follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Pegasus

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question 2015 Mazda Miata vs FR-S? To wait, or not to wait?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDYaSwd4mmk"]2013 Scion FR-S vs 2013 Mazda MX-5 Club! - Head 2 Head Episode 27 - YouTube[/ame]

This is becoming a really serious dilemma of mine, I have asked my dealership to order a Whiteout M/T Monogram series FR-S but I have not agreed or signed anything. I know I will love this car but I can't help but second guess myself on such a massive decision. Here is how my mind is rolling right now. It's going to be a long read.

I am 17 and this will be my first car after driving a 2001 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins diesel for over a year that my dad has given me. I have known to drive stick for less than a week by driving a friends Toyota MR2 Spyder. Which is very similar to a Miata btw.

I have narrowed it down to the FR-S and 2015 Miata because I doubt the new mustang will do much for me even though it seems to be a step in the right direction

Mazda is on a roll, like they are really stepping their game up if you ask me. The new Skyactive engines and transmissions are incredible and their interiors are top notch with the last 3 cars they have created. The new Kudo design language is also very, very cool. I can't even consider a current gen Miata the dem thing is so ugly compared to the FR-S.

I am anticipating better Power/Weight ratios compared to the FR-S and better fuel economy. Interior will no doubt blow the FR-S away and I wouldn't be surprised if I like the Kudo Miata better than the somewhat bland FR-S aswell. Price is a grey area for me, because I can't spend a cent past the 28k the Monogram will cost.

Coincidently this new Miata is a joint venture aswell, with Alfa Romeo. Alfa definitely can't hurt in any area but price. What say you?

UPDATE: I appreciate the comments, I test drove the current Miata and FR-S manual today back to back within 5 minutes and here are my impressions. I am not a professional reviewer, I am a kid who learned to drive stick last week and here are my 2cents.

The FR-S is difficult, for some reason it's just straight up harder to drive compared to the MR2 Spyder and Miata. I have driven 2 FR-S from different dealerships and they are weird. My first salesman has been driving stick for years and he stalled the FR-S and my second salesman was pretty crude driving the FR-S compared to the Miata 5 minutes before. I know I would adapt to it but I stalled the Miata once trying to park it compared to over 3 times driving the FR-S in the same loop 5 minutes after my Miata run.

In general I just felt the FR-S was trying to make me look dumb compared to the Miata was telling me "It's alright bro, I got your back"
That's honestly what it felt like. The Miata slips so easy into gear but the FR-S wasn't quite so positive that it was in gear or not. It even spat it back out of 3rd. And the clutch is strangely muted but then all of a sudden it would catch and jerk the whole car. I was going around a corner quite conservatively and put the FR-S into second and the rear end bucked out and stability control gave my salesman and I a nice little smack in the face and a hint of whip lash aswell. The salesman (I had the same salesman for both drives since the Toyota and Mazda dealerships were owned by the same guy) really didn't have much nice things to say about the FR-S which bothered me at first because I have wanted one for so, so long. But after driving it myself it does seem quite a bit more rough around the edges than the Miata. The Miata was a much more friendly car to drive than the FR-S. I feel like I need more parking lot time with the FR-S but I could take the Miata or MR2 out anywhere anyday. Which is weird because I learned stick in the FR-S in the first place.

So Miata makes me feel like a good driver, but I could also get used to the FR-S so I'm not sure. I cannot consider the current Miata though, as some of you have said its simply to much of a chick car. It has no balls, the FR-S looks straight up cool inside and out compared to the Miata and I can't get past it. But I have high hopes for the new Kudo design the new Miata will have.

My Must Have List: First off I want I want to say the insurance thing is kind of outdated. My oldest brother got a V-6 mustang at 18, and my middle brother got a Dodge Caliber econowagen at the same age, and the insurance is nearly identical. My friend is 17 and he changes cars ALOT from pickups to V-6 Coupes and the insurance is all the same. Besides, my parents will pay for it so we can throw Insurance out the window.

I have decided to get a RWD car, that is good on gas, LSD, manual and reliable. Other than that, hear are the things that are important to me.

#1 In dash Navigation, because I'm 17, don't know where I'm going, and I want a nice big screen that isn't going to move around.
#2 Blue tooth hands free calling, because I'm driving a stick and I don't wanna play with my phone.
#3 Keyless entry and push button start, because +1,000 cool points. This one is kind of pointless but if I'm going to get something I'm getting it nice.

Having 2 seats or a convertible are nice but neither are a must. I am the only one driving and maybe the odd buddy or girly so I'm almost leaning convertible. Houston is sunny most of the time anyway.

Civic's can die in a hole and S2000 is on my test drive list but I doubt it. No Navi

Update #2 I am 6'4 and I fit well enough in both cars. The FR-S is clearly larger and for some strange reason I found the passenger leg room of the Miata very minimal compared to the drivers seat. I may have more complaints after a long drive but neither seem to be unbearable. Yes the Navi is very important to me, and the phone jack looks ridiculous so I'm sorry S2000. The salesman clearly stated that I would get a very generous discount on the Miata being that it has been on the lot a while. It's a loaded Club model and would more than make up for its negligible MPG difference in the thousands of $ saved. Insurance isn't a concern as stated before, neither is MPG nor anything else really about these cars. They all have pro's and con's and I can't yet see a deciding factor.

The FR-S I am comparing it too is the Monogram series so it has all the BRZ stuff. Miata would need an aftermarket head unit and no keyless entry or start. It's already kinda dated but the price difference makes up for it. My dad somewhat convinced me that I need rear seats and told me to test drive a used BMW even. We will see how that goes but I am coming back to the FR-S because I really don't want to wait another year for the new miata.

My father also wants to test drive both cars and share his input on the trouble I endured with the FR-S clutch and transmission. He used to drag race a built Chevy II Nova SS so I will assume he knows a thing or two about driving stick, even though it was a clunky old American tranny.

I will try them both again, see what my father says and try a different take on the FR-S with the smoother shifts I have been told to use. I really want to love the FR-S as I have dreamed the last 2 years so I will give her a third attempt. Also, your thoughts on this BMW idea would be interesting. Fuel economy and reliability and maybe some cool factor are the only concerns as of right now for the Bimmer. Thanks for the support -Pegasus

Last edited by Pegasus; 02-09-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Update #2
Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
wrxneffect

Drives: 13 BRZ Ltd 6MT(sold), 03 WRX (RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I say you wait until the new Miata comes out. You still have a car to get around, so might as well wait so you can see each car (new miata) in person first. Additionally, there will no doubt be a comparison test done between these two cars so you'll be able to glean some information from that and see if it jives with what you are looking for in a car.
wrxneffect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxneffect For This Useful Post:
ultra (01-17-2015)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
If you're seventeen, buy an na miata
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Atropine (02-08-2014), DeanStevenson (02-23-2014), Ganthrithor (02-25-2014), n2oinferno (02-08-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It will be a wait for that Miata - its not going to be shown until the 2015 Chicago show a year from now, add another 3-6 months for dealers to have testers available.

That said some of the renderings I have seen look great, and there could be some weight loss and a modest power boost giving it a better power/weight than the current twins. I am interested too, and I'm hoping they will improve the PRHT, as when I tested the current one out it was as noisy on the highway as the ragtop.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
1) If you want a convertible, wait for the new Miata.

2) If you want a 2+2 coupe, get the FR-S now.

3) If you're fine with either, then wait for the new Miata and test-drive both for yourself and decide.

Since the new Miata isn't out and no one has driven it, it's impossible to say how it'll compare to an FR-S. You have a car at the moment, so you may as well wait if you're ok with getting a convertible.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Two-seater, girly, and ewww convertible. The FRS obviously wins. You're also asking the ft86 community so...

Seriously, just get an S2000 if you want a two-seater that is a convertible.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Two-seater, girly, and ewww convertible. The FRS obviously wins. You're also asking the ft86 community so...

a little insecure are we? the kid is only 17. an s2000 is a horrible car for many reasons for someone in that demographic
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Jrohit (02-23-2014), krayzie (02-24-2014), PoorMansRacing (02-07-2014), vangisback (02-24-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Just saying... If you care about what other people think, especially teenagers, I wouldn't get a Miata. You'll never hear the end of it. Also, like another poster said, you're on an FR-S forum so it'll be biased.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
You live in Texas so there's a real chance your safety may be at risk if you buy a Miata.
Celica00 (02-07-2014), Kkobe2 (01-23-2015)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Save your money, buy a EF or EK Civic, add some sticky tires and better brake pads, and spend a few years learning to drive at various events, then think about a new car.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Save your money, buy a EF or EK Civic, add some sticky tires and better brake pads, and spend a few years learning to drive at various events, then think about a new car.
He didn't ask for this kind of advice, dad.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #12
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post

The s2000 is also expensive to insure. For someone that is 17, that only adds to the cost.

All depends on what you're looking for,honestly. Both cars have awesome strengths.
Want a convertible? Go Miata, even though the wait is long.
2+2 coupe that eats twisties for breakfast,lunch, and dinner? FRS.
All depends on preference.
LadyFRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFRZ View Post
The s2000 is also expensive to insure. For someone that is 17, that only adds to the cost.

All depends on what you're looking for,honestly. Both cars have awesome strengths.
Want a convertible? Go Miata, even though the wait is long.
2+2 coupe that eats twisties for breakfast,lunch, and dinner? FRS.
All depends on preference.
Missed the 17 year-old part. In that case, i wouldn't even bother looking at any sort of sports car as you will get rapped on insurance no matter whay you do. Unless you can get your parents to insure it for you, you're definitely sol.

I didn't get my first car till I was 18. And even then, it was a ratty old handmedown 95 Corolla dx that I still paid $220 for insurance.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Alfa definitely can't hurt in any area but price. What say you?
If it is anything like the Alfa of the past then it will spend more time in the shop than it does on the road. Fortunately, Mazda is known for reliability so you are probably safe buying one. It just depends on how long you want to wait. They are not going to show the new MX5 until 2015 which means it will not be available until mid-year 2015 or later. You can have at least a year of driving joy in a FR-S by then.