follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Rich1

Drives: Cadillac DeVille DHS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Scion/Subaru Ordering Process for Canada

Maybe there are other threads but I'm hoping that collectively we can put this together for Canada specifically.

I'm still trying to figure the ordering process out as I'm waiting for my delivery. I've read so far that it's not really an order to the Fuji Heavy Industries factory to produce your car like one would think.

So far my hypothesis seems to be:

1. You place order with dealership with a $1k deposit and signed papers.
2. If the Dealership doesn't already have the car with ETA or that is unaccounted for, the Dealership waits to get allocation from Scion/Subaru Canada
3. If you are at the top of the list at allocation time your order gets submitted to Scion/Subaru Canada
4. Scion/Subaru Canada then allocates car by region based on a production
cycle and it's provided to the region which the dealer is in.
5. Entered orders get an ETA and VIN if there is a match- otherwise
dealers trade between themselves to fulfill orders.
6. Car gets delivered around Eta. If the buyer does not close on the car then it's available either for sale or for trade with another dealer
7. If the buyer closes the customer takes delivery and posts their new arrival on the forum!

Oh...and before step 1 all the way past step 7. Customer logs onto this forum and surfs endlessly for updates and mod ideas :happy0180:
And also spends tonnes of money on mod parts before they actually get their FRS.
Rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
stateless
Double Dragon

Drives: 2013 6MT BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
In Canada for Subaru they do make an order to Fuji Heavy Industries for each car. Each dealership is given a certain amount of vehicle orders they can make. Each dealership knows how many vehicle orders they can make for the year. These orders can be made for any color/trim/transmission. Some have also traded with other dealerships to be able to order more (or for vehicles already ordered that weren't sold, in which case the setup is already chosen).

These orders have a VON (Vehicle Order Number) at the time of the order. Once the car is built, it gets a VIN and is put on the boat. After that, the dealer can only see when it hits port (if they are inclined to check). The ETA of its release from port and arrival at the dealership is unknown until it happens.

I think some (or perhaps all) dealerships may also get an allocated vehicle (or possibly more than one), probably for a test car, and I would guess all already got this and sold it, if true. The dealership would not get to decide the setup for these cars but may have been able to make requests.

$1K deposit is common but not standard. Dealerships are free to charge less or have no deposit, as was the case for my car.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Jereina

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This is the process that I had when I ordered my car.

It goes by when you signed the papers/put deposit down.
Every 2 weeks the dealerships are sent an email from Scion telling them how many FR-S the dealerships can order.
The dealer puts in the order and usually Scion will have their choice already at port in Vancouver. The dealer can check on Scion's internal network where the car is once the order has been accepted and is given an ETA on when the car will arrive on the dealer's lots.
It takes about 2 weeks to get the car from Vancouver to Toronto.

So if you are still waiting for your car, there's probably people ahead of you that haven't had their orders put in yet.

Good luck to all!
Jereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
thorlius
Canadian

Drives: Frieda: Firestorm/MT (11/28/2012)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
If it was every 2 weeks that they got allocations, I'd have my car by now. I've been 2nd on the list since a couple weeks after I ordered it, and today is day 63 with no ETA.
thorlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Jereina

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The dealer has to have the car delivered to the customer before scion corporate will allow that dealer to place more orders
Maybe your dealer has a few unsold frs that nobody wants?
Hard to say whats going on at your dealership
Jereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
dcfr

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
According to the FR-S sales figures within some of the post on this forum (since May to present) I assume that it should be somehow close to or equal to SOLD OUT situation for the FR-S. I remember that there's 2000 FR-S available for sale in Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong. But just a quick FYI.
dcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
VENOM~

Drives: 2013 sti
sold out, I hope thats not the case. I hope I get mine soon
VENOM~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, eta, ordering, wait time