over a motorcyclist. story time !!! so i was going about 75 on the highway going towards la at 2 am. when in front of me i see a truck sideswipe a motorcyclist and the guy goes straight to the floor. keep in mind we're on the freeway. so my reaction time was amazing and i manage to miss the guy sliding on the freeway towards the left and catch his helmet under my car that had flown off.
moral of the story pay attention on the freeway lol.
lfuentes92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Should be pretty easy finding a stock replacement wheel (or even a full set of 4) for fairly cheap.

Seeing what your wheel looks like though, I'd get an alignment done.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The day after buying new tires I was driving behind a cement truck. Probably too close behind when suddenly a big rock falls off the truck.
I hit it and the tire goes flat. The wheel was dented so badly that it let all the air out. So, I go to the junkyard and get a new wheel. Go to the tire place (where I declined the road hazard warranty) and had the tire remounted. I drive home and the tire's flat! So I go back to the tire place and check the wheel for leaks. The wheel is fine but the sidewall of the tire was destroyed.
Cannot be repaired. So after driving about 10 miles on a brand new tire I have to throw it away and buy a new one.
Moral of the story: Pay for the road hazard warranty.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,985 Times in 11,397 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotu100 View Post
if the undercarriage really is beat "all to hell" you should get it looked at as there may be damage that is also covered.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote