follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FINALLY - Got my FR-S

Well let me do a quick post here and I will elaborate on more points later when I'm not out driving the damn thing.

1. Power: To those of you who think this car lacks it or is slow, GTFO. This car has plenty of pep even when compared to the s2000. It is not difficult to break the rear tires on dry pavement below 4k rpm. Hell I even did a slight second gear drift last night. The car is actually is just so stable it hides its speed like an Acura NSX, I did about XXmph last night and it got there with such ease (think 6th @ 4k rpm).

2. Handling: Nothing really needs to be said here that has not been said. The mechanical grip is amazing though it is fun as hell to go beyond its limits as they just slowly morph into an elegant slide.

3. Interior: Once again, people need to calm the **** down about it. It's fantastic and I have not a single issue (though the speakers are not the best but that's a minor problem that I could care less about).

4. Looks: Well in hot lava it looks like a damn ferrari so I'm quite pleased. Actually part of me is thinking of getting some ferrari logos and throwing them on the car just to troll dumbasses.

5. Overall package 10/10. There is a reason why this car has won damn near every comparison and won top gear's car of the year award. I'm beyond happy with the car and so many of the issues that are discussed about it are so irreverent when you actually drive the car. Bench race it all you want, but it is essentially a usable Honda S2000 with much more room and is equal in so many ways. By the way, the limited slip is brilliant, it is so awesome when it kicks in.

More pictures to come...by the way, it gets great gas mileage too, without even trying (and driving hard) I'm currently at 30.1 mpg.
Attached Images

SkitterSkotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looks great! Glad you like it.
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
SkitterSkotter (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
haloterence

Drives: 2013 whiteout fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome to the family! I would like to see more comparison pics with the s2000 if you don't mind.
haloterence is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haloterence For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (08-01-2012), SkitterSkotter (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
tnt

Drives: argento frs at
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
very nice congrats
tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tnt For This Useful Post:
SkitterSkotter (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitterSkotter View Post
I did about XXmph last night and it got there with such ease (think 6th @ 4k rpm).
That XXmph = 90 mph

When you sit in FR-S, is your eye level higher in FR-S or S2000? I'm just curious because when I see S2000 around, they look lower.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
ngabdala (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
SkitterSkotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haloterence View Post
Welcome to the family! I would like to see more comparison pics with the s2000 if you don't mind.
I will try to do that tomorrow, it will not be a problem. Just for reference the car is almost the exact same length, as far as the eye can discern they are the same length. The reason I keep comparing it to the S200 is 1) I know that car quite well, and 2) it is really the performance benchmark for an inexpensive sports car.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
SkitterSkotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
That XXmph = 90 mph

When you sit in FR-S, is your eye level higher in FR-S or S2000? I'm just curious because when I see S2000 around, they look lower.
It may be like an inch or two higher than the S2000, but there is such a small difference that it is basically impossible to notice. As far as the interior goes, both cars have almost the exact same shift throw, center consul set up, e-brake location, and eye placement on the tachometer/digital speedometer.

On a separate note, I drove the car around today for a while and I'm now at 150 miles. I'm sitting right at 30.1 mpg and it has been hella fun to drive (and yes, 90 is about correct). I'm thinking of removing the lame ass exhaust tips as they do nothing and I'm also considering taking off the intake noise maker. Basically I was going around the whole car looking for items I can take off to slowly lighten it. This is an area in which I want to make a thread. So far my thoughts on lightening the car are:

>remove superfluous exhaust tips.
>remove resonator/noise tube into the cabin
>get a much smaller and lighter battery
>new cat-back that is quiet and gets rid of the bulky muffler
The Following User Says Thank You to SkitterSkotter For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitterSkotter View Post
Well let me do a quick post here and I will elaborate on more points later when I'm not out driving the damn thing.

1. Power: To those of you who think this car lacks it or is slow, GTFO. This car has plenty of pep even when compared to the s2000. It is not difficult to break the rear tires on dry pavement below 4k rpm. Hell I even did a slight second gear drift last night. The car is actually is just so stable it hides its speed like an Acura NSX, I did about XXmph last night and it got there with such ease (think 6th @ 4k rpm).

2. Handling: Nothing really needs to be said here that has not been said. The mechanical grip is amazing though it is fun as hell to go beyond its limits as they just slowly morph into an elegant slide.

3. Interior: Once again, people need to calm the **** down about it. It's fantastic and I have not a single issue (though the speakers are not the best but that's a minor problem that I could care less about).

4. Looks: Well in hot lava it looks like a damn ferrari so I'm quite pleased. Actually part of me is thinking of getting some ferrari logos and throwing them on the car just to troll dumbasses.

5. Overall package 10/10. There is a reason why this car has won damn near every comparison and won top gear's car of the year award. I'm beyond happy with the car and so many of the issues that are discussed about it are so irreverent when you actually drive the car. Bench race it all you want, but it is essentially a usable Honda S2000 with much more room and is equal in so many ways. By the way, the limited slip is brilliant, it is so awesome when it kicks in.

More pictures to come...by the way, it gets great gas mileage too, without even trying (and driving hard) I'm currently at 30.1 mpg.
-----------------
First of all congrats on your new picked up. Hot lava & Red versions of this car is like one of a new mini Ferrari model out there !. The rest of your brief summary is spot on when you currently have S2000. People have no idea how this car drive & feel in real world driving ! The specs stats sheet number seem meaningless for this car . BTW, any comparable street car out there has a weighted direct steering feel and driving balance like this 86 ??? These are my favorites of this car.
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
SkitterSkotter

Also, I have some random questions for those of you who have FR-S.' Can you install regular prius tries on this car??? It looks like the ones that come stock on it are a bit wider than the rim. Second, did you notice any real difference when installing a k&N air filter? I'm thinking about doing that as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
SkitterSkotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
-----------------
First of all congrats on your new picked up. Hot lava & Red versions of this car is like one of a new mini Ferrari model out there !. The rest of your brief summary is spot on when you currently have S2000. People have no idea how this car drive & feel in real world driving ! The specs stats sheet number seem meaningless for this car . BTW, any comparable street car out there has a weighted direct steering feel and driving balance like this 86 ??? These are my favorites of this car.
Yeah, I mean for all intensive purposes this car is just as fast. The main differences in peak hp between the two is this: the S2000 revs up to 9,000rpm, if the FR-S's engine had that high of a redline it woud probably make similar power or only be down by about 20 or so. Second, the S2000 has a much higher rate of speed when the back end decides to slip, this car's limits are much lower (only due to the tires) and much more approachable. The steering and shifts feel essentially the same (even steering wheel size). Speaking of speed, I believe the S2000 has a 0-60 of around 5.8 and the FR-S is 6.2...really not that much slower, and in the real world that's the same time. Lastly, the FR-S is much more quiet, the Honda has the loudest flywheel in ever produced lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
lokvo
Pugilist

Drives: GT 86 - Hot Lava (AUS Spec)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! How's hot lava in the steel? I've never seen one in person.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Congratulations! Funny you mentioned it looking like a Ferrari, because this morning while I was reading through my Facebook wall, I saw one of Top Gear's posts about the new Berlinetta:

And thought it shared some similarities:

DSC_0010 by Gaiakai, on Flickr

Particularly around the quarter windows and a little bit on the taillights (without the chrome and transparent cover), and even going to the front fenders. It amused me.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
I never seen that F model, but both red look really hot. The future aftermarket body kits will kick the 86 to another level !
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
rwd_
Textbook Narcissist

Drives: GPW AP1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Soo Jelly..

I wish I could keep my S2000 and have the FR-S as well.

The hot lava does look stunning!