follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interchangeable parts..?

Hey guys,

Recently been facing the dreadful P0351 code, ignition coil #1 is gone for good now, RPM hesitates at like 3k RPM until 5k RPM and the engine mis-fires but nothing scary like intake backfires and so on giving a sign of DI failure, thankfully it's only the coil. Contacted the dealership endless times and they always say they're out of stock on coils and that they have to order them and that would take at least 45 days, I wait 45 days and they say the same thing again so I just gave up with them. My question is... are the coils interchangeable? I see them being like the ones you see on 1UZ and 2UZ toyota engines.. anyone has any info?
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Okada prroject
Old 07-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
Raven604

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamajee View Post
Hey guys,

Recently been facing the dreadful P0351 code, ignition coil #1 is gone for good now, RPM hesitates at like 3k RPM until 5k RPM and the engine mis-fires but nothing scary like intake backfires and so on giving a sign of DI failure, thankfully it's only the coil. Contacted the dealership endless times and they always say they're out of stock on coils and that they have to order them and that would take at least 45 days, I wait 45 days and they say the same thing again so I just gave up with them. My question is... are the coils interchangeable? I see them being like the ones you see on 1UZ and 2UZ toyota engines.. anyone has any info?
Try a different dealer, that's rediculous...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Raven604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven604 View Post

I gotta agree with this...45 days is stupid.

Buy one yourself and have it shipped if you're not under warranty.

http://www.subarupartsamerica.com/pa...gnition%20coil

Right there ^^

If you want this done under warranty then go to a different dealer because it doesn't take 45 days to get a whole new engine let alone a single coil pack.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Yamajee

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Okada prroject
I wouldn't pay $825 for coils that are meant for higher horsepower engines and get no benefit in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven604 View Post

Only one dealer in the UAE otherwise I wouldn't even start this thread, I've had issues with this car more than all of my project cars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
I gotta agree with this...45 days is stupid.

Buy one yourself and have it shipped if you're not under warranty.

http://www.subarupartsamerica.com/pa...gnition%20coil

Right there ^^

If you want this done under warranty then go to a different dealer because it doesn't take 45 days to get a whole new engine let alone a single coil pack.
I am under warranty, I took a look and will ask if they provide international shipping as most don't :/.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #6
s2d4

Quote:
I wouldn't pay $825 for coils that are meant for higher horsepower engines and get no benefit in the end.

Only one dealer in the UAE otherwise I wouldn't even start this thread, I've had issues with this car more than all of my project cars...

I am under warranty, I took a look and will ask if they provide international shipping as most don't :/.
Well, if it can supposedly handle higher horsepower/more spark, how is that a bad thing compared to miss firing?
Old 07-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Yamajee

Quote:
Well, if it can supposedly handle higher horsepower/more spark, how is that a bad thing compared to miss firing?
Here's what I mean, replace a coil pack for $80 or buy a set of coils that are meant for higher horsepower output and get no benefit from them at all because my engine will most likely be thrown by winter and a 2jz will be swapped?
Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
s2d4

Quote:
Here's what I mean, replace a coil pack for $80 or buy a set of coils that are meant for higher horsepower output and get no benefit from them at all because my engine will most likely be thrown by winter and a 2jz will be swapped?
Fair enough.
Has anyone got all the accessories sorted after the 2JZ swap?
O, you may also be waiting for the coils until winter at the rate they are going.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Yamajee

Quote:
Fair enough.
Has anyone got all the accessories sorted after the 2JZ swap?
O, you may also be waiting for the coils until winter at the rate they are going.
Not really, unless I send it off to Bahrain and have E.Kanoo do it for me and that's gonna be costy not to mention the swap itself.

Yeah, this is why I'm debating whether I should just order a coil online or swap the hell out of this failure engine (or IMO at least).