follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Floating feeling

For a while now I feel like I am floating alot through corners and it doesn't feel as precise as it once did or I am too used to how it feels and its not stiff enough.

Even when I am driving 60km(normal road speed limit) i can feel the car move about in my lane and always correcting where it is moving around.

What would be the cause of this?

I've have done 8000kms on the car and it is completely stock heaps of rubber left.

I did have a puncture in my rear right tyre this as been fixed and it still feels floaty.

I am not sure if I need new rubber or new suspension.

What do you recommend?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Did you check the air in all four tires?
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Did you check the air in all four tires?
No I personally haven't but when my tyre was fixed they checked all pressures but I will check them next time I get fuel (Tomorrow).
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

so tyre pressures where fine all above 40 psi...

Which i was a little wierd since the plack on the door says 35psi... what should it be?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
DEnd

Drives: anyone seen my steering wheel?
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What do you mean by floating feeling?

How large are the movements? and how are you correcting them? With a well tuned car suspension you will get some movement in the corners, part of this is perceptual, and part is real. The Perceptual part is that most turns in the real world have a bit of variation to them, rarely will you have any that run a perfect arc. You are also sitting much closer to the road and as you gain awareness of the vehicle you will notice movement that you didn't in say a pick-up truck (even if the movements are the same).

Real movements result from a couple of factors. One of these is how you drive, in these cars even minor differences in power application can result in some movement, as well as how smoothly you turn in and exit the turn. Another thing that can cause real movement of the vehicle is the road surface; bumps, divots, and undulations all cause a vehicle to move.

You are also at the mileage (kilometerage?) where stuff is broken in allowing it to move easier.

Of course it could also be plenty of things out of whack as well, like your alignment, differing tire pressures, loose ball joints or rod ends, loose suspension pieces, loose nut behind the wheel, etc...
DEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEnd For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
BadCompany235
#TrackAddicts

Drives: The Dipped Car
Garage
cold around 34-35, warm 38-40, starts to fall off around 44

Chadbee Photography / Passion Moves Photography
BadCompany235 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BadCompany235 For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEnd View Post
What do you mean by floating feeling?

Floating as in when you are mid corner it just didn't feel planted and I can feel the weight shift not just over the corner but just movement hard to describe.

How large are the movements? and how are you correcting them? With a well tuned car suspension you will get some movement in the corners, part of this is perceptual, and part is real. The Perceptual part is that most turns in the real world have a bit of variation to them, rarely will you have any that run a perfect arc. You are also sitting much closer to the road and as you gain awareness of the vehicle you will notice movement that you didn't in say a pick-up truck (even if the movements are the same).

Real movements result from a couple of factors. One of these is how you drive, in these cars even minor differences in power application can result in some movement, as well as how smoothly you turn in and exit the turn. Another thing that can cause real movement of the vehicle is the road surface; bumps, divots, and undulations all cause a vehicle to move.

You are also at the mileage (kilometerage?) where stuff is broken in allowing it to move easier.

Of course it could also be plenty of things out of whack as well, like your alignment, differing tire pressures, loose ball joints or rod ends, loose suspension pieces, loose nut behind the wheel, etc...
When I say movement I would say enough to make me go oh i need to correct this... and it's not only just happening on corners but whilst on the straights i have to adjust move the wheel to keep it going straight.

Happy to admit I am not the best of drivers and i might take the wrong line more often then not, but when turning i always aim for a smooth wheel motion not jaring motions.

Alignments should be okay after the repairs tyre. Might have to get under the car and poke around for lose things as I did notice it after they "replaced my trans oil". What is around that area that could cause this effect?

Might also book it in for its first service.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCompany235 View Post
cold around 34-35, warm 38-40, starts to fall off around 44
I guess i did drive it for about 10 mins before getting fuel so 40 for warm sounds okay to me.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
DEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
When I say movement I would say enough to make me go oh i need to correct this... and it's not only just happening on corners but whilst on the straights i have to adjust move the wheel to keep it going straight.

Happy to admit I am not the best of drivers and i might take the wrong line more often then not, but when turning i always aim for a smooth wheel motion not jaring motions.

Alignments should be okay after the repairs tyre. Might have to get under the car and poke around for lose things as I did notice it after they "replaced my trans oil". What is around that area that could cause this effect?

Might also book it in for its first service.
Ask around and find a good alignment shop (probably won't be a name brand retail outfit, though auto dealerships normally have pretty decent alignment people). Pick up a tread wear gauge and measure your tread wear across the tire, as well as around the tire. run your hand around the tire and see if you notice any bumps or undulations in the tire.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The car is definitly very sensitive as far as steering goes, any little movement will results in a change of direction. If you get an alignment with more toe-in I think it might help as it makes the car more prone to head up straight ahead. Somebody might want to chime in about it...
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
DEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
The car is definitly very sensitive as far as steering goes, any little movement will results in a change of direction. If you get an alignment with more toe-in I think it might help as it makes the car more prone to head up straight ahead. Somebody might want to chime in about it...
That depends on where it is now. It might not be an issue of too little toe-in, but an issue of unequal toe-in, or the wrong unequal toe/alignment for local conditions. It could also be an issue of having the toe knocked out of whack on the rear of the car as well. It could also be an issue with the tires, or many other things.

The place to start is tread wear, and alignment, and a good inspection of all the suspension and steering mounting points.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Quote:
ut an issue of unequal toe-in,
Unequal toe in on the front wheels isn't really important. It will just result in the steering wheel being off centre when driving in a straight line.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ck View Post
Unequal toe in on the front wheels isn't really important. It will just result in the steering wheel being off centre when driving in a straight line.
yes... only that

you wont have an issue with bump steering affecting the right and left wheels differently thus having every single bump force your car to change direction at different rates.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,273 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
IMO everyone should get the OEM camber bolts and have the car aligned once they get the car. Makes a huge difference and those bolts are dirt cheap. I don't trust factory alignments anyway.

I'm not convinced that's the problem here though...I think the FR-S is just really soft up front and the chassis moves around a bit. Super soft springs and squishy bushings.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Moshpit37 (01-27-2013)