follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Z_Rocks

Drives: Import
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Xenon and/or LED DRL?

I'm still confused. Does anyone know for sure if the US version of either car would come with Xenon/LED as an option? I've had Xenon for the past 10 years, I'm not going back to regular light even though it has projection lens.

No bashing, if you don't have an answer, just let it go...
Thanks!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I don't think it will, no models shown have had HID's or LED DRL's for North America. Especially as a Scion I don't see it happening.

If you want those features, the Subaru may be a better option? Adding the factory setup after the fact will be quite expensive. Doing an HID conversion will be cheaper, but not nearly as ideal (or legal -- though that doesn't stop most people).

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
HyperTech

Drives: Mazda3 2013 / Scion FR-S 2015
we never know with scion, they have all sort of "upgrade" for expensive ammount.

for me, less gadgets is less expensive to repair.
HyperTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Jeff Lange

Typically Scions leave the factory mono-spec and the rest of the options are done at port, or at the dealer before you pick up the car. It's the easiest way to personalize the car without having to do factory orders.

Unfortunately HID's are relatively involved to do port/dealer installed, as HID's have an auto-leveling system which involves F/R ride height sensors, motors for the headlights, and a computer to control it all (usually with a Yaw rate sensor or input from the VSC/VDIM system).

It's not cheap to add a complete factory-type HID system to a car that doesn't have it.

Jeff

Old 12-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
blacknbean
Butterscotch Boss

Drives: 335i
the brz has xenons/hids. i doubt it will even be an option for the scion, but you can always buy the jdm parts.
blacknbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Jeff Lange

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
the brz has xenons/hids. i doubt it will even be an option for the scion, but you can always buy the jdm parts.
I would avoid the Japan-spec ones as they will likely have the beam pattern set up for a RHD scenario. (Unless it's completely flat, which it might be). I'd go for a European LHD factory setup if anything.

Jeff

Old 12-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Sure hope we can get those headlights from Europe, if you get the Japanese ones they'll probably blind people. There's always an aftermarket, I'm waiting to see if they'll have good quality black housing ones out.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
JDLM

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
I would avoid the Japan-spec ones as they will likely have the beam pattern set up for a RHD scenario. (Unless it's completely flat, which it might be). I'd go for a European LHD factory setup if anything.

Jeff

This is going to be everyone's best bet.

It is so hard to say how SCION is going to spec it out but they do make money from "add-ons" this was a huge selling point for the brand when it was launch albeit offering cheap ichiban knobs etc... isn't what everyone is looking for but it seemed to work

AWE90/ZSP/ZPP/2XA/NAV/HID/DPE////M/EAS/Disma
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
From what I've read the BRZ is supposed to have HID and LED lights. If not they'll be getting a retrofit on mine.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Typically Scions leave the factory mono-spec and the rest of the options are done at port, or at the dealer before you pick up the car. It's the easiest way to personalize the car without having to do factory orders.

Unfortunately HID's are relatively involved to do port/dealer installed, as HID's have an auto-leveling system which involves F/R ride height sensors, motors for the headlights, and a computer to control it all (usually with a Yaw rate sensor or input from the VSC/VDIM system).

It's not cheap to add a complete factory-type HID system to a car that doesn't have it.

Jeff
Jeff, your point covers all my points about self installing HIDs. I had done it before and will not go through the None-OEM again and that's why I'm hoping either BRZ or FRS would offer it directly from the factory.

I don't consider good lighting as Gadget but more of a necessity. So much problems can be avoided when you see a longer ranger (especially when driving fast at night)
Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very interesting, thanks for the post.

Quote:

Jeff
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:

Jeff
Not all HID systems have self adjusting systems complete with motors and sensors.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
Not all HID systems have self adjusting systems complete with motors and sensors.
Your right my 350z has factory hids and they are not auto leveling.

But I think most of the new Toyota hid setups found mostly in the Lexus models are auto leveling. They probably just used the same system that is in the new GS350 in the 86 and BRZ. Subaru has hids standard on the wrx limited and both Sti models. They could be using that kind of setup in the BRZ.

You got to admit the BRZ headlights are totally awesome..with the u shaped led halo accent.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
You got to admit the BRZ headlights are totally awesome..with the u shaped led halo accent.
That's what I want...