follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Basti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What size speakers?

I'm looking for a sound system upgrade and though I'm currently eyeing the solutions Alpine offers (dueto very good experiences), I was wondering what SIZE speakers I can actually put in the original spots.

Below the front window I was thinking of a generic tweeter, then right next to it a 130mm midrange speaker and a low range speaker in the doors, prolly about 160mm.

in the rear I'm guessing 130mm as well.

Anyone already do some audio mods and care to share what sizes fit where exactly?

Much appreciated
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
doors: 6.5"(160mm) fit perfect, 7" can fit with custom mounting brackets.
Mids: 3"(76mm) is what i used. a 4"(100mm) could probably fit with work.
cant say much about tweets as i picked dynaudio esotar2's which i need to make custom mounts for. same footprint as the 3" mid i used.

i would recommend not using the rear speakers for fill and setting up a good sound stage with your front speakers.
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FreshFRS For This Useful Post:
Basti (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Basti

nice, thanks.
I'm probably gonna lay 66% on the front, 33% rear output. Worked well in my old car.

I hadn't thought that the mids would be that small in front. I hope that I can find a satisfying model...
Can you say anything about the installation depth? Is it cramped in there?

There is a solution I have in mind for actually adding 2 160mm speakers but that might take time.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I recommend to use crutchfield.com website for speakers selection and setup as a guideline for this car.
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
nice, thanks.
I'm probably gonna lay 66% on the front, 33% rear output. Worked well in my old car.
The problem with this theory is the location of the speakers sucks for any kind of decent sound. If you insist on having rear speakers, work out a way to put a couple of shallow ones in the rear deck, or better yet leave the back seats folded down and put them in pods all the way in the back corners.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
nice, thanks.

I hadn't thought that the mids would be that small in front. I hope that I can find a satisfying model...
Can you say anything about the installation depth? Is it cramped in there?

There is a solution I have in mind for actually adding 2 160mm speakers but that might take time.

Mids only handle from around 500hz to 5000hz on average. 3" is fine for it. As for midbass, an 8 woulda let it dig down more its not needed either, a 6.5 can go down to 50hz without issue.

As for depth you can run 3 inches without issue for sure when using a .75" spacer. Not sure about without... but you need a spacer anyway to install the speaker.
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Basti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
The problem with this theory is the location of the speakers sucks for any kind of decent sound. If you insist on having rear speakers, work out a way to put a couple of shallow ones in the rear deck, or better yet leave the back seats folded down and put them in pods all the way in the back corners.
The speakers' locations really aren't all that bad if you just consider the front pieces. The door speakers are basically standard execution in any car I can think of but they really coulda left those tiny midrande sockets out.
As for the rear, I don't see the point either.

Well, bought this set yesterday: http://www.alpine.de/p/Products/custom-f…ers39/sxe-1350s

I've had some very good experiences w/ this system's bigger brother so I figured I should give it a shot. if they turn out to be too big for the dashboard socket I'll just put them in the rear.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The speakers' locations really aren't all that bad if you just consider the front pieces. The door speakers are basically standard execution in any car I can think of but they really coulda left those tiny midrande sockets out.
As for the rear, I don't see the point either.
I should have been clearer. I was referring specifically to the rears. I've seen much worse speaker locations than the fronts in this car. A good 4 inch can go down to 300 with volume and clarity. With a good processor to compensate for the reflection off the glass, a bass driver in the door can be blended quite nicely to give you a pretty good sound stage.

These are pricey, but exactly what I'm talking about. The woofer crosses over at 250hz, which means all the mids and highs are coming from the same location, which is huge. Granted, they are bouncing off the glass, but that can be tuned for to some extent.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/main_series/hd/hd642.htm

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 06-07-2013 at 01:27 PM.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Basti

I see. What you're implying is exactly what I have in mind, too. As I understand from previous discussions, those rear speakers are just for adding a sense of volume to the interior space of the car. So, not being a pro in Car HiFi (and not caring that much, anyway) I don't bother with calculations and just try. I don't need anything superfancy, good quality at decent sound levels is OK. I'm way more interested in the fitment.