follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
SilverlightPony

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ, '06 Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Pondering audio upgrade options; have questions, want recommendations

So, I just got my BRZ a couple of days ago, and the more I drive it, the more I like it.

The one thing I wish was better is the stock audio system. Most of its flaws have been listed several times over in other threads, so I won't go into detail here, but overall the system is mediocre at best.

I've seen several threads talking about the OEM Audio Plus upgrade kits, which look rather nice and have stellar reviews, but I'm also significantly less than thrilled with the stock head unit--I play music primarily from playlists on a USB drive, but this HU doesn't support playlists; there's really no excuse for this oversight--and am strongly considering replacing it as well.

Everyone's got their preferences and brand loyalties, and mine lie with Kenwood. All my aftermarket HUs have been Kenwood units, and I've always had good experiences with their quality. I've got a single-DIN unit in my 4Runner that works like a charm. For the BRZ, I'm thinking of getting either the DNN770HD or the DNN990HD.

First, a question: Would the OEM Audio Plus upgrade kits work with these units, and how easy or hard would it be to get them to play nice with each other?

Second, recommendations: Do any of you have another HU (preferably the same size as the stock one) you really, really like, and think I should get instead of the Kenwood units? I will at least look at and consider anything you guys rant'n'rave about. :P
SilverlightPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a avh-x5600bhs. The auto tune does wonders, and the xm will jump between songs it remembers and when you change channels it automatically puts the time marker at the beginning of a song
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Check my signature...Awesome HU, no regrets
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I have a avh-x5600bhs. The auto tune does wonders, and the xm will jump between songs it remembers and when you change channels it automatically puts the time marker at the beginning of a song
Again, 99% of the music I play is from a USB drive. Bluetooth and an Aux jack are secondary concerns; everything else is tertiary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
Check my signature...Awesome HU, no regrets
Pioneer's a good brand, but I'm still a Kenwood guy. :P
Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
tiz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Raven) MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
Pioneer's a good brand, but I'm still a Kenwood guy. :P
For what reason? haha
tiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Subarus have always been lacking in audio quality. They are not luxury vehicles, but focused more on performance. That is why we buy them. We expect a basic radio b/c of needs, but the focus was on the other stuff. That's why they also have not had the "ultra-integrated radio with HVAC, etc." crap which locks you into a more-than-likely-substandard interface and hardware. It also allows the more audio-conscious to pick their own upgrades, and allows those who don't give a crap to not have to pay for audio accessories in the price that they'd otherwise be paying for.

Welcome to aftermarket options . You're welcome .

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The new Pioneer NEX navs are amazing. Easy to use and very reliable stuff from Pioneer. I have the AVIC-6000NEX but sell and install all 4 models and they are awesome. Like you said everyone has brand loyalty and mine is obviously to Pioneer, but they really do make a better product. Especially with these new NEX navs. Plus they will be supporting Apple carplay sometime this summer which is nice.

Dont let the fact that you have only had kenwood in the past restrict you to their product. Go to a local shop that has the Pioneers on display and give them a try.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flat Black VW For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Can't help you with Kenwood. They screwed me twenty years ago over defective product and I haven't looked at them since. Yes, I hold a grudge. It's the Italian in me.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
SilverlightPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz22 View Post
For what reason? haha
Like I said, I've had very good experiences with their stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
Plus they will be supporting Apple carplay sometime this summer which is nice.
Eew, Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
Can't help you with Kenwood. They screwed me twenty years ago over defective product and I haven't looked at them since. Yes, I hold a grudge. It's the Italian in me.
That's certainly your prerogative.

I did actually swing by a local shop today, but the discussion mainly focused on the OEM Audo Plus kit vs. some JL Audio speakers the guy there recommended. Anyone wanna chime in on this subject?
Old 05-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #10
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
If you want to just add to the stock system then the OEM+ kit is probably the way to go. Otherwise, pick and choose your components and build a system. I had some Diamond Audio components, Alpine 4" speakers and a JL Audio 10W0 sub from my WRX that fit the BRZ so I decided to just get a new amp and HU. I've been an Alpine HU guy for a long time, but decided to try out the Pioneer 8000NEX this time around. Went with a JL Audio 900/5 amp as well. Just finished up the wiring harness today and am waiting on some additional parts before I do the install.

If I didn't have the DA speakers, I probably would have gone with HAT or JL Audio C5 speakers. The nice thing about the OEM+ setup is that you just install it and the DSP is already programmed. If you DIY then you'll have to set everything up yourself.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #11
SilverlightPony

I wouldn't mind piecing a speaker system together, but if I'm gonna have a sub (which I'm iffy on the necessity of), I want that OEM+ sub unit.

So, two new questions:

1.) For someone who's definitely not a bass-head, but just wants balanced, clean, crisp sound, how important is it, really, to have a subwoofer?

2.) The OEM+ kit is intended to work with the stock HU; would there be any issues with combining the OEM+ kit with a Kenwood or other brand of aftermarket HU?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 AM   #12
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Kenwood DNN990HD it's fantastic. For rear bass two Focal P21V2 subs in integrity concepts enclosures IMO fantastic enclosures. For fronts Focal 3 ways and hertz amp etc... Very balanced. I'm not sure what your budget all up if truthfully but Audison/Hertz/Focal for speakers and subs IMO can't be beat for clarity. Same with power products....
Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverlightPony View Post
I wouldn't mind piecing a speaker system together, but if I'm gonna have a sub (which I'm iffy on the necessity of), I want that OEM+ sub unit.

So, two new questions:

1.) For someone who's definitely not a bass-head, but just wants balanced, clean, crisp sound, how important is it, really, to have a subwoofer?

2.) The OEM+ kit is intended to work with the stock HU; would there be any issues with combining the OEM+ kit with a Kenwood or other brand of aftermarket HU?
Don't have to be a bass head to benefit from a sub. A good 10" sub will provide tight bass and none of the boominess you may associate with them. The sub adds depth to your music that just speakers can never replicate alone.

I know the OEM+ dsp can be programmed for other hu's so you should probably ask them before making any purchases just to be sure.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #14
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
do pioneer's support playlists? because i seriously want to use that feature if it's available....