follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #15
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
last thing i will do next is buy a car which i have to void the warranty to drive it...
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #16
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFormula View Post
I honestling don't think awd cars really need lsd. Especially if the computer ensures grip and power going to the right side of the car
Trust me, AWD cars still benefit from LSDs. Any car can understeer, regardless of which wheels (and how many of them) are doing the driving, and LSDs can help reduce it. Drive a 2004 Impreza, WRX and STI back-to-back-to-back around the same corners. Speed aside, you will definitely notice when the LSDs are doing their job.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:29 AM   #17
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was pretty set on ordering the Golf R,

But a few things are holding me back seeing how GTI/Golf R is progressing throughout the years.

1. Future Golf R may come with the awesome VAQ differential; as this is the first year for the GTI to have it; or actually any VAG cars including the Seat Leon 280.

2. The interior layout isn't my favorite. I love my Mk5 GTI's interior layout, and the new WRX/WRX STI has a similar look to that and the awesome looking steering wheel. However I don't want the STI because of the "paint issues" and engine.

3. The Polo GTI just came out with LED headlights; and I don't want to have old technology if we're on the verge of getting an update that would last us a good 5+ years before we even see any Laser headlights on some of the exotic cars.

But honestly, I think the interior is what is holding me back
Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
The new Golf R looks pretty awesome, I must say. Probably a lot better overall than the new STi. I'd like to drive one when they arrive but by the time the non-customer allocated cars arrive I hope to be long gone from selling VW's.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #19
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Not exacfly fully loaded GT86 if you arent boosted...
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
ok well...

You do realize that EVERY thing you added, added weight right???

So you're surprised that you add a bunch of stuff that gives you little to no benefit and a bit of a deficit and can't keep up with an inferior car??

You added a big brake kit (unsprung weight) without any power adder. You know what having a big brake kit is for right??? It's for slowing you down better and for longer periods of time to be able to go faster in the straight aways...

A bit of a tip, you have to be able to GO faster in the straight aways for that to help you.

Add an SC or a Turbo and get back to us on which performs better.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #21
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

So you're surprised that you add a bunch of stuff that gives you little to no benefit and a bit of a deficit and can't keep up with an inferior car??

You added a big brake kit (unsprung weight) without any power adder. You know what having a big brake kit is for right??? It's for slowing you down better and for longer periods of time to be able to go faster in the straight aways...

A bit of a tip, you have to be able to GO faster in the straight aways for that to help you.

Jaden
its not uncommon for a brake kit to drop a bunch of weight and power isnt the only thing that increases speeds. tires will let the car brake harder and go faster. that significantly reduced the amount of time between braking points as well.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 AM   #22
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:

Jaden
Or, you could take my review what it is. An opinion of comparing my 86 to the Golf R.

My car is no slower than a base 86 despite all the weight you say I have added as shown by our club lap times. The suspension mods (sway bars, coil overs and race springs do actually help around corners and the BBK means more consistent braking).

Since a factory supplied 86 with SC or Turbo is not available the comparison is mute. Otherwise you might as well put it against the Milltek tuned Golf R putting out 400HP. But then you'd say "compare that against a twinned 86 with SC and turbo". Most reviews compare factory available versions for that reason. It is a comparison of cars one can easily buy.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #23
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Not exacfly fully loaded GT86 if you arent boosted...
Fully loaded TRD86 is what I call my car as my "theme" is the TRD catalogue. When TRD put out a supercharger I can get hold of then we'll see. Until then I'm not adding a non OEM supercharger.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 AM   #24
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

Jaden

That's not always right. For daily sure it's power all day. But driving stock frs on a track or twisty pass, a brake will do wonder. My friend who track often told me the brake is the first thing u need to change out on frs to be truly fast after he drove it.

*aka he cooked stock brake too fast😂.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #25
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
that wasn't the main point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
That's not always right. For daily sure it's power all day. But driving stock frs on a track or twisty pass, a brake will do wonder. My friend who track often told me the brake is the first thing u need to change out on frs to be truly fast after he drove it.

*aka he cooked stock brake too fast��.
The main point is that he was trying to say a heavily modded twin wasn't as fast as a golf R when practically every mod he did wouldn't have gained him anything and might have lost something. He proved my point by responding that it had the similar lap times to stock frs'.

Don't say heavily modded in the same breath as stock performance times, if you're trying to make a comparison. That's all I'm saying.

Jaden

I've put less than $1000 in mods on my car and I promise it would be faster than a golf R.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #26
nzer

T
Quote:
The main point is that he was trying to say a heavily modded twin wasn't as fast as a golf R when practically every mod he did wouldn't have gained him anything and might have lost something. He proved my point by responding that it had the similar lap times to stock FRS.

Don't say heavily modded in the same breath as stock performance times, if you're trying to make a comparison. That's all I'm saying.

Jaden

I've put less than $1000 in mods on my car and I promise it would be faster than a golf R.
To make it easy for you I have linked to my OP. Have a good read and let me know where I said "heavily modded". Other than mentioning the brakes giving more of a safety margin I mentioned no mods at all.

OP http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...78&postcount=1

You're dreaming if you think a base 86 would be quicker than a Golf R with the same "good" driver unless it is on a twisty track without long straights.

Since the OP we have taken the Golf to a different track and it hits 200kph on the medium length straights without being too much slower around the corners. Don't think a stock 86 will match it, but would be more fun as my OP suggests.

I should add that a heavily modded 86 would be faster than a stock Golf R if that is a comparison you want. The lap times for one of our club members that has a turbo 86 with suspension mods, semi slicks and BBK look faster than the same driver could do in a Golf R, but as mentioned that was not the purpose of the OP.

Last edited by nzer; 01-13-2015 at 01:44 PM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #27
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
Fully loaded TRD86 is what I call my car as my "theme" is the TRD catalogue. When TRD put out a supercharger I can get hold of then we'll see. Until then I'm not adding a non OEM supercharger.

TRD had superchargers out.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #28
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
TRD had superchargers out.
Hence why I said one that I could buy easily as they were US$20k each and I think you had to buy two or something like that. It seemed it was more to meet the regs for a race series where parts had to be available than a genuine attempt to supply to the general public.