follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Sachmet43

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Replacing all 20 lug nuts. Will these be fine for track?

I'm finally sick of having to replace 1-2 wheel studs every time I take my wheels off to switch to track pads, so I'm going to make the switch to ARP racing studs all around.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/arp-...l#.W0OVWtJKhhE

I want to replace my lug nuts at the same time so I'm not messing up the new studs with beat up nuts.

I haven't done this before so I would love some advice.

https://www.amazon.com/20pc-Black-Bu...x1.25+lug+nuts

Am I correct to believe that these will work, even though they are a little longer than stuck nuts. Do you think they will stand up to track use?
Sachmet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #2
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
They will work. They should be reliable too since they are steel. Stay away from aluminum lug nuts as they are too soft.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Sachmet43

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
They will work. They should be reliable too since they are steel. Stay away from aluminum lug nuts as they are too soft.
Thanks
Sachmet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,362 Times in 8,669 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:

The aluminum lug nuts that came stock on my 911 have worked fine for 40+ years. Oh yea, and Porsche (and Lotus) recommend anti-seize. Go figure.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Teseo (07-10-2018), why? (07-11-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
The aluminum lug nuts that came stock on my 911 have worked fine for 40+ years. Oh yea, and Porsche (and Lotus) recommend anti-seize. Go figure.
aluminum lugnuts have their place. That place is not in the hands of someone who is asking if a regular steel lugnut will work on a forum. Generally aluminum lugnuts cause more problems than they really should but most people are not as diligent with maintenance with them as they should be.
Clipping_Path (07-10-2018), rvoll (07-09-2018), Summerwolf (07-10-2018), Tristor (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
Clipping_Path

Drives: 13 FRS – Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Stay away from aluminum lug nuts as they are too soft.
Boy did I learn that the hard way 2 months ago. Should have learned when I removed the previous owner's aluminum lugs. After 6 months of use 2/3 were completely stripped.

I replaced them with an expensive Mishimoto set. Torqued to spec, I noticed they needed retightened literally every week.

What I also didn't know was aluminum has a much lower modulus of elasticity, which means it will deform about 3 times as much as the same configuration in steel for any given load. With the radical temperature change moving from spring to summer I had 4 lugs and my entire wheel fall off pulling into a parking spot. All of the lugs were completely stripped due to the hot temperature change/expansion.

Luckily it didn't happen 90 sec earlier on the interstate – I could have killed someone.
Clipping_Path is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipping_Path For This Useful Post:
Tristor (07-11-2018), tyler_win_photo (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Impureclient
Banned

Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcone View Post
aluminum lugnuts have their place. That place is not in the hands of someone who is asking if a regular steel lugnut will work on a forum.
So this all begs the question, what place do aluminum lug nuts have? I've always have used steel in every vehicle I've owned so I never had any issues ever.
I didn't even know that having a lug nut strip so often was a thing until I started reading about it in these forums.
The aluminum fatigues, galls, fuses to studs, stretches and strips when you change on and off and they even just break when not touched from heat/cold changes.
It seems unless you like to gamble with your life and possibly others, only steel should be used and if weight savings is needed then titanium.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-11-2018), Tristor (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Clipping_Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
So this all begs the question, what place do aluminum lug nuts have?
On the track where they're changed at every stop.

That's what galls me when they say "well Ferrari has been using them on every track car for 38yrs so they're good enough for me blah blah"

A daily driver with the continual stress and temperature changes it would encounter is a disaster waiting to happen with aluminum lugs.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,475 Times in 6,175 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Not all aluminums (the material) are made the same. Same goes for steel, or any other material.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
why? (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
All the people here saying aluminium lugnuts are the problem, Im either really lucky, or I know a thing or two you guys dont, because after 35+ track days, taken off and putting on wheels several times each day, I havent stripped a single stud, and have had only a coupld of lugnuts stripped (which go on the trash can and you just put a new one in... woah such danger...).

All I see here is people who cant put in a lugnut without stripping it blaming it on the parts themselfs. Or how we say in my field, User Error.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
Clipping_Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
All I see here is people who cant put in a lugnut without stripping it blaming it on the parts themselfs. Or how we say in my field, User Error.
It's not removing/installing the lugs that strips them. It's the metal expansion/contraction of aluminum eroding on the harder steel stud over time due to temperature shifts that strips them. A day at the track is fine.

Previous owner of mine was probably 1-2 months away from a major accident. His aluminum lugs were "on" but you could loosen half of them with your fingers because most of the threads had been worn away.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
Impureclient
Banned

Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
All the people here saying aluminium lugnuts are the problem, Im either really lucky, or I know a thing or two you guys dont, because after 35+ track days, taken off and putting on wheels several times each day, I havent stripped a single stud, and have had only a coupld of lugnuts stripped (which go on the trash can and you just put a new one in... woah such danger...). All I see here is people who cant put in a lugnut without stripping it blaming it on the parts themselfs. Or how we say in my field, User Error.
Does not compute!!
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipping_Path View Post
It's not removing/installing the lugs that strips them. It's the metal expansion/contraction of aluminum eroding on the harder steel stud over time due to temperature shifts that strips them. A day at the track is fine.

Previous owner of mine was probably 1-2 months away from a major accident. His aluminum lugs were "on" but you could loosen half of them with your fingers because most of the threads had been worn away.
Maybe because I take mine off so often it doesnt have time to corrode and this only happens to people that change their wheels once or twice a year?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #14
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Does not compute!!
Realizing one of your lugnuts is stripped when taking it off or putting it on and throwing it in the trash can? What part of that is hard to compute? Do you think maybe that lugnuts do not have wear and tear and that one set will outlive the entire car?