follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
decoratordm

Drives: Firestorm Auto FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry mice in engine....

I have found mice chewing wiring in my FRS. I took it into the shop (not Toyota dealer) and they have ordered a special Honda Rodent Tape. Does anyone know about this tape, and how effective it might be? I have also installed some bags with smelling herbs inside the four corners of the engine, in hopes that the mice will leave it alone. Snap traps have not been working, and poisons are not yet being eaten.

Suggestions.....
It seems that the tape used is made from soya beans, whose idea was it to do this I wonder. Is anyone at Scion/Toyota listening or reading this?????
decoratordm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Juanito08

Drives: Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoratordm View Post
I have found mice chewing wiring in my FRS. I took it into the shop (not Toyota dealer) and they have ordered a special Honda Rodent Tape. Does anyone know about this tape, and how effective it might be? I have also installed some bags with smelling herbs inside the four corners of the engine, in hopes that the mice will leave it alone. Snap traps have not been working, and poisons are not yet being eaten.

Suggestions.....
It seems that the tape used is made from soya beans, whose idea was it to do this I wonder. Is anyone at Scion/Toyota listening or reading this?????
Wow this sucks! I'm guessing this is happening in your garage? IMO I would put anything in the engine like the bags you used. It would suck for them to fall or move and cause problems. I would try rat repellent plug in. It makes some kind of noise that keeps rats, rodents,roaches and other bugs away .
Juanito08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Fever

Drives: '13FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've not had the chance to use, but heard that mothballs spread underneath the car will repel mice. Or, peppermint oil in a few beer caps. They don't like the smell of either.
Stupid mice.
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
leave anti freeze out.. If they drink it like water, im sure they will die.
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I had a mouse nest and then die in my A/C ventilation. That was awful. The whole car smelled terrible. They had to take out the entire unit, take it apart, clean and disinfect it, deoderize it (which made it tolerable but it was still pretty bad for a while), and then put it all back together.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
There is a small device on the market that emits a non audible frequency that will keep the mice/rats away. My parents have used one with great success. Could help keep them out of your garage at least.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
Get some sticky traps and place several around the garage walls and on each side of the garage door.

I had trouble with mice in the past but since using sticky traps I've not had any mice troubles...though I do catch a crap load of spiders!
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by decoratordm View Post
Suggestions.....
Do you like cats?
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
31katys (02-14-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid View Post
Get some sticky traps and place several around the garage walls and on each side of the garage door.

I had trouble with mice in the past but since using sticky traps I've not had any mice troubles...though I do catch a crap load of spiders!
We had a problem with mice in my parent's house a long time ago and we tried the humane traps, the snap traps, and then finally the sticky. Those sticky traps are inhumane and awful. Now I'm not going to cry over some dead mice, but when I had to clean up the trap that had a mouse that had chewed two of its legs off, ripped out half of its fur, and yet was somehow still alive in freezing cold weather.. ugh.. I mercy killed a lot of those poor things rather than let them die like that. They work great, sure, but that'd be my last resort if I ever had to go through it again.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
There is a small device on the market that emits a non audible frequency that will keep the mice/rats away. My parents have used one with great success. Could help keep them out of your garage at least.
So they migrate inside under his bed!

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Scooter Style

Drives: 2015 BRZ/ Blue Series/ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get a cat.... Problem solved.
2013 SWP BRZ #137 First BRZ in Columbus, OH! SOLD
2015 WRB Blue Series #900/1000
Team Rowdy
Ohio Native
Instgram brooks_church
Scooter Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
BMWDavid

Drives: '89 911, '06 GTI, '13 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
We had a problem with mice in my parent's house a long time ago and we tried the humane traps, the snap traps, and then finally the sticky. Those sticky traps are inhumane and awful. Now I'm not going to cry over some dead mice, but when I had to clean up the trap that had a mouse that had chewed two of its legs off, ripped out half of its fur, and yet was somehow still alive in freezing cold weather.. ugh.. I mercy killed a lot of those poor things rather than let them die like that. They work great, sure, but that'd be my last resort if I ever had to go through it again.
That may be true but the first time you have a chewed up wire harness you will be ready to nuke any mouse in sight! That said I also have three indoor-outdoor cats. They keep the mice away pretty much now, but every now and then they will leave a "gift" on the door step...a dead mouse.

Now that I have the cats I need to be sure they are inside before opening the garage door. Cats with claws and cars don't mix!
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited 6MT-gone but not forgotten
2014 Nissan Murano SV
BMWDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid View Post
That may be true but the first time you have a chewed up wire harness you will be ready to nuke any mouse in sight! That said I also have three indoor-outdoor cats. They keep the mice away pretty much now, but every now and then they will leave a "gift" on the door step...a dead mouse.

Now that I have the cats I need to be sure they are inside before opening the garage door. Cats with claws and cars don't mix!
Hah, I haven't had any chewed wire harnesses, but we did have a raccoon sneak into our garage/attic and try to call it home. I went out to my car one morning and there was a pile of... something on the roof.. Got closer... Yup.. huge pile of raccoon shit all over the roof.

I have a cat now though. Occasionally she'll "kill" one of her toys and try to present it to me.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Lol ^^
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote