follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
ARQ-VTEC

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Detonation issue when throttle blip or gear shifting

Hi, my name is Gustavo, i'm an architect from Chile, nice to meet all of you!!

From one day to another, my car start to do the same noise as the video posted here in the forum from other user some years ago .... that other brz/frs have listened in their cars.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44851

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vMa_CDXROYI[/ame]

I searched on the web and i dont find any answer. On the topic link before, anyone solved the issue, that why i created a new topic.

My dealer cant reproduce the issue (is so easy to do that when the car is hot, blipping the throttle in neutral when the car is moving or even sometime when shift gear, but when the car is no moving, there is no sound and all is ok). The sound really piss me off, my BRZ is only 8000 miles, without mods, i have been very carefull with the car, never track day or anything like that.

Here in Chile the BRZ is not a cheap car, i was really in love about all of that de BRZ represent and i traded my beloved Civic SI 2010 for the Subbie, but in this moment i'm really heartbroken.

Did you solved the issue with your car??

If you do, please help me

I use 98 ron, new synthetic oil (5w-30) and new intake filter (oem) last week (desler service). I think that there is a vtc problem traying to adjust the timing (the rare thing is that the "cracking" issue happen only whenyou blip the car when is moving, in neutral, when shifting or when you give a fast gas blip in 5th o 6th (maybe happen on the other gears to), but no CEL or even a code in memory.

Thank!!!

Last edited by ARQ-VTEC; 02-04-2016 at 07:40 PM.
ARQ-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Backfire issue. If you over rev it always does that. The tshht turbo/sc sound is just WOT.

If you really want us to share what we think is wrong... i'd say it could be due to :

1) you're running rich issue
2) Carb issue
3) Gasket issue
4) Spark plug issue

El sonido que hace que suena como turbo es acelerador que habre la valvula de aire o el platillo de aire "intake" de el motor.

Ahora, el sonido que truena es porque tu motor esta absorbiendo demasiado aire/gas y no lo puede quemar. Tambien podria ser tu convertidor de smog o el filtro que esta dentro de tu exhaust.

Mi carro tambien lo hace de vez en cuando. Tiene todo lo del dealer 'stock' sin que le haiga metido mano o de TRD del dealer.

Limpia el sensor de MAF. Es normal en mi carro. No te preocupes a menos que tengas un leak en el manifold/exhaust. Podria ser que necitas un gasket.

Hey guys, is there a gasket that connects our exhaust manifold to our exhaust? I havent checked for that.

Friend says to: check O2 sensor and test fuel pressure.

P.S. video sound of intake doesnt sound like stock intake.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
ARQ-VTEC

Thanks for your reply, Packofcrows!!

I have some questions:

Really a dirty maf can make my car "cracking" noise (detonation) when blipping in neutral or downshifting? I will clean it tomorrow and see what happen.

The car of the video is a supercharged one, my is absolutly standar and only 8000 miles. Its a 7000 rpm car engine design, and i have reached that peak very often on overtaking or fast acelerations, like with my former dohc-vtec Honda (never an issue with it, excelent car).... But with a really good care.

I agree that this engine is full of noises, almost normal in a boxer layout (this is my 4th subbie, all NA), but knocking on blipping throttle is to much for me in a new car (expensive one in my country).... That why i'm pretty sad.

Saludos!!!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
2) Carb issue
Do we have carbs? or do you mean a Carb tune?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-02-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARQ-VTEC View Post
Thanks for your reply, Packofcrows!!

I have some questions:

Really a dirty maf can make my car "cracking" noise (detonation) when blipping in neutral or downshifting? I will clean it tomorrow and see what happen.

The car of the video is a supercharged one, my is absolutly standar and only 8000 miles. Its a 7000 rpm car engine design, and i have reached that peak very often on overtaking or fast acelerations, like with my former dohc-vtec Honda (never an issue with it, excelent car).... But with a really good care.

I agree that this engine is full of noises, almost normal in a boxer layout (this is my 4th subbie, all NA), but knocking on blipping throttle is to much for me in a new car (expensive one in my country).... That why i'm pretty sad.

Saludos!!!

When you clean make sure you use the appropriate cleaner like CRC maf and throttle body cleaner.

Also I really hope it's not the DI popping issue:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFa2IvNs9g"]Frs popping noise when given throttle free revving or cruising, rolling on throttle to pass. - YouTube[/ame]

That happened in the past when I first started on the forum when people had to replace the seals under warranty which to do yourself is pretty invasive:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdeO4rBwuQ4"]Scion FR-S BRZ Direct Injector Seal Replacement | Problems and Issues - YouTube[/ame]

It also would apparently get exacerbated by forced induction which is sounds like you have a supercharger.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 02-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Do we have carbs? or do you mean a Carb tune?
Not sure what I even meant with that.... I think I meant catalytic converter.... urgh lol i'm tired

Quote:
It also would apparently get exacerbated by forced induction which is sounds like you have a supercharger.
I think its just wot.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Not sure what I even meant with that.... I think I meant catalytic converter.... urgh lol i'm tired

I think its just wot.
No biggie, just curious. I'm leaning personally towards it being DI popping or something because that happened on throttle as well hopefully it's not
Old 02-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #8
ARQ-VTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
When you clean make sure you use the appropriate cleaner like CRC maf and throttle body cleaner.

Also I really hope it's not the DI popping issue:

That happened in the past when I first started on the forum when people had to replace the seals under warranty which to do yourself is pretty invasive:

Thanks for your reply!!!

Is not the DI, not sound like the video that you post me..... it sound exactly like the first video in the intro of the topic in the same condition of testing (car in movement, neutral and throttle blip)....0:04 in the video.... And when the car is no moving, there is no sound of knocking or cracking even in hard thottle blipping, and that is the really rare thing: knock when moving, no knock when no moving, that why i think is a sensor or electronic issue (related with the speed sensor or vss lecture).

Saludos!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ARQ-VTEC For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARQ-VTEC View Post
Thanks for your reply!!!

Is not the DI, not sound like the video that you post me..... it sound exactly like the first video in the intro of the topic in the same condition of testing (car in movement, neutral and throttle blip)....0:04 in the video.... And when the car is no moving, there is no sound of knocking or cracking even in hard thottle blipping, and that is the really rare thing: knock when moving, no knock when no moving.

Saludos!!!

OK that clears it up good luck finding the issue!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 AM   #10
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
How old is car what year model would you know the ECU calibration id like ZA1JA00G or similar

if your car is early calibration id their was errer in ecu with transient ignition retard causing knock.

If you have octane booster available try that and see if noise goes away this will confim it detonation or knock

we have rubbish petrol here and on stock tune car can knock or ping quite badly especially on hot day

knock will sound like metallic rattle bit like stones in a tin can or rattling a bunch of keys
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
roddy (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #11
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Backfire issue. If you over rev it always does that. The tshht turbo/sc sound is just WOT.

If you really want us to share what we think is wrong... i'd say it could be due to :

1) you're running rich issue
2) Carb issue
3) Gasket issue
4) Spark plug issue

El sonido que hace que suena como turbo es acelerador que habre la valvula de aire o el platillo de aire "intake" de el motor.

Ahora, el sonido que truena es porque tu motor esta absorbiendo demasiado aire/gas y no lo puede quemar. Tambien podria ser tu convertidor de smog o el filtro que esta dentro de tu exhaust.

Mi carro tambien lo hace de vez en cuando. Tiene todo lo del dealer 'stock' sin que le haiga metido mano o de TRD del dealer.

Limpia el sensor de MAF. Es normal en mi carro. No te preocupes a menos que tengas un leak en el manifold/exhaust. Podria ser que necitas un gasket.

Hey guys, is there a gasket that connects our exhaust manifold to our exhaust? I havent checked for that.

Friend says to: check O2 sensor and test fuel pressure.

P.S. video sound of intake doesnt sound like stock intake.
Indeed, there are a few gaskets.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53135
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #12
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I know that the engine is able to run up to 7k rpm but do you really need to bounce it off the limiters? The hp and torque curves cross at about 5300rpm, everything after that is kind of unnecessary because you're not getting much benefit but you are adding undue wear to internal parts (like the garbage tob in these trannys.) I'm not saying that I don't end up into the low 6's occasionally but I can feel the benefits falling off by the time it gets there.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
JB86'd

Drives: JAWS
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I know that the engine is able to run up to 7k rpm but do you really need to bounce it off the limiters? The hp and torque curves cross at about 5300rpm, everything after that is kind of unnecessary because you're not getting much benefit but you are adding undue wear to internal parts (like the garbage tob in these trannys.) I'm not saying that I don't end up into the low 6's occasionally but I can feel the benefits falling off by the time it gets there.

wut
Old 02-05-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB86'd View Post
wut
My sentiment exactly wut?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-02-2016), JB86'd (02-05-2016)