follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #1
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
People with intakes...

Hi all,

I’m looking to change out the intake out on my car. Primarily for the noise I like the idea of one of the boxed systems like the grimmspeed/mishimoto performance etc, however I’ve not really found anything concrete on how each specific kit actually sounds from inside the car. So my question to those with intakes fitted, how quiet/loud are these type of intake kits? Whats your experience with them? I don’t want to spend the cash if I find I can’t hear it from the cabin. I understand that the CAI kits which sit out by the front bumper (like the Perirn) are gonna be the loudest, but having to remove the bumper to install and service these style of filters is a right PITA so im trying to avoid going that route.
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
FujiwaraTofu86

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
with alot of after market intakes you might have to get a tune or else it will throw a CEL.

I would recommend a drop in filter (K&N) with the oem intake (most people run this set up for our platform.)

You still get intake noise and avoid the CEL and useless spending on $400 bucks for an aftermarket piece.

BUT if you have a loud exhaust, im pretty sure you wont hear it anyway hahaha...unless you're outside of the car and standing near the front of the car
FujiwaraTofu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
Varelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiwaraTofu86 View Post
with alot of after market intakes you might have to get a tune or else it will throw a CEL.

I would recommend a drop in filter (K&N) with the oem intake (most people run this set up for our platform.)

You still get intake noise and avoid the CEL and useless spending on $400 bucks for an aftermarket piece.

BUT if you have a loud exhaust, im pretty sure you wont hear it anyway hahaha...unless you're outside of the car and standing near the front of the car
I already have a cosworth panel filter and zeta silicone hose, a good combo but its dead quiet. I feel pretty safe using something like the grimmspeed set up for example, as the MAF is pretty much where it is on stock so rescaling isn't necessary. A remap to optimise any changes will will come at a later date anyway.

I have a perrin resonated cat back and a a dual resonated front pipe so my exhaust is pretty tame
Old 12-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The Takeda is probably a good option for this, bigger cone filter et al.

There's one for sale on the DC too.....

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
The Takeda is probably a good option for this, bigger cone filter et al.

There's one for sale on the DC too.....
That intake 100% requires a MAF scale, as it had about the wackiest AFRs I've seen in a while:

The red being the stock baseline. Notice it's super rich down low, and then swings way too lean up top? Not the best recommendation for someone trying to avoid CELs and lean conditions.

Varelco, it looks like you've done your research, and I would encourage you to spend at least a little time in this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50492

AS far as your original inquiry about noise from someone who has driven all of these intake combinations: It does add a good bit of intake noise compared to a drop in filter/silicone tube combo. It's not super dramatic, but you will notice it. There is a big difference in induction noise when resonating through a metal airbox compared to a plastic airbox. I would encourage others to chime in with their experience though too, to get some more opinions.

The biggest change in induction sound that I observed though was from the cam timing changes from the OFT tune. That sound is especially amplified through the intake, and is a big difference between the stock airbox and our airbox.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #6
golfyankee2121
Always Moving Forward

Drives: 2013 Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I run the Grimmspeed Intake and noticed a little bit more induction noise than with the stock air box. It's really easy to install too.

With that being said, I am Stage 2 now with UEL header and a muffler delete, so I don't really hear anything except my exhaust note lol

-J.B.
golfyankee2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Chiming in

I have the Injen short ram intake and while I notice it sometimes, I don't think it was worth it overall. If I could go back, I would've stuck with a different inlet hose to get rid of the resonator and use a drop-in filter. After a bit, the small amount of induction noise you can hear you become numb to
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I picked up a K&N Typhoon intake for cheap, great quality and easy install. The induction sound is amazing, deep and throaty and masks the Borla exhaust sounds. Totally worth the 5 hp loss.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Grimmspeed intake here. I have a full headerback but on the quieter side (Tomei UEL, Motiv OP, Berk HFC fp, and Miltek resonated catback) running OFT tune

I can really only hear it when the cam timing changes like Grimmspeed said. Its a nice sound imo. Between that and cleaning up the engine bay it's worth it imo

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I had a WeaponR for a while and the change in sound was noticeable across the power band. People sometimes think it's a sucking intake sound, but that sound you can only hear if you have the hood open and you're on top of it. On the street, it's the sound of the internals (I don't know which ones!) that you hear clacking away (in a good way).

When I tuned with OFT, the change in sound was also very pronounced esp. in the middle of the power band where the torque dip is. That intake had no airbox either (well not much of one) so it was pretty loud.

I have a K&N drop in and silicone elbow now- much less sound, but still more than stock. I have no clue about how much power is gained with this set up, I only have to go with what I've read on here which is a gain of about 2-3% or so.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
An intake will give you hp if you put a stage 1 tune on the car, but it won't do shit once you go stage 2 with headers as the engine will be breathing plenty and there will be no difference between the stock intake and aftermarket intake in terms of hp gains.

If you want sound, I'd just get a high flow panel filter, aftermarket intake pipe, as well as a TRD or STI sound changer since your main goal seems to be sound here.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,977 Times in 16,481 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you just want more engine sound in the cabin, I suggest you either supercharge the sound tube or install dual sound tubes .......WHAT!

OK, I'll go take a nap ........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #13
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I can't hear my Grimmspeed over the exhaust... Or the tire noise, which sometimes drowns out the exhaust (RE-71R on the highway... I assume some of the bushing inserts I have contribute to this being louder)

If you're not customizing the tune, I'd only look at the GS, or stick with the drop in filter.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-19-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #14
Varelco

Ok so the general consensus is that the sound change it subtle, was kind of hoping it would be a bit more than that but I suppose if they are enclosed within a box your only going to get so much. I would stick with the sound tube but it sounds too artificial to me, whether your giving it 50% or 100% throttle it sounds the same.