follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 PM   #3529
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith View Post
I'm referring to the rubber strips that fit in the grooves on top of the laminova core
We did not get rubber strips, interesting our manual does not mention anything of this either.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #3530
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Not sure if this helps or not, but for the guys who have experienced coil pack failure, there's a guy on ebay parting out a BRZ/FR-S and is selling coil packs for $30 a piece

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCION-FR-S-I...387113&vxp=mtr
normancw (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #3531
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
You apply silicone to the 4 posts to prevent them from damaging the core. I've heard issues of the cooler cracking due to banging on the posts.
I'm not talking about the 4 posts, those are fine. i'm talking about the rubber strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86
We did not get rubber strips, interesting our manual does not mention anything of this either.
the screenshot i posted above showing and mentioning the rubber strips was actually out of the Sprintex install manual (although the innovate manual has the same), not sure why you wouldn't have received them.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #3532
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area86 View Post
I got a weird burning smell coming through my vents and my battery light was randomly flickering on my dash so I took a look and this is what I found.

Anyone else have any issues with the alternator? My alternator still seems to be working ok so I'm thinking I just need a new insulator terminal and not a new alternator. Have no idea what would cause this but could this have led to my coil pack failure?
A similar thing happened to me... not quite that bad, though. The nut that holds the cable to the alternator was loose... it was the one nut/bolt that I forgot to tighten (I hope!) when I installed my kit. Because it was loose, it was causing sparking and started to melt the boot. My tuner caught the mistake before any real damage happened.
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #3533
kombatlion
Life to short to be slow!

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I had this problems of coils defective on my GTI 1.8T and I always drive around with a spare coil I will not go tru this again and not with the FA20 that coils are dificult to replace... hope this is is defective coils and not a problem with the system or the FRS but this is first FI system where I see so many people complaining about coils.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #3534
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatlion View Post
I had this problems of coils defective on my GTI 1.8T and I always drive around with a spare coil I will not go tru this again and not with the FA20 that coils are dificult to replace... hope this is is defective coils and not a problem with the system or the FRS but this is first FI system where I see so many people complaining about coils.
It's a non-issue. It is not unique to FI cars. It's not unique to Innovate kits. It has happened to NA cars (and seemingly at a higher rate than FI cars).

If your coil is weak, it will go. Innovate or not.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-20-2014), evan (02-20-2014), normancw (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #3535
kombatlion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
It's a non-issue. It is not unique to FI cars. It's not unique to Innovate kits. It has happened to NA cars (and seemingly at a higher rate than FI cars).

If your coil is weak, it will go. Innovate or not.
Partially Agree, yes happened more to NA that Innovate but those cars are track hard the other ones are driven hard on the street... then the other ones are innovate SC... I have not seen other FI complaining about this as much as here.

Dont get me wrong I was going to Order March 6 this kit because I like the simplicity and just like the kit and 270whp is my ultimate goal on this built but now I just dont feel very confident.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #3536
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Hasn't there been like 4 reported cases of the coil pack going?

If so, whats the big deal? replace it.

You could find a flaw in almost every kit out there, between melted fans, improper fitment, bumpers not going back on correctly, etc. I honestly feel this is the one of the most solid solutions out there, and i'm not just saying that being an owner of one.

When it comes down to it, you have to be prepared for things like this when putting forced induction onto an NA motor. In the grand scheme of things, even the other issues other kits have, its not even a big deal.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
evan (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #3537
evan

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatlion View Post
Partially Agree, yes happened more to NA that Innovate but those cars are track hard the other ones are driven hard on the street... then the other ones are innovate SC... I have not seen other FI complaining about this as much as here.

Dont get me wrong I was going to Order March 6 this kit because I like the simplicity and just like the kit and 270whp is my ultimate goal on this built but now I just dont feel very confident.
You sound like you want semi-guaranteed reliability. Do not mod your car if you can't handle it breaking. I've had many many modded cars in my life. It will break unless you drive it carefully all the time (but then, what's the point?). Again, it will break. Do it because you enjoy it and understand the risks.

Edit: If you want something fast and you want to limit your financial risk or other burdens, buy a factory car the way you want and don't mod.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #3538
kombatlion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
You sound like you want semi-guaranteed reliability. Do not mod your car if you can't handle it breaking. I've had many many modded cars in my life. It will break unless you drive it carefully all the time (but then, what's the point?). Again, it will break. Do it because you enjoy it and understand the risks.
I underthand that but in the FA20 coils and anything else around that area will be hard work is not like a VW you dont need any tools to change a coil... so to me is worrysome (i dont know if this word is right) that I have to deal with this on a trimester period...

coming from Audi and VW Turbo was very easy to fix stuff here not so much so I want to be sure what I am getting into... will keep reading the tread maybe is just like people said is a couple of bad coils...
Old 02-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #3539
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Out of all the blown coil pack issues, I have yet to see another person have to replace another or the same one, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

It is NOT that hard to get to the coils on this car. I've owned a subie for 10 years. Might have slightly less space but it is not that bad.

My opinion may be skewed since I like working on cars, if you aren't a hands on guy then I can understand.

@evan - good post, but you aren't allowed to post anymore until we see a pic of your intake/airaid setup
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #3540
Carwhisperer

Drives: A lot of supercars.
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Out of all the blown coil pack issues, I have yet to see another person have to replace another or the same one, someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

It is NOT that hard to get to the coils on this car. I've owned a subie for 10 years. Might have slightly less space but it is not that bad.

My opinion may be skewed since I like working on cars, if you aren't a hands on guy then I can understand.

@evan - good post, but you aren't allowed to post anymore until we see a pic of your intake/airaid setup

I've gone through 3 on my NA motor.
Carwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carwhisperer For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #3541
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Don't forget this is a first year model. There is always a learning curve.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #3542
Area86

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited SWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post
A similar thing happened to me... not quite that bad, though. The nut that holds the cable to the alternator was loose... it was the one nut/bolt that I forgot to tighten (I hope!) when I installed my kit. Because it was loose, it was causing sparking and started to melt the boot. My tuner caught the mistake before any real damage happened.
I think mine was caused by a loose nut as well. I ordered a new terminal and should have it today.

I went ahead and pulled the blower yesterday to change the gear oil and switch the plastic fittings to brass ones as well as change all the hex bolts to the stronger ones from McMaster. I was trying to hold off and do everything when my intercooler arrived but they are still backordered for another month. Glad I did it now because my gear oil was fairly low and plastic fittings were really loose. I also replaced my #1 coil pack which was really easy to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Area86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Area86 For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (02-20-2014)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.