follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
1995 Saturn

Drives: 1995 Saturn
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reason for so few BRZs (SoCal) Dealership Tour

Hey all, got some very interesting information during my San Diego Subaru dealership tour regarding the weird allocation issues.

I visited a couple of the bigger Subaru dealerships in the area asking about the BRZ. The first (El Cajon) told me they would be getting their first BRZ on the 6/19 and then only one brz per month for the for the rest of the year. These had not been presold but the manager said he had about 4-5 people calling him a week leaving their info. He was insitant that there was no waiting list and that it would be first come first serve. (my guess is it's gonna have a huge markup and will go to the customer willing to pay)

The second (Kearny Mesa Subaru) told me point blank that they were getting 11 for the rest of the year and 8 were presold. His waiting list was huge too but he said the 3 not presold would be first come first serve, but they probably would not be on the floor till November December. Dealer even said that it was limited to help keep the value up. I was thought that was weird thing to say because wouldn't that 'value' translate to the sale price too?

So ultra depressed, I went to Kearny Mesa Scion and talked to Rich. Can't say enough good things about this guy. He really new his stuff. I told him about these issues and he told me that since the project was financed by Toyota, part of the deal was that it would be 70% Toyota allocation to 30% Subaru allocation. He showed me some real life examples of massive brz markups (3k-7k over msrp) in both SoCal and elsewhere because of the limited nature of the car.

The nice thing was that he was able to actually give me a 6 week ETA! Not this nebulous "well maybe by Christmas we'll have more stock." But after test driving the frs, the marginal benefit for accessories on the limited brz seemed to evaporate considering scion pure pricing vs unknown brz ETA with who knows how much of a markup. So I put in my deposit on the frs

Sorry for the length. This info seems to be hard to come across on the web and thought it may help.
1995 Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1995 Saturn For This Useful Post:
ZmZMWagon (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
konichiwaa-B

Drives: 2013 FRS - whiteout
Garage
Rich will take care of you. I put my deposit down 3-4 months ago with him and took delivery of a white FRS the day after Memorial day. He does know his stuff and makes the car buying process so easy. I too was looking at the BRZ, but after talking with the Subaru dealers, I decided I didn't want to deal with the markup and other BS. The sales person at Kearny Mesa Subaru basically told me to expect $31k for a limited BRZ. At that point I knew Subaru was going to mark up the car and charge whatever they want. So I decided to go with the Scion pure pricing. I don't think the two cars can be that different, and I am extremely happy with my AT FRS. This car is so much fun to drive. I am sure you won't be dissapointed with the FRS.
konichiwaa-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Man, the more i read posts like this i can't help but ask myself, "When was the last time a car was so hyped and truly excited people like this?" Honestly, i can't come up with an answer. There have been many awesome sports cars in the past, but i've never seen a following like the FRS/GT86/BRZ have. It's astounding. Sorry to be off topic.

Congrats on your deposit on the FRS!
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've said for months now that Subaru is going to sell WAY more FR-S's than any Scion salesman ever could.

You're not the first BRZ fan to jump ship I've heard of, but to date I've yet to hear somebody crossing over from Scion to Subaru (sure there will be some, as I'm sure somewhere out there there's a crappy Scion place next to a decent Subaru dealership. But haven't heard of it yet).
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I think you made the right call. The FR-S has everything you need and nothing else you don't. Even without HIDs, lights are still good enough, and I could care less about NAV. Rather put in an aftermarket down the road. What color did you pick?
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
Man, the more i read posts like this i can't help but ask myself, "When was the last time a car was so hyped and truly excited people like this?" Honestly, i can't come up with an answer. There have been many awesome sports cars in the past, but i've never seen a following like the FRS/GT86/BRZ have. It's astounding. Sorry to be off topic.

Congrats on your deposit on the FRS!
It's the most affordable sports car in recent memory. It's pretty much the new Civic, the ricing of this car has already started and will continue.
ZmZMWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
1995 Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
I'm sure somewhere out there there's a crappy Scion place next to a decent Subaru dealership. But haven't heard of it yet).
lol funny that you say that. The El Cajon Subaru dealership is literally next door to the El Cajon Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I think you made the right call. The FR-S has everything you need and nothing else you don't. Even without HIDs, lights are still good enough, and I could care less about NAV. Rather put in an aftermarket down the road. What color did you pick?
I got firestorm, it was a tough choice between that and whiteout but in the end I stuck with red.

When you think about it, 31k limited brz vs 25k frs, it gets really hard to justify the added value of the brz with the price.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
storkfacekiller

Drives: pos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 Saturn View Post
lol funny that you say that. The El Cajon Subaru dealership is literally next door to the El Cajon Toyota.

I got firestorm, it was a tough choice between that and whiteout but in the end I stuck with red.

When you think about it, 31k limited brz vs 25k frs, it gets really hard to justify the added value of the brz with the price.

Wow really trying to make the difference look bigger? is that the after tax BRZ and before tax FR-S?
storkfacekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I paid sticker for my Limited - $28k. Ordered 3/1, arrived 6/1. No markup, add ons, or nonsense.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
U can find BRZ's out there for MSRP. U just have to look. Both cars are kinda limited. Some Scion dealers are only getting 1 FRS per month.

Don't believe the hype about the BRZ being so limited. They are just trying to justify the markups. I have seen FR-S with $5k markups too.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
i would highly suggest Frank Toyota/Scion in San Diego/National City. they had several there and you can even drive them. smaller non-corporate dealer but lots of info and very very friendly...

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
I visited my family in SD for Memorial weekend and toured a handful of Subie/Scion dealers with my dad. I've been telling my him about this car for months but he never fell for the hype. After he saw the cars in person his mind did a 180 and he's been calling around for a BRZ Limited but sees no hope for one anytime soon.

I, however, live in Kansas. Among 3 Subaru dealers who have capacity for multiple orders, only 1 BRZ has been sold-ordered. Probably 9 or 10 slots are still open. One of the dealers had asked me what configuration/accessories I'd be interested in way in back when pre-orders opened up on the 1st week of March. I didn't even place a deposit/get a VON but they called me last week saying my specific configuration came in. They called others who were interested but nobody would claim it lol and the Toyota nearest my house had 3 unsold FR-Ss just sitting in their lot today.

Here are pics from my SD Memorial Day trip.
1. White FR-S @Toyota San Diego <-- This was a First 86 model prepped for the special delivery event.
2. Black FR-S @Toyota Chula Vista <-- Was not sold at the time.
3. 2 Blue BRZs @Kearny Mesa Subaru <-- Both sold orders.
--
4. The last pic is an unsold white FR-S with blue BRZ back-to-back which I shot in Kansas today.
Attached Images

Last edited by switchlanez; 06-06-2012 at 03:46 AM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
1995 Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by storkfacekiller View Post
Wow really trying to make the difference look bigger? is that the after tax BRZ and before tax FR-S?
Nope, just referencing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konichiwaa-B View Post
The sales person at Kearny Mesa Subaru basically told me to expect $31k for a limited BRZ.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Seems East coast is getting lucky, MSRP BRZs
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allocation, brz, socal