follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
huy_tx

Drives: scion fr-s asphalt metallic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Door courtesy lights ?

Hi,

My car does not come with courtesy lights. I'm thinking of a DIY for the courtesy lights but unable to find where i could tap in the signal for driver side & passenger side courtesy light.

Studying the "Overall Electrical Wiring Diagram" for Fr-S, i can see these two got documented on page #295 as FPCY (Front Passenger Side Courtersy) & FDCY (Front Driver Side Courtersy). These two are pin 10 & pin 16 of the ECU, going to connector 3B & 3A respectively which then shown up at connector GD1 & HD1 as pin #3 (gray) and pin #18 (purple).

Page #302 showed connector GD1 as the white connector of 14 pins (we are interested in the gray pin #3, FPCY signal).

Page #303 showed connector HD1 as the white connector of 48 pins (we are interested in the purple pin #1, FDCY signal) .

The question i have is: WHere is actually these two connectors GD1 & HD1 on our car ? I wish there is some sort of mapping these connectors to their locations with pictures perhaps.

Once we know the exact locations to tape, the rest will be fun. Many things can be done with ịt such as
- open car & LED lights up the floor so that we could get into the car without bumping knees around
- Installing courtesy lights
- Installing welcome logo light
- Installing puddle lights

Anyone knows where these connectors are in our car ?

Thanks in advance
huy_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
huy_tx

Found connector 3A ! It is connector shown here at timestamp 13:39:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUIFd_0OpIE"]FR-S / BRZ LED Side Mirror Installation Guide from Diode Dynamics - YouTube[/ame]

where this guy tapped in the LEFT & RIGHT turn signal.

I suspect that 3B connector should be close bỵ. And then the GD1 & HD1 connector probably is in the door pannels themselves.

Ok, I'll open up the doors & try to match the pin #, pin positions & pin colors . If they are matched, very high chance that we found them.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
sweetfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I dont understand its kinda of stupid the light housing is there and when you open the door its there but not lit its like this car wasnt that cheap wtf!!!
sweetfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
guys, becauseracecar
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
sweetfrs (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
2pt5RS
Berz

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfrs View Post
I dont understand its kinda of stupid the light housing is there and when you open the door its there but not lit its like this car wasnt that cheap wtf!!!
Because you bought a cheaper car. The "premium" model has the lighting installed. The "base model (FR-S)" has less features.
2pt5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
sweetfrs

When i got my frs there was no premium
Old 04-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
2pt5RS
Berz

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
When i got my frs there was no premium
Yes...there was. It's called the BRZ.
2pt5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2pt5RS For This Useful Post:
Busybee (01-01-2020), JazzleSAURUS (03-22-2018), SirBrass (04-16-2014), Stang70Fastback (11-15-2014), Trap63 (11-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
sweetfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pt5RS View Post
Yes...there was. It's called the BRZ.
Frs has more tradition in it the whole reseaon the twin came out was because of the re birth of the ae86, so i got the frs because of that the brz is nice too tho
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
jonzhuxD

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Frs has more tradition in it the whole reseaon the twin came out was because of the re birth of the ae86, so i got the frs because of that the brz is nice too tho

And following in that AE86 tradition the FR-S came without any optional accessories
jonzhuxD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonzhuxD For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (03-22-2018), SirBrass (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
sweetfrs

Yea and i got all of them hahah but i also didnt buy mine from a dealer i ordered directly through toyota like my dad shot his order directly to the factory
Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
huy_tx

Quote:
Yea and i got all of them hahah but i also didnt buy mine from a dealer i ordered directly through toyota like my dad shot his order directly to the factory
Does yours have illuminated lights on the buttons that select milleage & display temperature etc ?

If yours does not, then you still need to add it in as it is too dark to see them at night time to select the right button.

Don't know about u guys/gals but it is fun for me to enhance & customize to signature my own car in my own way that is unique & standout.

A traditional courtesy light would be boring. I would like a courtesy light with a welcome projecting light log on the ground when open the door. Also, when openning the door, floor light is turned on at my preferable color & the right corners so that my girl can sit in without bumping her long legs & get bruise 8-) 8-)

Hey, why spent $ on the traditional things like that (traditional courtesy light) when i will have to rip out and replace with my own ? In the end, waste $ & it will void the warranty anyway.

I'll write a decent DIY (will try) with pictures after i fiinish.

Damned , ordering those angel eye switches from China takes tooooo long. 8-( But it is cheaper than other from US . They used parts from China anyway. I like to have switches on the pannel.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
huy_tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pt5RS View Post
Because you bought a cheaper car. The "premium" model has the lighting installed. The "base model (FR-S)" has less features.
I bought mine a month ago. Deliberately goes for a cheaper because i will replace those cosmetics with my own stuffs.

When i bought mine, i have the following criteria
1) under 30K
2) I have to like to car shape
3) The color . (Yeah, i drove 2 hrs to a dealer that has only 1 car of dark grey left in Dallas-Fortworth)
4) Has to get it today (I decide to buy a new car in the morning & drove it home around 7pm that day. Took out a liquid loan to pay all off to save time)

love my car ... Looking back, i'm still happy with my decision that day.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
huy_tx

(Continuing my project)

1) Found the wire for FDCY !

Yes, this is the signal that can light up the courtesy light on the door on driver side, as well as the signal feeding into the master window power control switch so that when we closed the door with the window is not completely up, the window glass will be up completely to seal away outside noise.

In the car that does not come with courtesy lights, there is no harness wires or connector from the ECU leading to the assembly. I search the car but could not find it. As i noticed that when i closed the door, the window glass moved up a bit, i was well determined to search for this and found here as in this snapshot of the eletrical diagram & my car:

That is for tapping inside the car. The same purple color should be easily tapped on the door itself when i open up the pannel.

Next task is to trace out the location to tap the FPCY ...

Btw, i also already ordered switches & connectors & prewired LEDs from China. Has to order now as it takes a month to get it. Takes a bit long time but it is cheap. I hated to order from those in US but really the products are still in China, only the difference is to get it fast.

(The pics of the connector above in my car, just go under the dash, look for the hole going toward the driver side door, you should see two set of wires going into the door from under the dash board)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #14
Kilat

Drives: Asphalt FRS
I tapped mine thru the dome light.. im going to be redo'ing my setup where the light continues along the bottom of the door to the fender..

[ame]http://youtu.be/RDrZlSoYGMs[/ame]

if interested... let me know, i'll create whats needed and all that jazz...fora complete DIY..
Kilat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kilat For This Useful Post:
Okami (11-19-2014)