follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Saab2Frs

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin Header Back Review

Quick Words and Review

Hey All,

Finally got my header back system installed this weekend. This is my first exhaust system ever, so I wasn't used to the noise. At first, I wondered if i accidentally received the unresonated version, but after a while I grew used to the sound and decided that it wasn't as loud as I thought.

But that's a good thing. I didn't want the loudest exhaust on the market. It has this wonderful low thrum to it and then a nice boxer-rumble under throttle. The only word I can use, and am borrowing from everyone else, is: mature.

I drive about 200 miles yesterday and noticed an improved throttle response, at least in the lower revs. I didn't go WOT as I was still getting use to the noise.

The fit and finish is great. The slash cut tips are nice. I would prefer them to be a little larger to fill the rear diffusor (for example, Greddy's exhaust fills the holes nicely), but I'm not going to complain because they look much better than stock.

Installation

Installation was not as easy as the videos from brzclub show. Nor were they as simple as the DIY forum posts. There were moments where pipes didn't align until the they were fully tightened and the S-pipe did rattle against the frame. The pipes seemed as though they needed to be just a little more bent in certain areas or straighter in others. The example I use is the front pipe to the over pipe. The fitment wasn't flush and only became so after it was tightened into oblivion.

The midpipe is also a finger tip's width from the frame. No rattles on that and hopefully it will stay that way. Because of the fitment we had to wiggle the piping on the hangers and so the tips may not be 100% straight. Now, if we had used a lift we may have had an easier time aligning everything, but we were using a jack and stands.

The difficulty we encountered was a small price to pay for such an awesome and well made system. It is not ricer sounding and it fills the cabin with a pleasant grumble.

With a jack and stands the job took about 4 hours. With a lift, I can imagine it taking much less time.

For all those wondering if they should buy the Perrin Header Back System....

Yes. Go for it. It's a well made, well researched system. The sound is amazing and the tips look good in the diffusor. There is a noticeable response in low down torque from what I've noticed, the "butt dyno" as someone called it.

I got my system through Mike with CZP. They had quick shipping and got me a great deal.

Saab2Frs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saab2Frs For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_ADAM (03-25-2013), Timmy_Jones (03-25-2013), zoomzoomers (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Nice writeup, any install pictures? Videos?
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So did you get the hi-flow car version or catless?

Thanks
shu5892001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Saab2Frs

I got the catted and resonated version.

No pictures or videos yet. I couldn't take pics of the install since we only had a jack and two stands. There was no room to photo.

I'll "try" to get a video of the sound, but all i have is my iphone 4. No GoPro like some people, unfortunately.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Nice! Did one of our forum members end up helping you with the install?

I'm waiting for a break in the weather before I put my Perrin OP/catted FP on to go along with my Perrin non-resonated catback. Hopefully will get a chance to do that tomorrow or Wednesday - temps are supposed to hit back into the 50s again so that should give me some decent weather to work on the car.

Once it's on, maybe we can meet up somewhere and compare both systems (non-resonated vs. resonated) and shoot some sound samples for everyone.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
Saab2Frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Nice! Did one of our forum members end up helping you with the install?

I'm waiting for a break in the weather before I put my Perrin OP/catted FP on to go along with my Perrin non-resonated catback. Hopefully will get a chance to do that tomorrow or Wednesday - temps are supposed to hit back into the 50s again so that should give me some decent weather to work on the car.

Once it's on, maybe we can meet up somewhere and compare both systems (non-resonated vs. resonated) and shoot some sound samples for everyone.
That'd be great Foobar! I actually went home to RI and my dad helped me with the installation since he has all the tools needed to tackle any automotive issue. It was pure agony wiggling under that car, but I think I've perfected "the worm" and will be performing it at the next wedding I attend.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
ubernostrum

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Ltd GBS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone had any issues with bolts popping at the overpipe-frontpipe connection? I've lost 3 now. All torqued to spec. Realigned the whole exhaust system to make sure fitment was spot on. Whenever I get it really hot i poke around under the hood to find one of the bolts missing.
ubernostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
KVDB31

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphault
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post
Has anyone had any issues with bolts popping at the overpipe-frontpipe connection? I've lost 3 now. All torqued to spec. Realigned the whole exhaust system to make sure fitment was spot on. Whenever I get it really hot i poke around under the hood to find one of the bolts missing.
Are you installing with a lock washer? If you already tried that, maybe a locking header bolt type of assembly would do you some good. See the link below for what I mean. These are made for headers or exhaust manifolds, but I'm sure you can find them individually as well, in a size that would still clear your pipe.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/stg-8911/overview/
KVDB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Installed my over pipe and catted front pipe today. I now have that awesome sound I lost with the GReddy Evo3 and no drone to speak of.

I didn't use locking washers on my op/fp connection so we'll see how well it stays together.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Saab2Frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernostrum View Post
There wasn't even enough thread left on one of the bolts to do a lock washer.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab2Frs View Post
There wasn't even enough thread left on one of the bolts to do a lock washer.
If you have received the correct bolts, there should be enough length to fit all the hardware included. If possible, could you possibly verify the bolt length and let us know?

Thanks!
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
If you have received the correct bolts, there should be enough length to fit all the hardware included. If possible, could you possibly verify the bolt length and let us know?

Thanks!
It was definitely a tight fit to try and use the lock washers - are they absolutely required? I ended up using the flat ones instead of the split ones. I'll have to check it again later to make sure I used the proper bolts.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
It was definitely a tight fit to try and use the lock washers - are they absolutely required? I ended up using the flat ones instead of the split ones. I'll have to check it again later to make sure I used the proper bolts.
No, they are not absolutely required. You should be fine with the set up that you have mentioned.
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
No, they are not absolutely required. You should be fine with the set up that you have mentioned.
Right on, I'll keep an eye on it.

By the way, if I have Jeff's stage 1 tune already, should I send some logs in and have him tweak if necessary or does the addition of the OP/FP not require it?