follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OEM Brembo Brake package worth it for me?

I'm really digging on information comparing the standard 2017 BRZ limited and the one wit the performance package that comes with the Brembos.

Brembos are good stoppers but from what little I know, they cost a whole lot more to replace the pads and rotors compared to just the standard. Is this the case with the BRZ?

I don't track any of my cars and I don't intend to track the BRZ. Maybe a little bit of aggressive road driving but no track use. Is the performance package worth it for me? maybe they live longer in road use and therefore offset the replacement cost? or the replacement cost isn't that significant to begin with? or am I just throwing away money on some fancy red caliper brakes?

I tried to dig this information out but at least to my best, it's not that apparent.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The option is a good value. If you don't track or drive like an idiot on the street, it's just extra unsprung/rotating weight.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
The Brembos aren't all you get with the performance package. The Sachs dampers ride much nicer than the stock suspension. For me, they're the perfect blend of more body control and performance, without sacrificing overall ride comfort.

And pads for the Brembos aren't that expensive. Winmax W1 or W2 pads are about $225-250 total.

Plus I think the PP 7.5" wheels are an advantage, too - easier to run a slightly wider tire once your stock tires wear out.

For $1000-1200 extra, it's a no brainer to get the PP.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TofuJoe For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Are the Brembos alone worth it if you're not taking the car to the track? Probably not. But those along with the Sachs shocks make for a noticeably better ride even on the street.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
... and when you finally upgrade to some AP Racing Sprint kit on the front, you can sell the front system to someone else AND still have some bangin' rear monoblock calipers.

Just note you are going to have to consider wheels (if that is interesting to you) with an offset that would clear the calipers.

I think that is how the kids nowadays would say it, anyway.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
to most people they are worth it primarily on looks. They look great, especially compared to the standard brakes. However if you're not an enthusiast, you wouldn't notice
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg View Post
to most people they are worth it primarily on looks. They look great, especially compared to the standard brakes. However if you're not an enthusiast, you wouldn't notice

Sooooo, I just went ahead and called my local Subaru dealer and asked directly about the replacement pads and rotors and as I expected, the Brembos are $$$$

What I got quoted was:

Front pads: 320$ Vs. 91$
read pads: 259$ Vs. 103$
Rotors: 418$ Vs. 140$

I also asked if the Brembos last longer and was told they don't, you're just paying for the extra performance upgrade. No cost leveling by life longevity there either.

As far as I know, Brembos are great for track work and I don't do that nearly often enough. The upgraded suspension is nice but I don't think I'll take them if they come with the Brembos.
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
dowroa
Old Guy

Sure. That would be the right value call for you.

Good foot work.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
I'm really digging on information comparing the standard 2017 BRZ limited and the one wit the performance package that comes with the Brembos.

Brembos are good stoppers but from what little I know, they cost a whole lot more to replace the pads and rotors compared to just the standard. Is this the case with the BRZ?

I don't track any of my cars and I don't intend to track the BRZ. Maybe a little bit of aggressive road driving but no track use. Is the performance package worth it for me? maybe they live longer in road use and therefore offset the replacement cost? or the replacement cost isn't that significant to begin with? or am I just throwing away money on some fancy red caliper brakes?

I tried to dig this information out but at least to my best, it's not that apparent.
If resale is part of anything, the performance pack is definitely going to be worth more. It's a minor cost difference and if it was offered when I got my car I would have jumped on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
The option is a good value. If you don't track or drive like an idiot on the street, it's just extra unsprung/rotating weight.
The Brembos might possibly be LIGHTER than the normal brakes. Aluminum caliper vs cast iron. Depends entirely on the weight of the rotor in that case, but I'm betting the difference is minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuJoe View Post
For $1000-1200 extra, it's a no brainer to get the PP.
A million times this.

Quote:

Sooooo, I just went ahead and called my local Subaru dealer and asked directly about the replacement pads and rotors and as I expected, the Brembos are $$$$

What I got quoted was:

Front pads: 320$ Vs. 91$
read pads: 259$ Vs. 103$
Rotors: 418$ Vs. 140$

I also asked if the Brembos last longer and was told they don't, you're just paying for the extra performance upgrade. No cost leveling by life longevity there either.

As far as I know, Brembos are great for track work and I don't do that nearly often enough. The upgraded suspension is nice but I don't think I'll take them if they come with the Brembos.
Nobody buys brakes from a dealer, and the cost is going to be high as they're new. In 2013 I bet the stock brakes were that expensive. Brembo consumables in general are cheap.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
The Brembos might possibly be LIGHTER than the normal brakes. Aluminum caliper vs cast iron. Depends entirely on the weight of the rotor in that case, but I'm betting the difference is minor.
The PP option adds 20 lbs of weight per specs, and ~4 of that is in the wheels so...
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #11
TofuJoe
Ohne Titel

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP ISM
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
@rennlistuser3 - please don’t buy pads at the dealer for those mildly astronomical prices.

I just bought Ferodo DS2500 pads for $360 total for the Brembos. Woulda bought Winmax W3 for $300 total, but they were out of stock. W2 or W1 are more like $225 total.
TofuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TofuJoe For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (11-03-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Brembo consumables in general are cheap.

Hmmmm, you make an interesting point here...

Are you saying both the pads and the rotors are cheap from third party away from the dealer?

And are these 3rd party parts as good as the OEM? last as long? just as reliable? and all?
Old 10-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
Hmmmm, you make an interesting point here...

Are you saying both the pads and the rotors are cheap from third party away from the dealer?

And are these 3rd party parts as good as the OEM? last as long? just as reliable? and all?
Yes, if not better.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #14
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I'm not gonna tell you to not get that performance pack because I think it's very cool if you can afford it. Those brembos on that pack fit so snugly near the rim, saw one at the last meet and seriously millimeters clearance between the brembos and the rim. So if you plan on getting different wheels then expect to put on spacers to allow it to fit over those brembos.

I do a good amount of spirited driving and I'm on a stock frs from 2013. I'm at 70k and still on my original brakes. The stock brakes perform quite well for street. I think the brembos would only show their value in auto cross or the track.

So based on that logic buy the performance pack because race car. ;p
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-30-2017), Willpower (12-20-2020)