follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Winter is coming...

Oh Sean Bean, why must your character die in every movie/show I like that you're in..

Anyway, as fall starts, I'm sure most of us in the northern states and Canada are also looking ahead to winter and the dilemma of what to do with our cars.

This is the first car that I'd like to not drive in the winter thanks to the terrible salty roads around here that will eat the car up as well as the rust that will eventually follow years down the road. I'd like to put it away, but my concern is how to do it properly so when spring comes there isn't any problems. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to do it? Other then filling the tank up fully and adding stabilizer to the fuel.

Of course, I could just move south, then I'll be able to drive year round without a problem!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My tip is to go seach the miata forums, theyve been doing it for decades.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
jellygorilla

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
jellygorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jellygorilla For This Useful Post:
azngolfur (09-19-2012), boonFRS (09-22-2012), czar07 (09-18-2012), dori. (09-20-2012), JiB (09-20-2012), kevinnivek8877 (09-18-2012), Nevermore (09-19-2012), WRXGuy1 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
brzperformance.net

Drives: forester XT, 04 STi, Sequoia
You can still drive it on occasion, just be sure and wash it, rinse the under carriage, ect. Youll want to change the oil every 3-5 months even if you dont put any miles on it.
brzperformance.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzperformance.net View Post
You can still drive it on occasion, just be sure and wash it, rinse the under carriage, ect. Youll want to change the oil every 3-5 months even if you dont put any miles on it.

just drive few occasionally when salty road is cleared up.
like a once a week? 1 mile drive?
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
While I will avoid driving in the snow whenever possible, 90% of the time the roads are clear in the winter, usually within a few hours of a storm ending. I'll just be sure to get a car wash frequently.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Jayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
My tip is to go seach the miata forums, theyve been doing it for decades.
Thanks for the tip! I'll go check and see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellygorilla View Post
Funny thing is, I was thinking of this same exact picture when I made this thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
just drive few occasionally when salty road is cleared up.
like a once a week? 1 mile drive?
I was talking to a coworker today suggests against that. Then again, he was talking about starting it for like 5mins then shutting off, which could lead to condensation in the oil. I'm looking to park it and not touch it till spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
While I will avoid driving in the snow whenever possible, 90% of the time the roads are clear in the winter, usually within a few hours of a storm ending. I'll just be sure to get a car wash frequently.
Pretty much the same here. My commute is on a busy road, and is cleared usually right away, with the cars moving the salt off it quickly. I'm just concerned that when it's snowing/right after. Guess I could just call in sick that day.

That's what I plan on doing too, if I drive it in the winter, to get it washed at least once a week, if not more, depending on the roads. Touchless wash with undercarriage rinse by my house too. I'll even try to get a hand wash in once a week or so. Another concern would be removing the snow on the car when it does snow without scratching the clear coat and removing the ice on the windows. Then again, my old car took years to warm up in the cold, thus making me have to scrape the ice off the windows manually to get anywhere.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
brzperformance.net

Drives: forester XT, 04 STi, Sequoia
yea im referring to DRIVING it, like to work, the mall, your Grandmas house, not just around the block. Change the oil a few times. Only keep 1-2 gallons of gas in the tank and refill after each short trip.
brzperformance.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Jayde

Quote:
yea im referring to DRIVING it, like to work, the mall, your Grandmas house, not just around the block. Change the oil a few times. Only keep 1-2 gallons of gas in the tank and refill after each short trip.
Never heard that before. Leaving the fuel tank empty that is. Wouldn't that make it easier for condensation to form from the change of temp, which then causes rust?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Salt is only corrosive at warmer temperatures.