follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2023, 04:21 PM   #1023
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
Sure, just uproot your kids and break families apart and move away from all your friends and then when Oklahoma becomes overrun and too expensive just move on to the next place like nomads.

Careers and stability are overrated anyway, let's chase materialism.
I love these types of answers, its so simple!

-Shits too expensive? Just move somewhere cheaper bro, No big deal!
-Electric car charging sucks, range too short, broken charging stations, you can only go this way because charging stations, needs a million apps to charge, etc? Its the EV lifestyle bro, just adapt! NBD!
-Transit sucks, and it takes too long to get anywhere? Just move closer bro, NBD!
-Dont make enough money? Sheesh bro just make more money, NBD!
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-03-2023), WildCard600 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #1024
WildCard600

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I love these types of answers, its so simple!

-Shits too expensive? Just move somewhere cheaper bro, No big deal!
-Electric car charging sucks, range too short, broken charging stations, you can only go this way because charging stations, needs a million apps to charge, etc? Its the EV lifestyle bro, just adapt! NBD!
-Transit sucks, and it takes too long to get anywhere? Just move closer bro, NBD!
-Dont make enough money? Sheesh bro just make more money, NBD!

Right? Thank god the internet is here to tell us how simple it is!

We'll all be 6'3 230lb, 12 inch wang, 2% body fat, independently wealthy banging multiple supermodel girlfriends before we know it!
WildCard600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildCard600 For This Useful Post:
Sasquachulator (08-30-2023), soundman98 (09-03-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:41 PM   #1025
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
After demonstrating to my grandkids that stalling was nothing to fear, I had them master starting out with only the clutch and letting the engine maintain itself. Once they could feather the clutch, I cut them loose with the gas pedal. Worked like a charm for them.
I had her hold the car at about 1200 rpm and then slowly just feel the car moving forward a tiny bit as she let out the clutch and pushed it back in. She got that. Conceptually she can handle it. Emotionally, she needs some time after the crash, methinks.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-03-2023), Ultramaroon (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:51 PM   #1026
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
I had her hold the car at about 1200 rpm and then slowly just feel the car moving forward a tiny bit as she let out the clutch and pushed it back in. She got that. Conceptually she can handle it. Emotionally, she needs some time after the crash, methinks.
I get that. I could see how intimidated my grandkids were even without prior trauma. As long as she remains interested, enthusiasm will overtake hesitancy.

Rolling without the throttle is actually tougher. It forces the driver to feather the clutch because the idle control is slow to respond. It's fun to see their excitement when they finally get it.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #1027
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
170k in the Bay Area is not enough money to live off of.

Just kidding.

But a family income of 170k makes it hard to afford a house. A condo in a not so nice area is doable, but a 2 bedroom home in a place you'd want to live is easily a million bucks. 6300 a month for just your home payments, property tax, and insurance is difficult, and that's assuming you already saved enough to put 200k down. Assuming not being an ascetic monk, that's maybe 5 years of savings.

And you're still in a 2 bedroom.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-03-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #1028
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I get that. I could see how intimidated my grandkids were even without prior trauma. As long as she remains interested, enthusiasm will overtake hesitancy.

Rolling without the throttle is actually tougher. It forces the driver to feather the clutch because the idle control is slow to respond. It's fun to see their excitement when they finally get it.
My poor clutch!
Old 08-30-2023, 05:07 PM   #1029
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
My poor clutch!
Haha... we sacrifice for the greater good.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:02 PM   #1030
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I know that's a shot at me, we don't like the politics here. But we also don't want a massive mortgage. We make way above the average, but we like having extra to do what we want.
Definitely not a shot at you in any way.
You don't like politics there?
Hey, I'm from Floridah.
Enough said?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Nails (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 09:02 AM   #1031
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Definitely not a shot at you in any way.
You don't like politics there?
Hey, I'm from Floridah.
Enough said?
Yeah, the politics aren't great there either with DeSantis.

Our state politics suck, thankfully the mayor of OKC is a pretty reasonable guy and wants progress vs people like the Superintendent of the state schools.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:32 PM   #1032
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Personally, it is that simple really. The issue is the there are other things that keep you there that out weight the cost of living. My entire family except one sister lives within 40 miles of NYC. I would love to leave, go out west or a little more south, but I would miss a lot of family time. So we are here for now, which requires two good jobs and working hard to have a good life. I am not complaining at all, things are great but yeah my money could go a long way somewhere else. And it will in retirement.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #1033
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm lucky enough to live where the cost of living is fairly low. There are certainly parts of my state and several others where the cost of living is lower, but if I moved to say DFW I'd literally pay twice as much for my house. Easily.

But here's the thing when people say "not everyone can just pick up and move".

Yes they can. What they mean to say is "there are things more important to me than my cost of living".

Personally, I think it's important to recognize the distinction. You're not denied the power to make the decision - the option isn't unavailable to you, leaving you powerless to leave where you live. You're empowered and you made a different decision. It's the difference between being positive and being negative.

I would LIKE to live somewhere where I had an even lower cost of living than I do, but I'm not WILLING to make the sacrifices that it would take to get there. I don't see the reward (greater disposable income) to outweigh the cost (fewer city conveniences, etc.)

Just make an effort not to view things you don't do as things you "can't" do. For starters it makes you happier with the decisions you make because you recognize that you made them and why.

But also it helps you pay closer attention to WHY you made the decision and what factors (if any) could change the outcome of that decision.

Could the entire family pack up and move to Oklahoma? Probably not. But if you never consider that you may miss some small but possible solution because you were stuck on "can't". Maybe the difference in cost of living is greater than the cost of flying back 2-3 times a year for family stuff.

Point is, own the decision and the why. Don't make it a "can't".
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-01-2023), DriveDriftDogfight86 (09-01-2023), Ohio Enthusiast (09-01-2023), OkieSnuffBox (09-03-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 10:34 AM   #1034
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
I'm lucky enough to live where the cost of living is fairly low. There are certainly parts of my state and several others where the cost of living is lower, but if I moved to say DFW I'd literally pay twice as much for my house. Easily.

But here's the thing when people say "not everyone can just pick up and move".

Yes they can. What they mean to say is "there are things more important to me than my cost of living".

Personally, I think it's important to recognize the distinction. You're not denied the power to make the decision - the option isn't unavailable to you, leaving you powerless to leave where you live. You're empowered and you made a different decision. It's the difference between being positive and being negative.

I would LIKE to live somewhere where I had an even lower cost of living than I do, but I'm not WILLING to make the sacrifices that it would take to get there. I don't see the reward (greater disposable income) to outweigh the cost (fewer city conveniences, etc.)

Just make an effort not to view things you don't do as things you "can't" do. For starters it makes you happier with the decisions you make because you recognize that you made them and why.

But also it helps you pay closer attention to WHY you made the decision and what factors (if any) could change the outcome of that decision.

Could the entire family pack up and move to Oklahoma? Probably not. But if you never consider that you may miss some small but possible solution because you were stuck on "can't". Maybe the difference in cost of living is greater than the cost of flying back 2-3 times a year for family stuff.

Point is, own the decision and the why. Don't make it a "can't".
It's a "cant" if the situation is more of a "i settled on this" or "its the best i could do at the time", otherwise its more of a "wont" for various reasons.

But i dont think we really need to go this deep ideologically......

-You want a 2nd gen, but cant acquire it for various reasons but you can get a first gen...so you settled on the first gen.
-you want a twin (either first or second). You dont care which....but you made all the sacrifices to get that second gen (whether it was a good idea or not)
-you want a twin (either first or second). You dont care which....but it made far more sense to get the first gen so you get the first gen.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #1035
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Wherever I end up, I want to be sideways and smiling.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-03-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 02:22 PM   #1036
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard600 View Post
I already spent unwisely and had fun in my 20/30's. That's why I am still working. If I didn't have effed up priorities back then thinking "lol, YOLO bruh" I probably would have that Porsche and bounced out of here.

I'm not saying you should pinch every penny, eat only ramen and live in a cardboard box. I'm just saying if you're only making $170k you probably should worry about maxing you 401k, IRA and HSA before you run out and finance a $100k vehicle every 3-4 years. I had to learn the hard way, most people don't learn.
This is amusing. If I made 170K here in Florida, I could buy a new C8 with cash, pay off my mortgage and have a nice Hawaiian vacation and fly there in first class. And have plenty of cash left over.

Everything is relative.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-02-2023), soundman98 (09-03-2023)