follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
UNDR8D

Drives: '03 AS Evo 8, '06 GG Evo 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS/BRZ Bottom End

Just looking into what the motor is setup with it has an 86mm bore x 86mm stoke @ 12.5 compression. Now with that funny thing is an Evo X has an 86x86 setup too for with kits of a 9.0 compression. I need a little bit more time to look up the motor/block design to determine what size the main and rod are on the crank so we can possibly just take some rods and pistons directly from an evo and fit them in.

If anyone has any info please chime in.
UNDR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
oh god....where to start with this...

asymetrical rods + Piston plates designed for DI

your going to run into a shit ton of problems attempting to use any parts from other vehicles. as the FA20 is 1. unconventional..and 2. a brand new design.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I think what he's trying to say is no they won't work, completely different engine designs. I wish it was that easy, though. It will be easier to wait for aftermarket rods/pistons.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
UNDR8D

Drives: '03 AS Evo 8, '06 GG Evo 9
I understand what he is saying..just jumped into posting an gettin a little over excited I guess an posting before fully thinking about it...ya know?
UNDR8D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
No worries. We're all excited to see what this car is capable of achieving.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Ishii Motors

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
No worries. We're all excited to see what this car is capable of achieving.
That's right. I know I am!

OP: No worries, Lower compression pistons and high strength rods are in the works. I've already got the ball rolling and will have some in my hot little hands asap. I usually don't like saying things before I've tested them, but darnit,! I'm too excited!

Ishii
Ishii Motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in the same boat with my internals...I'm in a rush to get them done BUT at the same time, there's no real EM solution yet.

So onward with simulation.
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDR8D View Post
Just looking into what the motor is setup with it has an 86mm bore x 86mm stoke @ 12.5 compression. Now with that funny thing is an Evo X has an 86x86 setup too for with kits of a 9.0 compression. I need a little bit more time to look up the motor/block design to determine what size the main and rod are on the crank so we can possibly just take some rods and pistons directly from an evo and fit them in.

If anyone has any info please chime in.
Not likely going to work as I'm sure the asymmetrical rods are designed to deal with the excessive cylinder loading these boxer engines experience which the direct injection probably exacerbates.

I'm sure if you ditch the direct injection and run the standard injectors only then you could probably get away with it. I know I'm not looking to step back in technology and would much prefer to develop and engine program that takes advantage of new technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MI Racing View Post
I'm in the same boat with my internals...I'm in a rush to get them done BUT at the same time, there's no real EM solution yet.

So onward with simulation.
Many of us are in the same boat and we're should have the Hydra EMS up and running soon. Until we get an EMS system working for these cars there's not much point in building up the motors unless we all want to step back 10 years and try to run piggy backs.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Boosted2.0

Drives: 13 FR-S, 00 Spyder&Celica, 08 Tundr
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
Not likely going to work as I'm sure the asymmetrical rods are designed to deal with the excessive cylinder loading these boxer engines experience which the direct injection probably exacerbates.

I'm sure if you ditch the direct injection and run the standard injectors only then you could probably get away with it. I know I'm not looking to step back in technology and would much prefer to develop and engine program that takes advantage of new technology.

Many of us are in the same boat and we're should have the Hydra EMS up and running soon. Until we get an EMS system working for these cars there's not much point in building up the motors unless we all want to step back 10 years and try to run piggy backs.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
God - a piggyback with a blended direct and port injection system - the thought makes me shudder.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #10
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
I know I'm not looking to step back in technology and would much prefer to develop and engine program that takes advantage of new technology.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
Thank you for keeping the GDI. I know Andrew had been working on the GDI systems back in 06 when I was working with him on my senior project.

I'm working with a few of my resources/colleagues in the industry to work on a GDI solution. It would be a shame to run a full EMS and be capped on power because of pump/injector size limitations.

I'd actually like to work with you guys if you're looking for some input. Actually need to call you anyway because I think I lost my harness for my Hydra...tossing it back into my bugeye

-Micah McMahan
'Homemade WRX'
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeah I pushed them to ensure the direct injection was utilized but it will take a fair amount of programming changes on the current Hydra EMS platform. We will have our work cut out this weekend, thats for sure.

With that said I'm exited knowing we'll have a well developed standalone with CAN fuctions, traction control, and a huge amount of switchable maps for E85, water injection, and the ability to tune for any engine strategy builders choose.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
ft86-UAE
turbo FT-86

Drives: ft-86
guys CP is making rods and piston kits for NA and Turbo setup.
ft86-UAE is offline   Reply With Quote