follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2018, 02:22 AM   #43
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineVisionz View Post
Well fortunately enough for me, I live in a fairly flat area with smooth roads. Are you still on stock suspension/ride height? If you are, doesn't the sti front lip only "lower" the front of the car maybe 1 - 1.5 inch?
I am still on the stock suspension, but since I removed everything I could behind the front seats the car actually is raised a bit.

I'm not sure it is even that much lower, I had no problems with it when I was living in Mass. It is just this area can get random torrential downpours that rival Florida and I'll also admit I'm not one of those people that is going to baby any car.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #44
wild03

Drives: Silver 2017 Limited with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
What am I doing wrong here? When I shift to second gear, tachometer goes way down and when I release the clutch, tach jumps? For example, when I shift at 3,000 RPM, tach goes to 1,500 RPM during gear change, and while releasing the clutch tach jumps back and forth around 2,000 RPM.
You said, that's what you are doing wrong.

I try to only drop about 500 rpm. Ideally if you match the rpm for that gear at the going speed the shift would be smooth...I think.
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #45
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
What should I look out for when buying used?

Quote:
What am I doing wrong here? When I shift to second gear, tachometer goes way down and when I release the clutch, tach jumps? For example, when I shift at 3,000 RPM, tach goes to 1,500 RPM during gear change, and while releasing the clutch tach jumps back and forth around 2,000 RPM.

You are taking too long to complete the shift. You are also probably fully lifting off the throttle when really you want to lift just enough to drop the revs about 1000 before letting the clutch back out. It just takes practice. You will get the timing with lots of practice and then it becomes second nature.

Edit: this morning on the way to work I paid more attention to how much I lift (like I said it becomes second nature and you no longer think about it) and I do actually fully lift. But I also complete my shifts quickly so I don’t need to do a partial lift to prevent the revs from dropping too fast or too much.

Last edited by ermax; 10-12-2018 at 08:28 AM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #46
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
You are taking too long to complete the shift. You are also probably fully lifting off the throttle when really you want to lift just enough to drop the revs about 1000 before letting the clutch back out. It just takes practice. You will get the timing with lots of practice and then it becomes second nature.

Edit: this morning on the way to work I paid more attention to how much I lift (like I said it becomes second nature and you no longer think about it) and I do actually fully lift. But I also complete my shifts quickly so I don’t need to do a partial lift to prevent the revs from dropping too fast or too much.
I concur with the 1k drop at least from 1stt to second. Also if you are a slow shifter youll probably have to let the clutch out slowly as you rev engive to match the rpm for that gear at that speed...

Anyone knows of a graph for the speed to rpm for each gear?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #47
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild03 View Post
I concur with the 1k drop at least from 1stt to second. Also if you are a slow shifter youll probably have to let the clutch out slowly as you rev engive to match the rpm for that gear at that speed...

I was asked to release throttle completely during gear changes and once gear is changed then apply throttle. Do you think my teacher is wrong and how do I correct it now? Thanks.
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #48
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
OP, listen to the engine. Know the difference between HPFP, DI, and engine knock.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #49
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild03 View Post

I've been meaning to hunt down a tool for generating charts and just never think about it. Thanks for reminding me. I found this one that looks really freaking cool:
https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

Or use this link to preset all the details for a 2013 MT with 215/45R17:
https://apx6u.app.goo.gl/gu73

Last edited by ermax; 10-12-2018 at 04:43 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #50
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
In addition to everything that has been said. I always look closely at the engine hood liner or the condition of the underside of the hood which can tell you if anything has sprayed fluid anywhere or abnormal heat markings. Also get the car lifted on stands and crawl around under there with a flashlight, look for rust, broken metal and the condition of everything in general. Typically you can get a rough ideal of how the car was treated from doing those things.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #51
wild03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I've been meaning to hunt down a tool for generating charts and just never think about it. Thanks for reminding me. I found this one that looks really freaking cool:
https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

Or use this link to preset all the details for a 2013 MT with 215/45R17:
https://apx6u.app.goo.gl/gu73
That's a nice tool, thank you.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #52
wild03

Quote:
I was asked to release throttle completely during gear changes and once gear is changed then apply throttle. Do you think my teacher is wrong and how do I correct it now? Thanks.
I'm no expert, but I don't think it matters if you release throttle completely. What matters is that when you are on the next gear your rpm matches where the rpm should be for that gear at that speed.
For example, you rev to 3k on 1stgear and get to 15mph, you release throttle, shift, but by the time the clutch is engaging if the rpm are not close to 2k the car will jerk as the rpms from engine and transmission equalize.

See the tool posted above.

Releasing throttle completely is a way to prevent over reving or something.

I imagine that an expert just let's off the throttle a bit shifts and gets back on the throttle in a fluid motion.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #53
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Beyond the normal things, I'd look for signs of a turbo or supercharger install. I'd avoid heavily modded cars. Most aftermarket suspension setups are worse than stock. Get a manual. Have a good mechanic give an inspection.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote