follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Celigts

Drives: 2014 Toyota FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Another noob question on turbos....

So I was all set to order the greddy turbo kit for the frs until I found out you had to trim the crash beam...upsetting because safety is a concern. Fullblown kit seems like a viable option however I read in a post something about drilling and moving the crash beam. That sounds just as bad to move it from its original position. What would you recommend? I want safety...A daily driver and I want air conditioning lol...havnt looked into gas options but I live in southern California so I use 91.

Avo kit seemed like a viable option but I hear a lot of complaints about leaks...
Also...
I know there's a crash beam replacement...but it's not tested and I don't trust that option...

Thanks!!

Last edited by Celigts; 08-10-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Celigts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
mikepaul21

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Ptuning doesn't require cutting anything.
mikepaul21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikepaul21 For This Useful Post:
lucid215 (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Noon? You posted at 9:30pm... Come on now. Haha.

Aren't the front crash beams for 5mph crashes anyways?
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #4
Celigts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuwh View Post
Noon? You posted at 9:30pm... Come on now. Haha.

Aren't the front crash beams for 5mph crashes anyways?
Haha meant noob lol

And no the crash beam helps transfer the crash to the rest of the car. W.o it the front gets smashed in...hurting more than just the engine. At least from what I gather.

And I'll look into ptuning kit.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:50 AM   #5
Celigts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul21 View Post
Ptuning doesn't require cutting anything.
Does the ptuning kit remove the air conditioning??
I'm guessing no but...The boost Guage in the vent throws me.

Also I see the kits $5700...yet doesn't come with headers...they say stock header is fine...but for 5700 vs the greddy kit let's say which is MSRP $5200 (can get cheaper around 4300) what is gained?? It's nearly 1.2k more and no headers? Again...I'm noob and learning. There must be a major upside I'm too retarded to comprehend.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Celigts; 08-10-2014 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The P&L kit doesn't require any cutting either.

AFAIK, all turbo kits keep the AC compressor. Some kits require that you remove/modify the windshield wiper fluid reservoir though.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celigts View Post
Does the ptuning kit remove the air conditioning??
I'm guessing no but...The boost Guage in the vent throws me.

Also I see the kits $5700...yet doesn't come with headers...they say stock header is fine...but for 5700 vs the greddy kit let's say which is MSRP $5200 (can get cheaper around 4300) what is gained?? It's nearly 1.2k more and no headers? Again...I'm noob and learning. There must be a major upside I'm too retarded to comprehend.

Thanks in advance
More reading you must young padawan!

Indeed, the PTUNING kit doesn't come with a header and you can use the stock or whatever header you want but it does come with a turbo that is vastly superior than the one Greddy includes. It's low mounted which keeps the heat out of the already toasty engine bay. All of the underneath body panels stay in-tact. Furthermore, the design of the PTUNING kit with the testing they've done and the reviews it has speaks volumes to the quality of the system.

Now, PTUNING and Greddy are not your only options in regards to systems that don't modify your crash bar. You can do more searching on them. If you're looking for bang for the buck, the Greddy kit shouldn't even be on your list.

PTUNINGs kit removes the washer bottle, which is an issue for some so look at your options there. No the system does not remove the AC. The gauge you see is either an ATI vent pod with an AEM gauge in it, which still allows are to flow around the gauge or the P3Cars OBDII Vent Gauge, which also allows air to flow around it.

Also you're in California, don't you have CARB testing? Shouldn't you be looking for a system that's CARB legal? I'm not from Cali but i'm just throwing some concerns out there.

Who's going to do your tuning if you decide to go with a system that's not CARB legal in Cali? Have you spoken to him/her yet? What is the tuner's comfort level with the FA20 platform?
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
lucid215 (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
mikepaul21

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Also just a thought, if you ever want to get more power out of your car it would suck to have to replace your turbo. The Ptuning kit comes with a GT3076R which has great response time with the setup they have made and is large enough to satisfy all reasonable power expectations if you get bored in the future. Just the price of the turbo alone is $1,200. Also you can get whatever header style you want in the future.
mikepaul21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Celigts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
More reading you must young padawan!

Indeed, the PTUNING kit doesn't come with a header and you can use the stock or whatever header you want but it does come with a turbo that is vastly superior than the one Greddy includes. It's low mounted which keeps the heat out of the already toasty engine bay. All of the underneath body panels stay in-tact. Furthermore, the design of the PTUNING kit with the testing they've done and the reviews it has speaks volumes to the quality of the system.

Now, PTUNING and Greddy are not your only options in regards to systems that don't modify your crash bar. You can do more searching on them. If you're looking for bang for the buck, the Greddy kit shouldn't even be on your list.

PTUNINGs kit removes the washer bottle, which is an issue for some so look at your options there. No the system does not remove the AC. The gauge you see is either an ATI vent pod with an AEM gauge in it, which still allows are to flow around the gauge or the P3Cars OBDII Vent Gauge, which also allows air to flow around it.

Also you're in California, don't you have CARB testing? Shouldn't you be looking for a system that's CARB legal? I'm not from Cali but i'm just throwing some concerns out there.

Who's going to do your tuning if you decide to go with a system that's not CARB legal in Cali? Have you spoken to him/her yet? What is the tuner's comfort level with the FA20 platform?
Great points. I've done nothing but go blind reading posts on the different turbo options lol. Carb legal isn't a major concern as of right now. I have no idea who'll I'll have tune the car as of right now. I figure I'll get the kit I want squared away then research local tuners. I'm leaning towards the Ptuning kit. It's steep in price but...it seems like an amazing kit. After tuning and what not I expect 8k as a reasonable number to have to spend...

As for the gt30 turbo...I believe it's a bit big...was going to go with a gt28 with fullblowns kit however the moving of the crash beam has me too concerned...

I'm currently awaiting arrival of my aimgain front/rear/spoiler and greddy v1 sideskirts and fenders next is rims/tires then turbo kit. Sooooo I have about 2-3 months before I make my final decision on the turbo kit. I've been confused on what I'll go with. Greddy I thought was a for sure winner...now I'm leaning in the PTUNING direction...time will tell.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Why not buy an aftermarket crash beam to replace the one you drill? sBD offers one to folks that don't want a crash beam that has been hacked
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
The "moving" of the crash beam is just a 1/4" lift up not a huge relocation. I ended up replacing the crash beam so I could run the piping different but I believe most kits that keep the stock crash bar will require this lifting
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
Celigts (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Another noob question on turbos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Why not buy an aftermarket crash beam to replace the one you drill? sBD offers one to folks that don't want a crash beam that has been hacked
Have any of the companies manufacturing the above referenced crash beams release any data attesting to the fact that they will fare the same, if not better than the OEM beam (or even a "notched" beam), in crash tests? I don't want to derail the thread but I figured I would ask.
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Celigts (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Have any of the companies manufacturing the above referenced crash beams release any data attesting to the fact that they will fare the same, if not better than the OEM beam (or even a "notched" beam), in crash tests? I don't want to derail the thread but I figured I would ask.
That's a great question. others have asked the same in reference to the same crash beam I referenced. Those who sell it offered some lengthy explanation as to why its an equivelant but I don't really know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
Celigts (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't seen any, and I would like to see some developers insight on how this would crumple and transfer crash energy to the outside fenders and down the body instead. Pictures get points because pictures tell a good story. Pictures with data though....
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
Celigts (08-10-2014), chris912 (08-10-2014)