follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
Subielove1

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin Oil Cooler Issues with 2017+ BRZ M/T

Clearance Issues While Installing Perrin Oil Cooler in a 2019 BRZ M/T

Having fitment issues with the gigantic stock airbox where the fittings screw on below the oil filter.

Perrin emailed me back saying that most of their customers get a heat gun and gently massage back forward that small portion of the offending area of the airbox to get the slight clearance needed.

Not wanting to install an aftermarket intake due to MAF rescaling. Already running an OTS Stage2+ Openflash tune with catless JDL UEL Headers. Don't have the time to do the datalogs for the custom tune.

Will I need to rescale MAF even if I just swap a 2013-16 air intake tubing and airbox?

Or should I just take the heat gun and run with it?

What have you guys done to solve this problem?

Last edited by Subielove1; 11-01-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: redundant text removed
Subielove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subielove1 View Post
Installing Perrin Oil Cooler in a 2019 BRZ M/T

Having fitment issues with the gigantic stock airbox where the fittings screw on below the oil filter.

Perrin emailed me back saying that most of their customers get a heat gun and gently massage back forward that small portion of the offending area of the airbox to get the slight clearance needed.

Not wanting to install an aftermarket intake due to MAF rescaling. Already running an OTS Stage2+ Openflash tune with catless JDL UEL Headers. Don't have the time to do the datalogs for the custom tune.

Will I need to rescale MAF even if I just swap a 2013-16 air intake tubing and airbox?
Or should I just take the heat gun and run with it?

I'd probably go with the heat gun option. The 13-16 box may be worse. It's a little more square. I had a JR sandwich and the lines were rubbing the box. It was a pain getting to the filter.
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blsfrs For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,478 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Other option is to switch to Banjo fittings. Just make sure they are torqued correct and safetied.
Attached Images

Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (11-02-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 10:22 PM   #4
Subielove1

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
After reading user steve99's posts on the Grimmspeed cold air intake, I have decided to go with that route. Apparently the MAF placement on the Grimmspeed Intake is so similar to OEM that MAF rescaling is not required. I gave the Perrin Intake a look at too, but no way in hell am I going to remove the bumper just to clean the air filter. Will datalog after to verify that the engine is running optimally.

Spent almost all day reading. Really got sucked into the rabbit hole today haha
Subielove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subielove1 For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (11-02-2023)

Tags
oil cooler, perrin oil cooler