follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0

I haven't seen a thread on this. Anyone seen this bad boy? 500hp from a flat six 4 liter NA!! 125hp/L! Phenomenal! Dear I say if I had the money I would pick this over an LFA? I lust I lust I lust. I want!

[u2b]RXHNJGf3A5k[/u2b]

tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
tranzformer

Really no love on here for Porsche? You guys suck.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I WANT, I WANT SO M'F'N BADLY!!!!!!!!!
it'll be an intense internal debate for me between this and an LFA
911 is my ultimate car i WILL own one!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
"Thats a billion dollar question, but its as close to a race car as a street legal car can get. And thats a serious message"

As Jeremy Clarkson would say, "you've got scaffolding in the back"

As ridiculous as it is, I love it. That sound, the look. Its brilliant!
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
Franisco

Drives: D31a
I'd sell a child for one
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
tranzformer

Happy to see a few of you finally come out of the wood work. . This car is basically as close as you can get to a street legal GT3 RSR. Just wish I could afford a car like this.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
As much as I LOVE 911s, no way I'd pick one over an LFA. Quite special, but at the end of the day, it's "just another 911". That being said, I'd love to have both this and a GT2 RS to accompany an LFA in my garage.

**sigh** what life would be like if I had the dosh to worry abut these kinds of choices.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
I WANT, I WANT SO M'F'N BADLY!!!!!!!!!
it'll be an intense internal debate for me between this and an LFA
911 is my ultimate car i WILL own one!
There's only one cure and that is to buy one and get it out of your system like I did. Drive it for awhile. Sell it hoping not to take too big a loss and then get on with your life. I still admire them but they don't turn my head any more every time I see one.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
As much as I LOVE 911s, no way I'd pick one over an LFA. Quite special, but at the end of the day, it's "just another 911". That being said, I'd love to have both this and a GT2 RS to accompany an LFA in my garage.

**sigh** what life would be like if I had the dosh to worry abut these kinds of choices.
Same argument for the LFA. As Topgear said, at the end of the day it is just a Lexus. If I am spending $400k I might as well look at Ferrari/Lambo. LFA might be a great piece of engineering, but still not that great bang for buck.

Guess which car this is?

Car A:
620hp
516lb-ft
0-62= 3.5sec
0-124= 9.8sec
0-186= 28.9sec
1/4 mile=11.0sec
Top speed= 205mph
Weight=3075lbs
Power to weight= 4.9lb per hp
Nurburgring time= 7min 18sec
Price= $245k

Car B:
552hp
354lb-ft
0-60= 3.6sec
0-120= 10.8sec
1/4 mile= 11.7sec
Top speed=203mph
Weight= 3263lbs
Power to weight= 5.9lb per hp
Nurburgring time= 7min 38sec
Price= $375k

So guess which car is car A? So you would rather buy the car with less power, that is heavier, with a worse power to weight ratio, that is slower and costs more? Ok. Give me $400k to play with for a car and I would take the Porsche hands down and get a daily driver like an M5. Best of both worlds with money left over to put into the cars. The GT2 RS isn't just "another" 911, it has more in common with a race car than it does with a normal 911. After all the money and time Lexus spent in the LFA to get it light, it is still 200lbs heavier than the RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
There's only one cure and that is to buy one and get it out of your system like I did. Drive it for awhile. Sell it hoping not to take too big a loss and then get on with your life. I still admire them but they don't turn my head any more every time I see one.
Sure maybe a typical 911. Try driving the "Widow-maker" and I bet you would have a different opinion. Not sure how you could compare an RS to a regular 911. Which 911 did you own btw?

Last edited by tranzformer; 05-01-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
i have a deep respect for porsches... amazing machines and amazing quality
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Same argument for the LFA. As Topgear said, at the end of the day it is just a Lexus.blah blah blah
You can twist it however you like. No disrespect to Porsche. Love them to bits, they are my 2nd fav sports car manufacturer. Love the 911. But at the end of the day, there are countless 911s on the road, there will only be 500 LFAs, ever. Totally bespoke from the ground up. And that sound. Can't see myself having to chose between the two and choosing the GT3.

Ideally for me they'd sit next to each other, but hey to each his own

I'm not arguing about bang for buck, or hp/dollar, because be that the case, I'd say fuck it and buy a viper acr.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
But at the end of the day, there are countless 911s on the road, there will only be 500 LFAs, ever. Totally bespoke from the ground up. And that sound. Can't see myself having to chose between the two and choosing the GT3.

Ideally for me they'd sit next to each other, but hey to each his own

I'm not arguing about bang for buck, or hp/dollar, because be that the case, I'd say fuck it and buy a viper acr.

The GT2 RS is also a limited run. Guess what, also only 500 world wide with ~125 of those coming stateside. Just as limited run as the LFA. I believe the new GT3 RS 4.0 is also limited to 500 worldwide. Go ahead and say it is just another 911 that is tweaked. But really it is much more than that. The amount of engineering and attention to detail that Andreas Preuninger and the rest at Porsche put into these two cars is amazing.

If I had to choose between the LFA and Porsche, I would go with the Porsche hands down and use the rest of the money to put into the car or to get a DD. I love the LFA as well, I just think the Porsche would fit what I would want out of a car better than the LFA could. But I respect your opinion regarding the LFA as it is a great car. Just don't think it is better than the GT2 RS or new GT3 RS. Only thing is that the LFA is more expensive.

Regarding the Viper ACR, also a great car but wasn't that discontinued several years back? Not really valid in this conversation. But if you were considering a used car then yes, the ACR would have to be thrown in there for best bang for the buck out of a supercar.

Regarding the sound, the GT2 RS and GT3 RS both sound amazing if you like that boxer engine sound. Throw a Akrapovic exhaust on one of those and I would be in heaven. The LFA does have the benefit of that high revving V10. Guess in the end we can both agree the LFA and the new RS Porsches are amazing cars. I wouldn't turn down a free one.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If I had a 188K I'd buy one! You'll get some nice tail too!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
Snaps
Supra Owner

Drives: 1995 Toyota Supra UK Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
The GT2 RS is also a limited run. Guess what, also only 500 world wide with ~125 of those coming stateside. Just as limited run as the LFA. I believe the new GT3 RS 4.0 is also limited to 500 worldwide. Go ahead and say it is just another 911 that is tweaked. But really it is much more than that. The amount of engineering and attention to detail that Andreas Preuninger and the rest at Porsche put into these two cars is amazing.

If I had to choose between the LFA and Porsche, I would go with the Porsche hands down and use the rest of the money to put into the car or to get a DD. I love the LFA as well, I just think the Porsche would fit what I would want out of a car better than the LFA could. But I respect your opinion regarding the LFA as it is a great car. Just don't think it is better than the GT2 RS or new GT3 RS. Only thing is that the LFA is more expensive.

Regarding the Viper ACR, also a great car but wasn't that discontinued several years back? Not really valid in this conversation. But if you were considering a used car then yes, the ACR would have to be thrown in there for best bang for the buck out of a supercar.

Regarding the sound, the GT2 RS and GT3 RS both sound amazing if you like that boxer engine sound. Throw a Akrapovic exhaust on one of those and I would be in heaven. The LFA does have the benefit of that high revving V10. Guess in the end we can both agree the LFA and the new RS Porsches are amazing cars. I wouldn't turn down a free one.
If I had the money to even consider buying a car that expensive, I'd also pick the LFA. Regardless of what anyone says, the Porsche will still look like a 911. The LFA will not. The Porsche will still sound similar to a 911. The LFA will not sound similar to any other Lexus. The Porsche has next to no interior, the LFA has the interior of a Lexus.

A battle between these two cars is not something done with numbers alone. It's done with every aspect of the car, be it feel, interior, looks, etc., and while a lot of it is subjective, that is just the point, one of these cars will appeal to someone more than the other, and the LFA is the one that appeals to me the most. If you're someone that couldn't care less about the things the LFA offers over the Porsche, then you're probably one of the people that would choose the Porsche, without a doubt.