follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
udon!

Drives: 1998 Mclaren f1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ft86 ESSENCE?....

So, coming across a forum dedicated to this future machine in interested in,
i am wondering. Will this car have a Motor, suspension, and gearbox, like ae86/ s13/ s14 ect...

or. will these things have all kinds of crazy computer limits like the GTR (r35)

im really looking for for the first up top, (motor, gearbox, suspension, simple.) but it seems kind of unlikely. Im just praying that one day soon a car will be produced like the late 80s early 90s japanese sports car essence.

do any of you know this info? has it been released yet?
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by udon! View Post
i am wondering. Will this car have a Motor, suspension, and gearbox, like ae86/ s13/ s14 ect...

or. will these things have all kinds of crazy computer limits like the GTR (r35)

im really looking for for the first up top, (motor, gearbox, suspension, simple.) but it seems kind of unlikely. Im just praying that one day soon a car will be produced like the late 80s early 90s japanese sports car essence.

do any of you know this info? has it been released yet?
First off, LOVE the username!

Second, I think Toyota already announced the car would have an Aisin 6-speed tranny, but even if that's not yet confirmed, I guarantee that a car with a price point of 20,000 will not come with some fancy automated manual. Toyota is trying to bring back a simple, fun, enthusiast car, and if they lose sight of that goal, this car isn't going to be as exciting as they are currently making it out to be a la prototype.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Y06_Z33

Drives: 06-350Z(Z33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
First off, LOVE the username!

Second, I think Toyota already announced the car would have an Aisin 6-speed tranny, but even if that's not yet confirmed, I guarantee that a car with a price point of 20,000 will not come with some fancy automated manual. Toyota is trying to bring back a simple, fun, enthusiast car, and if they lose sight of that goal, this car isn't going to be as exciting as they are currently making it out to be a la prototype.
+1

that what is good about the AE86, the simplicity of the car. Even a DIY mechanic can do minor/major improvements on the car. the waiting begins....
Y06_Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Franisco

Drives: D31a
First off, do you actually own a McLaren F1? And if you do, why the hell are you looking at this thing?
Secondly, if they do go under 28-30k I'm guessing it won't have too many electronic fancy parts.
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's the 21st century. It will have at least a rev limiter and other protective goodies so people don't blow up their shiny new car...
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
Treuno

Drives: FD5
I think what the OP is trying to get at is, "How many computer nannies will this car be equipped with and how annoying are these nannies going to be?" Nannies such as traction control, drive by wire, and tpms that hinder the users of the modern sports car to truly enjoy themselves.

We've all seen the "ABS" button and the potential that this could be a ABS activation/deactivation button. It really sends out the message that Toyota is trying to recreate the cars of the 80's and early 90's where interuption between the car and the driver is non existant.

How realistic is this message? A lot of these electrical and mechanical nannies that govern modern cars are there simply because of current standards with safety and emmissions. There are no ways around it.

You can expect the FT-86 to be equipped with such things as speed limiters, traction control, drive by wire, TPMS, and pretty much anything else that's equipped with what an average 2009 model automobile. In fact, standards change every year. The FT-86 could vary well come equipped with more annoyances than there all ready exists.

Right now it's not what the annoyances the FT-86 will come with, but how Toyota/Subaru choose to integrate such things at a tolerable level. Nevertheless, these things won't matter once aftermarket companies jump in a few years after production.
Treuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
^^^ Assuming it even has traction control, I could envision an on/off feature as an option.

I highly doubt ABS will have an on/off switch, but who knows?

It probably won't have a speed limiter -- it's not as if the thing will make enough power to break the sound barrier... they didn't limit the 7th gen Celica (US models), so why limit this one.

A LSD option would be nice...
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
7shades

Drives: JZX100, AE71(gze)
I currently drive (amongst other things) a JDM Toyota Chaser JZX100. This damn car has more electronic nannies than I have ever seen before, including the (mandatory in Japan) 180kph speed limiter.
These kind of limiters and driver aids are incorporated into pretty much ALL new vehicles as a means of satisfying safety requirements.
Thankfully though, all can be quite easily defeated or bypassed, and I would assume the FT to be the same.
7shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Jokem

Drives: 2006 RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
It's the 21st century. It will have at least a rev limiter and other protective goodies so people don't blow up their shiny new car...

I agree - 21st century = electronics/sensors in a lot of places. However, the cost of this vehicle is to remain low so I doubt you'll see anything as fancy like you do in the GT-R or Evo's.
Jokem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jokem For This Useful Post:
SnakeEyes (03-23-2013)
Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Richardcranium419

Drives: 2004 STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokem View Post
I agree - 21st century = electronics/sensors in a lot of places. However, the cost of this vehicle is to remain low so I doubt you'll see anything as fancy like you do in the GT-R or Evo's.

That is why it is good that it will have a subaru motor and ECU. Very easy to get rid of all the crap you don't really need.
Richardcranium419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
The big thing I hope it doesn't have is locking the traction control on if TPMS is not detected. What a pain it will be for people tracking their cars...

Simple on/off TC would be nice. I love my 2003 car because it doesn't have any of that technology crap. Just nice basic ABS and power steering...
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #12
Kenji

Drives: RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
The big thing I hope it doesn't have is locking the traction control on if TPMS is not detected. What a pain it will be for people tracking their cars...

Simple on/off TC would be nice. I love my 2003 car because it doesn't have any of that technology crap. Just nice basic ABS and power steering...
+1 man. TC better be able to be totally turned off in this thing.
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
Kenji

Drives: RX8
Quote:
Originally Posted by udon! View Post

I'm hoping that since the car is supposed to be an affordable small sports coupe that putting all the computer and electronic nannies/assistants in the car just won't be cost feasible. I want my driving to be fun and the performance to feel like I earned it. GT-R is a crazy fast car but some of the professional reviewers say that it's almost too easy to drive because of all the electronic assistance built into the car. I don't want that for the the FT-86.
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 AM   #14
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji View Post
+1 man. TC better be able to be totally turned off in this thing.
It is.