follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question MP3 management software for PC?

I enjoy having the options I have on my Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS as far as music sources (SD reader, 2 USB ports, bluetooth, CD/DVD, Pandora, etc.). Like most people nowadays all/most of my music library is in mp3 files. I have primarily been an iOS person for awhile now and my old 30GB ipod is in my 4Runner and I would like to keep it there.

You Android folks, don't hate, but I like the functionality provided by iTunes and my iPods/iPhone with their Genius playlists and regular playlists etc, but I just don't want to shell out more $$ for another iPod and do want to maximize use of my SD card reader and thumb-drive ports.

For the FRS and AVH-X8500BHS, I manually load mp3s onto SD cards and USB thumb drives, but a lot of times there's just music that I move over that I just don't want to hear and I know there's music I have in my library that I haven't gotten around to moving over for the car. I know this is mostly caused by having I stupidly large music collection that started in the early days of Napster in my college dorm rooms, but wondering if anybody has any recommendations for PC-based software that can better manage music onto SD cards and USB thumb-drives.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Why not get the iPhone and use the Pioneer adapter for it to the AVH-8500BHS? Some of your apps will be accessible through the head unit. Waze or GPS drive for GPS NAV, pandora, etc. There are a couple of kits based upon what adapter you use. With the lightning adapter you need the video kit apadter from apple also. With the 30 pin adapter you only need it. Also the kits charge the phone for you while you use it.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You can use iTunes to organize your collection and then just copy your iTunes directory to your sd card/flash drive. iTunes just puts your mp3s into folders based on artist then album.
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Why not get the iPhone and use the Pioneer adapter for it to the AVH-8500BHS? Some of your apps will be accessible through the head unit. Waze or GPS drive for GPS NAV, pandora, etc. There are a couple of kits based upon what adapter you use. With the lightning adapter you need the video kit apadter from apple also. With the 30 pin adapter you only need it. Also the kits charge the phone for you while you use it.
I have the iPhone 5 working in AppRadio mode with the AVH-X8500BHS, but the CarMediaPlay app under AppRadio frankly kind of sucks. Plus I don't want to be limited to music on my measly 16GB iphone when I have 32GB SD cards and thumbdrives.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmspooner View Post
You can use iTunes to organize your collection and then just copy your iTunes directory to your sd card/flash drive. iTunes just puts your mp3s into folders based on artist then album.
Yeah, but my library is about 400GB large right now so it might be a pricey SD car/thumb drive to fit all of that. Really, I would just like to be able to use iTunes playlists (and Genius playlists) on SD cards and thumbdrives is what I'm looking for.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
cmspooner

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ - Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Make a folder on your sd card/flash drive. Make a playlist for that folder in iTunes. Select all of the songs in that playlist and drag it to the folder.
cmspooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
Sbeezy

Drives: 2001 ZX2, WRBP BRZ (soon hopefully)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Yeah, but my library is about 400GB large right now so it might be a pricey SD car/thumb drive to fit all of that. Really, I would just like to be able to use iTunes playlists (and Genius playlists) on SD cards and thumbdrives is what I'm looking for.
Is that 400GB lossless or Mp3's? everyone always says my 315GB lossless collection is huge... My acoustics engineer has a 1.5TB lossless collection.
Sbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbeezy View Post
Is that 400GB lossless or Mp3's? everyone always says my 315GB lossless collection is huge... My acoustics engineer has a 1.5TB lossless collection.
My music is mostly MP3s. I also have some foreign music (not mine) in FLAC right now that I got from the in-laws that I'm trying to convert to MP3 for my parents, but I haven't gone around to that yet.

My point isn't to debate about what is constitutes a large library, but rather I need something to help organize the music I want to listen to the most onto 16-32GB SD cards and thumbdrives.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Sbeezy

Drives: 2001 ZX2, WRBP BRZ (soon hopefully)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
it isnt a debate but that is a huge Mp3 collection... The best way to organize the music is the most pain staking way(tagging and dragging and dropping into folders)... I would get a couple of SD cards for the different Genres you listen to and just load them that way or get a 5th gen ipod and throw a 240GB hdd in it you should get around 80k tracks with that much space.
Sbeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I did a quick web search and came across this:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/software/media-manager/

I have never used it, but it may do what you are looking for.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zippy For This Useful Post:
mit_peid (06-08-2013)