follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
andrew5826
Señor Member

Drives: BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
engine won't start after pushing it

so I was in a slide probably around 6-7k for 10 seconds and all of sudden I lose power and the car straightens out. it's sputtering and won't hold an idle and comes to a stop

I start cranking it and it fires, barely starting. I try a few more times, firing less every time to where it eventually doesn't fire at all.

my mods include
jdl uel
perrin overpipe
Tomei type 80
k&n air filter
oft v2.0 stg2 uel 93 octane

I will note that I ran e85 2 full tanks of 91 before. when I switched to e85, I noticed the infamous crickets. when when I switched back to pump gas, they were still there so im guessing maybe the fuel pump died out?
andrew5826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew5826 View Post
so I was in a slide probably around 6-7k for 10 seconds and all of sudden I lose power and the car straightens out. it's sputtering and won't hold an idle and comes to a stop

I start cranking it and it fires, barely starting. I try a few more times, firing less every time to where it eventually doesn't fire at all.

my mods include
jdl uel
perrin overpipe
Tomei type 80
k&n air filter
oft v2.0 stg2 uel 93 octane

I will note that I ran e85 2 full tanks of 91 before. when I switched to e85, I noticed the infamous crickets. when when I switched back to pump gas, they were still there so im guessing maybe the fuel pump died out?
Unlikely its anything to do with E85, the crickets are almost normal people have them for years no problem just annoying.

Any CEL light ?

Use your OFT to check for error codes

low fuel in tank ? possibly fuel surge air in fuel lines.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Bad battery?

On my previous car I had a battery short out internally on a sharp autocross turn (unsure if I spun myself, or the battery causing a system shut-down caused it) and it behaved somewhat similarly, though in my case it wouldn't turn over on its own.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've heard in some more extreme spins the ecu thinks it crashed and cuts fuel.

First thing id try would be to disconnect the battery for a bit, next if that didn't work maybe throw the stock tune back on.
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Sounds like a fueling issue to me. Does anyone know if our cars have an inertia switch that's supposed to activate during accidents?
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
banane63

Drives: BRZ Club blanc perle
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
From FA20 Engine Control - SFI SYSTEM - DETAILS :

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...9&d=1391829861

"(3) A fuel cut control is used to stop the fuel pump when any of the SRS airbags deploys. In this
control, if an airbag deployment signal from the air bag ECU assembly is detected by the ECM,
the ECM will turn off the circuit opening relay. As a result, the power supply to the fuel pump
control ECU assembly is stopped, causing the fuel pump to stop operating. After the fuel cut
control has been activated, turning the ignition switch from off to on (IG) cancels the fuel cut
control, and the engine can be restarted."
banane63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
andrew5826
Señor Member

Drives: BRZ SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by banane63 View Post
From FA20 Engine Control - SFI SYSTEM - DETAILS :

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...9&d=1391829861

"(3) A fuel cut control is used to stop the fuel pump when any of the SRS airbags deploys. In this
control, if an airbag deployment signal from the air bag ECU assembly is detected by the ECM,
the ECM will turn off the circuit opening relay. As a result, the power supply to the fuel pump
control ECU assembly is stopped, causing the fuel pump to stop operating. After the fuel cut
control has been activated, turning the ignition switch from off to on (IG) cancels the fuel cut
control, and the engine can be restarted."
I think it may have something to do with this. I was in quite a fast and sideways slide. battery was fine as I cranked it for a couple minutes. no cel, tried reconnecting the battery, half tank of gas..

so i got the car towed to my place (free from subarus awesome road side assistance that I didn't even know I had until the tow truck driver mentioned it) and I was feeling pretty down. get home an hour later (car died for 2 hrs at this point) and tow driver says something along the lines of try starting it, the ride may have wiggled the fuel pump. I start it and it fired right up! I couldn't believe it. exhaust smelled a little funny but otherwise no problems. ended up having a nice chit chat with the driver while getting a free ride home.
andrew5826 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrew5826 For This Useful Post:
akahenry (08-22-2014), ftc~brz (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew5826 View Post
I think it may have something to do with this. I was in quite a fast and sideways slide. battery was fine as I cranked it for a couple minutes. no cel, tried reconnecting the battery, half tank of gas..

so i got the car towed to my place (free from subarus awesome road side assistance that I didn't even know I had until the tow truck driver mentioned it) and I was feeling pretty down. get home an hour later (car died for 2 hrs at this point) and tow driver says something along the lines of try starting it, the ride may have wiggled the fuel pump. I start it and it fired right up! I couldn't believe it. exhaust smelled a little funny but otherwise no problems. ended up having a nice chit chat with the driver while getting a free ride home.
Nice to see a happy ending!
ftc~brz (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
TStafford

Drives: 2013 FR-S Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Could it be vapor lock on the fuel? Was the engine hot. Anything hot like a header near a gas line?
TStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
BigRips

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
From the time the car died on the track to getting towed home and successfully starting the car, how long would you say the total incident time was?
BigRips is offline   Reply With Quote