follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Visiting Sacramento / Roseville

Howdy. I'm traveling from Texas to Roseville next week for business. Anything going on or any places I should visit while I'm there? Want to try and enjoy my time at night while I'm over there

Also, if anyone wants to do something, grab drinks, hear about life in Texas, I'm open to recommendations!
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I graduated from A&M in '11.

Enjoy you're trip. If it were me, I'd take a road trip and see the big trees.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It's in the middle of the central valley so the scenery is lacking, since you're on business I assume you'll only have evenings free and not much else? You can get just about any food you want in Sacramento, pretty much every nationwide chain has a location within easy driving distance and there are nice restaurants to compete scattered throughout. Downtown has some semblance of a nightlife but it's rather small time.

Within the city the only things I can think of is a decent old movie theater (Tower Theater) but the movies may not be to your liking, and Old Town Sacramento is kind of cute with a nice view of the American River, pretty touristy.

Of course the big draw is you're smack dab in between San Francisco and Tahoe. You can take public transit to SF, takes about two hours one way but you really need to budget the whole day for the trip to have at least an enjoyable afternoon, busses and walking should be adequate to move you around the city, parking is miserable so if you drive find a garage and just do the rest of the day on foot/bus. Tahoe is about the same distance away but I don't think there's any public transit to get there (at least not convenient) could drive up enjoy the scenery, hiking, some nice restaurants, maybe some gambling if you're into that, but again I'd budget a whole day.

There's lots of little things to do here and there, googling 'what to do in sacramento' might pop something interesting up. There's also a couple karting places, I think there's a K1 location and I've heard good things about RPM, might be a good idea for 'work bonding' that's a coverable expense right?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Msnicoleeeee

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
There's a really good Vietnamese place there called Quan Nem Ninh Hoa on Stockton Blvd in Sacramento. Their speciality is nem nuong (vietnamese special pork) and you make your own spring rolls with it. Sooooo yummy!
Msnicoleeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
lol

Drives: hot lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The tallest bridge in California. . I forgot whats it's called and it also have a nice windy road there. Its off of forest hill I believe.. ill try to get more info for u
lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
lol

Drives: hot lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
http://highestbridges.com/wiki/index...esthill_Bridge
lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
I graduated from A&M in '11.

Enjoy you're trip. If it were me, I'd take a road trip and see the big trees.
Unfortunately it's for business, so I don't think they'd give me days off to drive and I'd rather save my vacation days for something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It's in the middle of the central valley so the scenery is lacking, since you're on business I assume you'll only have evenings free and not much else? You can get just about any food you want in Sacramento, pretty much every nationwide chain has a location within easy driving distance and there are nice restaurants to compete scattered throughout. Downtown has some semblance of a nightlife but it's rather small time.

Within the city the only things I can think of is a decent old movie theater (Tower Theater) but the movies may not be to your liking, and Old Town Sacramento is kind of cute with a nice view of the American River, pretty touristy.

Of course the big draw is you're smack dab in between San Francisco and Tahoe. You can take public transit to SF, takes about two hours one way but you really need to budget the whole day for the trip to have at least an enjoyable afternoon, busses and walking should be adequate to move you around the city, parking is miserable so if you drive find a garage and just do the rest of the day on foot/bus. Tahoe is about the same distance away but I don't think there's any public transit to get there (at least not convenient) could drive up enjoy the scenery, hiking, some nice restaurants, maybe some gambling if you're into that, but again I'd budget a whole day.

There's lots of little things to do here and there, googling 'what to do in sacramento' might pop something interesting up. There's also a couple karting places, I think there's a K1 location and I've heard good things about RPM, might be a good idea for 'work bonding' that's a coverable expense right?
Thanks for the tips, and you're right in that I'll only have the evenings to go explore. We have a K1 down here in Texas, so I might have to check out the track in Sacramento!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msnicoleeeee View Post
There's a really good Vietnamese place there called Quan Nem Ninh Hoa on Stockton Blvd in Sacramento. Their speciality is nem nuong (vietnamese special pork) and you make your own spring rolls with it. Sooooo yummy!
That sounds awesome, I'm all about pho

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
The tallest bridge in California. . I forgot whats it's called and it also have a nice windy road there. Its off of forest hill I believe.. ill try to get more info for u
Hopefully I get a decent loaner car. I'll be sure to check it out!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
If you like baseball, we've got the A's AAA team here. There's a few home games next week.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Jyn
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwolf View Post
If you like baseball, we've got the A's AAA team here. There's a few home games next week.
I'm more of a basketball fan, but thanks!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Pwolf

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,380 Times in 560 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
I'm more of a basketball fan, but thanks!
Too bad the Kings suck :P
Old 05-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
chu.waht

Drives: '19 Crosstrek
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you like Asian cuisine, the local Asian markets are pretty good for food on the go. Wing Wa is a pretty good place; if that is what you're into .
chu.waht is offline   Reply With Quote